Off Topic Messages

Sir Bob Geldof: 'All humans will die before 2030'

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:18 pm

"The musician-turned-activist reckons the world will end in 2030 - leading to the extinction of humankind.

Sir Bob, 61, based his miserable prediction on the effects of climate change.

“The world can decide in a fit of madness to kill itself," he told a group of youngsters at a summit in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The former Boomtown Rats singer also warned "the next war will not be a World War One or a World War Two, it will be the end."

He added: "We may not get to 2030. We need to address the problem of climate change urgently."

Sir Bob is best-known for his attempts in helping to fight famine in Africa, staging Live Aid at Wembley Stadium in 1985.

He finished his speech by apologising for being "bloody miserable", but added: "just get on with it"."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/342876/Sir-Bob-Geldof-All-humans-will-die-before-2030

Re: Sir Bob Geldof: 'All humans will die before 2030'

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Let's not forget that this is the man who named his last album "How To Compose Popular Songs That Will Sell", only to see it reach number 89 in the charts and then disappear.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:00 pm

Except that he did not say what you appear to quote in the thread title. He actually said "We may not get to 2030. We need to address the problem of climate change urgently."

Chris

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Bob who ???? Is he from the same cult who predicted the world would end in 2011 ?? It seems these "doomsday cults" keep poppin out of the woodwork and shootin' off their pieholes every now and then. They're a dime a dozen.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:15 am

ChrisM wrote:Except that he did not say what you appear to quote in the thread title. He actually said "We may not get to 2030. We need to address the problem of climate change urgently."

Chris

People read what they want to read, not what is actually said!

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:23 am

It's a topic title! It's the sizzle that sells the steak.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:06 pm

epf wrote:"The musician-turned-activist reckons the world will end in 2030 - leading to the extinction of humankind.

“The world can decide in a fit of madness to kill itself," he told a group of youngsters at a summit in Johannesburg, South Africa.

The former Boomtown Rats singer also warned "the next war will not be a World War One or a World War Two, it will be the end."

He added: "We may not get to 2030. We need to address the problem of climate change urgently."

Sir Bob is best-known for his attempts in helping to fight famine in Africa, staging Live Aid at Wembley Stadium in 1985.

He finished his speech by apologising for being "bloody miserable", but added: "just get on with it"."

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/342876/Sir-Bob-Geldof-All-humans-will-die-before-2030

As noted, your topic title implies a direct quote from Geldof, which is false. Is the Daily Star a tabloid? Because such puerile headlines are a hallmark of crass, cheap tabloid journalism. Can you please fix it?

Geldof's feelings on climate change mirror mine, and millions of concerned people all over the world. Good for him, speaking out.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:"The musician-turned-activist reckons the world will end in 2030 - leading to the extinction of humankind.

As noted, your topic title implies a direct quote from Geldof, which is false. Is the Daily Star a tabloid? Because such puerile headlines are a hallmark of crass, cheap tabloid journalism. Can you please fix it?

Geldof's feelings on climate change mirror mine, and millions of concerned people all over the world. Good for him, speaking out.

No, i won't fix it. Did you bother to click on the link? There is your quote, full in your face. I just did copy and paste, nothing else. I did not make this quote up, it comes straight from the article. If it bothers you, you may want to contact The Daily Star.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 pm

rjm wrote:It's a topic title! It's the sizzle that sells the steak.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Like i said in my previous post, i did not make this topic title up. It is a straight copy and paste from the original article. It even has a subtitle: "SIR BOB GELDOF has declared we ALL have less than 17 years to live." By clicking the link i provided readers would have spotted that. It seems not everyone bothered to click on the link. That is fine with me, but i did not make up the headline of this article. Like i said, it is the headline of the original artice and since i do not work for The Daily Star i can not fix it.

At least people are responding to it, whether they approve of Sir Bob or not. That is good, we need a discussion on this topic. I think that he indeed voices the worries of millions around the globe.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:23 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Bob who ???? Is he from the same cult who predicted the world would end in 2011 ?? It seems these "doomsday cults" keep poppin out of the woodwork and shootin' off their pieholes every now and then. They're a dime a dozen.

This seems a remarkably disrespectful post considering the man in question was the mastermind behind both Band Aid and Live Aid, helped raise millions of pounds and ultimately saved many, many lives.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:25 am

epf wrote:No, i won't fix it. Did you bother to click on the link? There is your quote, full in your face. I just did copy and paste, nothing else. I did not make this quote up, it comes straight from the article. If it bothers you, you may want to contact The Daily Star.

Your rudeness, in light of my polite request, is not appreciated. Gloves off now!

I did indeed "bother to click on the link." How in the hell I do you imagine I learned it was from the Daily Star?

For your information, I never make comment on articles I have not read.

And, as is proven by reading said article, the title is not a Geldof quote.

My request was simple: that you not perpetuate such rampant stupidity by the Daily Star by leaving your cut-and-paste of the fake quote on this topic. But, clearly, such courtesy, let alone recognition of how offensive this is to any intelligent person, is beyond your capabilities.

Idea: do us all a big favor and refrain from posting tabloid crap on this forum. Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
epf wrote:No, i won't fix it. Did you bother to click on the link? There is your quote, full in your face. I just did copy and paste, nothing else. I did not make this quote up, it comes straight from the article. If it bothers you, you may want to contact The Daily Star.

Your rudeness, in light of my polite request, is not appreciated. Gloves off now!

I did indeed "bother to click on the link." How in the hell I do you imagine I learned it was from the Daily Star?

For your information, I never make comment on articles I have not read.

And, as is proven by reading said article, the title is not a Geldof quote.

My request was simple: that you not perpetuate such rampant stupidity by the Daily Star by leaving your cut-and-paste of the fake quote on this topic. But, clearly, such courtesy, let alone recognition of how offensive this is to any intelligent person, is beyond your capabilities.

Idea: do us all a big favor and refrain from posting tabloid crap on this forum. Thanks.

Have a nice day.

Gee, gloves off? You must be kidding...

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:21 am

"SIR BOB GELDOF has declared we ALL have less than 17 years to live."

In my case, odds are he's probably right.... :|

Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:34 am

Geldof will more than likely be dead by 2030. Isn't he like in his 80's?

Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:26 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Geldof will more than likely be dead by 2030. Isn't he like in his 80's?

Try Google, then you will have all the answers.

Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:03 am

That's your job.