Off Topic Messages

"The GL"

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 pm

This is not directed to anyone in particular. Just an observation.

Not merely in this forum, but in *any* Internet discussion group, anywhere, there should be a global setting: when ANYONE tells ANYONE else to "GET A LIFE," they should get a warning about inappropriate invective. (Even if they use slightly different wording.)

It should be called "The GL."

That one thing is said EVERYWHERE (Google it! "get a life"), from people who know *nothing* about the lives of other people.

Speaking solely for me, I run a non-profit organization with client-problems, parents and clients who say they can pay something and then they don't, donation-shortages and broken promises, utility bill problems, Yelp salesmen, Coupon-Clipper salespeople, personnel problems, and the real-estate guy calls to say you're way behind on the rent and he might have to put it up for lease NOW, and your small but necessary stock portfolio just plummeted . . . And then you have two doctor's appt.s on the same day, and there's not much time. And you get a phone call from your other doctor that your MRI authorization has "a problem" and YOU must call your insurance company (which then takes four hours of voice-mail/on-hold-tag!) to resolve it.

Oh, and to top it off, some relative you haven't seen in two years will go, sneering: "is that book you were supposed to be writing, years ago, ever coming out?" And the washing machine just broke down!

So, you'll be at work, or in a waiting room, or a restaurant, or on the phone, stressing over the time it's taking, drawing one long peaceful breath, and sneaking a nice surf through FB, tumblr, Blogger, FECC, etc. when you get a moment (or an evening) away from the stress coming at you from all directions -- and someone will say "get a life." :shock:

Other people have their own responsibilities that I don't know *anything* about. But without fail, someone will say "GET A LIFE" to someone else. Some people have thicker skin than others regarding The GL.

{grrrrrrrrr}

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Re:

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:06 am

rjm wrote: It should be called "The GL."

It'll never catch on. The title is too clunky.

Re:

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:26 am

rjm wrote:This is not directed to anyone in particular. Just an observation.

Not merely in this forum, but in *any* Internet discussion group, anywhere, there should be a global setting: when ANYONE tells ANYONE else to "GET A LIFE," they should get a warning about inappropriate invective. (Even if they use slightly different wording.)

It should be called "The GL."

That one thing is said EVERYWHERE (Google it! "get a life"), from people who know *nothing* about the lives of other people.

Speaking solely for me, I run a non-profit organization with client-problems, parents and clients who say they can pay something and then they don't, donation-shortages and broken promises, utility bill problems, Yelp salesmen, Coupon-Clipper salespeople, personnel problems, and the real-estate guy calls to say you're way behind on the rent and he might have to put it up for lease NOW, and your small but necessary stock portfolio just plummeted . . . And then you have two doctor's appt.s on the same day, and there's not much time. And you get a phone call from your other doctor that your MRI authorization has "a problem" and YOU must call your insurance company (which then takes four hours of voice-mail/on-hold-tag!) to resolve it.

Oh, and to top it off, some relative you haven't seen in two years will go, sneering: "is that book you were supposed to be writing, years ago, ever coming out?" And the washing machine just broke down!

So, you'll be at work, or in a waiting room, or a restaurant, or on the phone, stressing over the time it's taking, drawing one long peaceful breath, and sneaking a nice surf through FB, tumblr, Blogger, FECC, etc. when you get a moment (or an evening) away from the stress coming at you from all directions -- and someone will say "get a life." :shock:

Other people have their own responsibilities that I don't know *anything* about. But without fail, someone will say "GET A LIFE" to someone else. Some people have thicker skin than others regarding The GL.

{grrrrrrrrr}

rjm

I think you miss the point of the phrase, RJM! It's not making assumptions about anybody's life, but simply a phrase to point out the amount of time they are devoting to a trivial matter. On this board it's rarely used other than when someone is nit-picking or being, frankly, idiotic. I certainly make no apologies for using it when it was suggested I had spent seven years on here as some of long-life troll who had somehow infiltrated the board and was told that an eye was going to be kept on me to make sure I behaved. In fact, I have rarely said any phrase with more conviction.

Re: "The GL"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:05 am

I wasn't thinking of you! Sorry. ;)

But, seriously, you weren't on that radar when I thought of it.

It's used often, in place of argument. In other words, when someone is frustrated, and this is all over the 'net, they dismiss the other person, personally -- in terms of their "life." In other words, if you're on the 'net and someone disagrees with you, that's the last thing they say.

I don't recall your using it, in any event. You may even have been on the receiving end, at times, but I can't remember where or, uh, when. (That lyric popped into my head, Freudian-like.)

I'm not sure who determines what is "a trivial matter." You never know what might have significance, so I look at everything, never knowing what might be there.

But even when a truly ephemeral matter is at issue, that phrase is unfair in a space where no one knows what another's life is all about.

Discussions such as these offer many things, but one is escape from our non-trivial struggles. And that phrase trivializes someone's whole life. That can't be right.

If a matter is not of interest, one should scroll past it, instead of plunging in the sword. That's what I meant.

rjm

Re:

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:49 am

You could just unleash "The FU" response :)

Re: "The GL"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:45 am

TJ wrote:You could just unleash "The FU" response :)

Well, right now I'm unleashing the ROFLMAO response! Great suggestion, TJ!

rjm