The Beatles Bible

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
beatlesbible
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

The Beatles Bible

Post by beatlesbible »

This is a message for Dr John Carpenter. I can't seem to send private messages, possibly as my account is new, so I'll do this publicly.

Hi John. I run a website called The Beatles Bible. I've had a few people get in touch with me trying to get hold of you, as for some reason you've got my website listed in your profile on this forum.

It's clearly causing confusion, and I worry that more people might think you are responsible for or connected to my site (which is very much a one-man operation, and that man is me). Would you consider removing the web address from your profile? I cannot field questions about Elvis on your behalf.

For everyone else, please ignore the current contact information on Dr John's profile - you cannot contact him via the Beatles Bible website.

Thanks for your attention.

Joe
http://www.beatlesbible.com

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Re: The Beatles Bible

Post by keninlincs »

Nice site Joe

-instagram kenh1964

drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Post by drjohncarpenter »

beatlesbible wrote:This is a message for Dr John Carpenter. I can't seem to send private messages, possibly as my account is new, so I'll do this publicly.

Hi John. I run a website called The Beatles Bible. I've had a few people get in touch with me trying to get hold of you, as for some reason you've got my website listed in your profile on this forum.

It's clearly causing confusion, and I worry that more people might think you are responsible for or connected to my site (which is very much a one-man operation, and that man is me). Would you consider removing the web address from your profile? I cannot field questions about Elvis on your behalf.

For everyone else, please ignore the current contact information on Dr John's profile - you cannot contact him via the Beatles Bible website.

Joe
I listed the URL there simply because it is one of my favorite web sites. It is not specifically meant to imply ownership of said location.

I have removed the link:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=6

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

TCB-FAN
Registered for: 15 years

Post by TCB-FAN »

beatlesbible wrote:This is a message for Dr John Carpenter. I can't seem to send private messages, possibly as my account is new, so I'll do this publicly.

Joe

Impressive stuff. I'm now a Beatle fan for life.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970

Topic author
beatlesbible
Registered for: 10 years 6 months

Post by beatlesbible »

drjohncarpenter wrote:I listed the URL there simply because it is one of my favorite web sites. It is not specifically meant to imply ownership of said location.

I have removed the link:
Hi John. Thanks for that. I realised you weren't passing it off as your own, but the profile pages on this forum seem to mark any given URL as a contact for that person - hence the confusion.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the site! Keep up the good work here. If you want to drop me an email (joe at beatlesbible dot com) I'll forward you the messages I've been sent from people trying to contact you (I think I still have two of them).

Joe

Kylan

Post by Kylan »

cant wait to get the extended edition of Tune-In! should be awesome!

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 2 months

Post by rjm »

Well, it's a cool site! I have learned much I didn't know before. I kind of doubted John was officially involved, as he's he's pretty busy in these parts. But he's an ardent Beatles fan, and I think he introduced a lot of Elvis fans to some top-drawer information about ... the, uh, other fellas! ;) Viva The Lads!

Wish I could catch the "Elvis and US" exhibit in Britain, but I know folks who have been, and it's wonderful.

All the best from an Elvis fan!
Love Is All You Need,
rjm

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

drjohncarpenter

beatlesbible wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I listed the URL there simply because it is one of my favorite web sites. It is not specifically meant to imply ownership of said location.

I have removed the link:
Hi John. Thanks for that. I realised you weren't passing it off as your own, but the profile pages on this forum seem to mark any given URL as a contact for that person - hence the confusion.

Anyway, I'm glad you like the site! Keep up the good work here. If you want to drop me an email (joe at beatlesbible dot com) I'll forward you the messages I've been sent from people trying to contact you (I think I still have two of them).

Joe
Will do!

Elvis loved the Beatles very, very much.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

rjm

Post by rjm »

Just been there again, and there's something I would like to share. I found some tweets, and there's a a fellow called @beatleMAL , an account in tribute to Malcolm Evans, Elvis's most favorite "Beatle"! It's a new stage play about him and his friendship with the Lads. Elvis never forgot him after the meeting. He also, in a 1969 interview, delightedly described Mal's scene in "Help" where he's swimming.

Might be fun or enlightening to check out another "Mal-fan," as Elvis was!

The Internet is so deeply layered; never know what you'll find.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

javilu
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by javilu »

rjm wrote:
Wish I could catch the "Elvis and US" exhibit in Britain, but I know folks who have been, and it's wonderful.
I've been there and it certainly is.
I'd post some pics but the doc doesn't like that.

