Off Topic Messages

Proper Care of Vinyl

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:58 am

Now, most of my vinyl records sound terrific, decades on. But on YouTube, I hear uploads so filled with scratches and just plain static in the grooves, that I wonder what on Earth happened to their records! The only records in my possession that sound as crummy are the ones my parents loaned to a crazy guy who kept them in a spare, unused bathtub -- and they got wet! They wanted to strangle the dude.

So, all their old Frank Sinatra records are filled with static, and are very difficult to enjoy. (I have replaced most with the CDs, but I don't care as much for the "swinging" themes as I do for the misery-records like "Only The Lonely," "No One Cares," and "Where Are You?")

What are people doing wrong, on an everyday basis to cause such awful damage? I just heard this Blossoms record somebody uploaded, and wondered how it got so damaged. Most people didn't get their records tossed into a tub!

phpBB [video]

So, what are the rules of the road, specifically? Because I am now buying new vinyl quite a bit more than ever, sometimes in lieu of the CD. Depends on how I want to listen to it and the type of content.

rjm

Re: Proper Care of Vinyl

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 am

With proper care they sound great even at 50 years old

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:29 pm

keninlincs wrote:With proper care they sound great even at 50 years old

That's what I thought. But I'd like to know a sort of top 5 "no-no's" that causes this sort of thing to happen. From vinyl lovers.

The basics seem simple: don't stack, keep them clean and covered, etc. Use a good needle. Don't put your hands on them. I was taught this as a kid. (My folks had a beloved "hi-fi system.") But clearly, a lot of people harm their vinyl. Do they just leave the records out of the sleeves?

I know there are some 45 rpm carriers that encourage open stacking (had one), but even so, they generally weren't harmed to any significant degree. I kept the sleeves on. Then got rid of the thing. The singles are fine.

What do people do to their records?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:49 pm

I constantly look for vinyl at junkyard sales, market stalls, used goods shops, et cetera.
I only go through stacks of records if these are nicely stored in LP-size boxes without empty sleeves, LP's without sleeves, et cetera.
Sometimes people abuse vinyl by leaving the records out of the sleeves, throwing the records on the floor or table or whatever.
Also I never buy ex-jukebox or ex-library vinyl as usually that is handled badly.
I find lots and lots of rare LP's at prices varying from € 0,25 to € 1,00 ($0.40 to $1.45).
Mainly I am interested in limited releases of schools, local bands, local singers, local promotion discs promoting local talent.
Local does not necessarily mean my hometown but anywhere in the world.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Over the years, I've seen LPs leaning in stacks against windows, absorbing moisture and damp. I've seen stacks of 45s with no sleeves on them, tossed into drawers etc..
Also, remember, in years gone by, it would have been common enough to bring records to parties (the same way CDs and tapes were more recently). Once you start that, then you get wear and tear from overuse, mucky paws, alcohol fuelled wrecklessness.. the list goes on.
As a kid, I wasn't overly careful with tapes. They were so plentiful and easy to get hold of. I imagine it was the same with records at one point.

I guess all or some of the above would lead to the crackly hissy vinyl you hear on YouTube.

-------

Vinyl can be cleaned with warm water, you'd be surprised how much better a record can sound if it's gotten dirty over the years. Any records I've bought from 2nd hand stores or wherever, I've always cleaned them before playing.

- If you have a lid on your turntable, keep it closed when playing, or it'll attract dust.
- I tend to use a soft (dry )microfibre cloth to give the record a quick wipe before and after playing, to remove any dust etc.
- When stored, make it impossible for dust to enter the record sleeve. Position it accordingly.
- Sliding the record in/out of the inner sleeve, I tend to use my hand to increase the space between surfaces, to avoid micro scratches (if you know what I mean).

My Dad's old Lenco turntable had this soft brush thing that would clean the play area before it hit the needle. Seemed effective, but a little fiddly.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:31 pm

I don't care for vinyl ......never did. Too inconvenient to store & maintain. The CD/laser medium should've been invented in 1948, not 1981.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:59 pm

From what I've learned in 35 years of handling vinyl, there are two golden rules :

a) Don't EVER lend your records to anybody, or let anybody, other than yourself, touch your records.

b) Don't EVER take your records to radio stations, parties, and the like. If they want to listen to cool music, teach 'em how to wise up ! A Cd compilation will do, most of the times.

And this is no paranoia. It's based on experience, sadly.

Everything else is down to oneself. Proper storing and handling conditions will ensure your records are safe for many, many years !

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:17 am

Cds won't last 100 +yrs like records have not even the files will.Cds suck.I clean really dirty records with a microfiber brush or cloth and use Windex antibacterial cleaner don't use windex with ammonia or alcohol that will eat the vinyl.How do u guys take musty smell out of the covers where some idiot threw them in a basement?

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:07 am

ritchie valens wrote:Cds won't last 100 +yrs like records have not even the files will.Cds suck.I clean really dirty records with a microfiber brush or cloth and use Windex antibacterial cleaner don't use windex with ammonia or alcohol that will eat the vinyl.How do u guys take musty smell out of the covers where some idiot threw them in a basement?