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

Chad Gates

Post by Chad Gates »

javilu wrote:
rjm wrote:
Then we wont tell him that you posted them, Post them and be damned :wink: .

Alan.

javilu

Post by javilu »

Chad Gates wrote:
javilu wrote:
rjm wrote:
Then we wont tell him that you posted them, Post them and be damned :wink: .

Alan.
LOL, thanks Alan.

(These are just a selection, too much to post!)

“Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot.”

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Thanks for the photos, Javi. I wish I could see this exhibit !

A couple of comments :

--Those shoes, are probably the ones he's wearing in those great September 1954 pics taken in Memphis (Katz Drugstore opening) :
540909 a.jpg
540909 b.jpg
--It's strange that the acetate for the first album includes the LSP prefix on the label. If this was given to him before release, shouldn't that be LPM ? It looks like the LSP prefix wasn't used for this album until 1962 :

http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-1254-e-elvis-presley/

--The "Love Me Tender" acetate - anybody knows what those "D.S." numbers mean ? Are those take numbers ?

--I didn't know The Beatles had covered "True Love" and "Wooden Heart" in their live concerts.

Thanks again, Javi !

javilu

Post by javilu »

You're welcome Mister Moon!
Luck has it I'll be in England for a couple of days in early February again.

drjohncarpenter

4 out of 15, you show remarkable restraint. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

javilu

Post by javilu »

Thanks for counting, John!
Have a great week :)

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by George Smith »

That's the first time I've ever seen the Tree demo for "Heartbreak Hotel": thank you for posting this.

Is this Elvis' own copy as played to him by Axton?

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

rjm

Post by rjm »

Thanks! Brought us a little closer to this awesome exhibition! Wish I could see it.

(In the Cape Stance, you must completely overextend your ankle!)

rjm

Aeschylus

javilu

Post by javilu »

rjm wrote:Thanks! Brought us a little closer to this awesome exhibition! Wish I could see it.

(In the Cape Stance, you must completely overextend your ankle!)

rjm

You're welcome and don't underestimate my physical abilities :P

drjohncarpenter

George Smith wrote:That's the first time I've ever seen the Tree demo for "Heartbreak Hotel": thank you for posting this.

Is this Elvis' own copy as played to him by Axton?
I doubt it.

This exhibition has issues, which makes one question the authenticity of its artifacts.

For example, the 1955 Tree demo acetate you speak of was not "sent to Elvis prior to his January 1956 RCA recording session amongst other acetates for Elvis to listen to and decide which songs he wanted to record."

Mae Boren Axton had already given Presley a copy of the "Heartbreak Hotel" demo on November 10/11, 1955 at a Nashville DJ convention, and the singer incorporated it into his set no later than December 9. The copy on display also looks to be unplayed.

Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

Finally, the reversed, blown-up images from Tupelo '56 and Burbank '68 are kind of embarrassing. Elvis was not a left-handed guitarist.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

javilu

Post by javilu »

Thanks John for commenting on the pics.
drjohncarpenter wrote: Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

There's only one person in the United States we ever wanted to meet ... not that he wanted us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolised him so much. ... You can't imagine what a thrill that was last night. Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.

Statement (28 August 1965) after meeting Elvis Presley, as quoted in The Leading Men of MGM (2005) by Jane Ellen Wayne, p. 386; also partly quoted in The Beatles : The Authorized Biography (1968) by Hunter Davies, p. 19

drjohncarpenter

javilu wrote:Thanks John for commenting on the pics.
drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

There's only one person in the United States we ever wanted to meet ... not that he wanted us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolised him so much. ... You can't imagine what a thrill that was last night. Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.

Statement (28 August 1965) after meeting Elvis Presley, as quoted in The Leading Men of MGM (2005) by Jane Ellen Wayne, p. 386; also partly quoted in The Beatles : The Authorized Biography (1968) by Hunter Davies, p. 19
The URL for that information is:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Quotes

The wiki page proves that neither Lennon quote in that exhibit is correct, further underscoring my concerns about the veracity of their items.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

javilu

Post by javilu »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:Thanks John for commenting on the pics.
drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

The URL for that information is:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Quotes

The wiki page proves that neither Lennon quote in that exhibit is correct, further underscoring my concerns about the veracity of their items.
Sintax was changed but the message is the same.

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Thanks Javi,cool pics

-instagram kenh1964

memfisking
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by memfisking »

Thanks Javilu, great stuff.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.