Yes they will, if the CD's are stored properly. A 100 years is all I need, unless I live to be 200.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:07 pm

rjm wrote:
That's what I thought. But I'd like to know a sort of top 5 "no-no's" that causes this sort of thing to happen. From vinyl lovers.

The basics seem simple: don't stack, keep them clean and covered, etc. Use a good needle. Don't put your hands on them. I was taught this as a kid. (My folks had a beloved "hi-fi system.") But clearly, a lot of people harm their vinyl. Do they just leave the records out of the sleeves?

I know there are some 45 rpm carriers that encourage open stacking (had one), but even so, they generally weren't harmed to any significant degree. I kept the sleeves on. Then got rid of the thing. The singles are fine.

What do people do to their records?

rjm

1 Keep your records clean. Even brand new records have to be cleaned.
2 Only play your records on a PROPERLY set-up turntable. If you hear mistracking distortion it either means that your cartridge isn't properly aligned or that the stylus is worn out.
3 Make sure that yor stylus is clean.
4 Store records vertically.
5 Only play Styrene 45's with a conical stylus. A Hyper Elliptical or Line stylus will ruin them.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:09 pm

Claus wrote:
2 Only play your records on a PROPERLY set-up turntable. If you hear mistracking distortion it either means that your cartridge isn't properly aligned or that the stylus is worn out.
5 Only play Styrene 45's with a conical stylus. A Hyper Elliptical or Line stylus will ruin them.

That is why I sooooo despise vinyl records. They require so much repeat maintenance ..not only on the medium themselves but also on the equipment that plays them.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:34 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Claus wrote:

That is why I sooooo despise vinyl records. They require so much repeat maintenance ..not only on the medium themselves but also on the equipment that plays them.

Once the turntable set-up correctly, you don't really have to touch it. I can't remember when I last checked my set up or felt the need to. Yes, vinyl is high maintenance, but it's worth it, imo.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:36 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Cds won't last 100 +yrs like records have not even the files will.Cds suck.

100 +yrs for Cds and the files too but records always will and suck on one.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:54 am

Thanks, folks! I have been doing the right things, clearly.

I never lend out records because of my parents' horrible experience with that whackado who took them out of the sleeves and threw them into that bathtub! Classic, original releases of the Sinatra Capitol records! From when they first met. Really sad.

Can't believe other people do that to their own records. Wow.

Thanks again! :D

rjm

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:03 am

My dad used to have one of those record racks for keeping 45's in. That was a terrible way to store records - sleeveless, with the divider in the rack rubbing against the records. I remember him coming back from the store one day with a couple 45's, one even had a picture sleeve, but he tore it up! :facep: Fortunately, my uncle was my mentor when it came to record collecting. His records from the 50's are pristine.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:41 pm

ritchie valens wrote:Cds won't last 100 +yrs like records have not even the files will.Cds suck.

Do you even realize how immature you sound making such a false untrue statement? Properly factory pressed discs will certainly outlive it's buyer by many years.
Infact The Compact Discs main structure "Polycarbonate" is much more durable than vinyl with a of layer of aluminum or, gold on the surface making it reflective which has an infinite lifetime, unlike "Groove Wear" with vinyl.
The pits and lands that reproduce the audio is never touched by the laser unlike the wear and tear of needle on groove.

Since Vinyl can wear out after extensive use, and CD's do not, seems the only argument left could be analogue vs. digital sound right?. :wink:

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:46 am

Cds can get scratched easier than records.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:49 am

I sell vinyl it sells 100 times better for me.We rarely make a sale on cds even at 2.00 each.Records sell better.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:47 am

CD's can get very scuffed up before it impairs the listening experience - not so with records. And there is very good technology out now to repair scratched cd's. We have one of those machines at my library. I don't know of any similar repair that can be done on a vinyl record - but I still prefer vinyl. And I prefer cd's to downloads. Call me old school.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:11 am

Make a cd of rare albums that will never be reissued on cd cause record compaines are stupid sometimes.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:39 am

ritchie valens wrote:Make a cd of rare albums that will never be reissued on cd cause record compaines are stupid sometimes.

I do that for myself sometimes, but not to sell. I'll leave the bootlegging to others.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:40 am

Here's one way to preserve your vinyl and still enjoy the music....might cost you a pretty penny though....the ELP Laser Turntable would set you back around $ 10K (US)

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:02 pm

I HAD one like that! Back in the 80s! I swear it. The drawer came out, you put the record in, all of it. It was to fit in a cabinet, so you didn't need a lid.

It was not expensive like that! No way. That's a kick in the head. 10K?????

It was kind of a pain, and I gave it away. Would have kept it had I known!

rjm

Last edited by rjm on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:33 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Here's one way to preserve your vinyl and still enjoy the music....might cost you a pretty penny though....the ELP Laser Turntable would set you back around $ 10K (US)

Waaait a minute.. if I can't see the record being played, I don't wanna know about it. That's part of the vinyl experience if you ask me..

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:41 pm

A cd stand alone burner hooked to the receiver is best.A computer burner sounds like a transistor radio when played back.Where can u find one mine is worn out?