Off Topic Messages

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm

eligain wrote:
KHoots wrote:I'm wondering....was he lip-synching that?


It's pretty obvious.


Yes, I know. :D

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:44 pm

eligain wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:
GospelBlues wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote: Where are you from Mike, ..................Here in the U.S. Halloween is a big event that kicks off every October 1st, with most people really putting a lot of effort and fun into it, decorating their homes inside and out, and stores and business doing the same.



I live in England buddy. But I lived in the States for a few years. I just don't remember the 'Season' lasting for a month, or anybody (I knew) decorating inside their homes for a month.


It's pretty much been celebrated for over a month for as long as I remember and I'm 52. They start having Halloween stuff in the stores by early to mid September. I used to decorate my house as a kid for the whole month.

BTW, The Monster Mash was one of my favorites, first discovering my friend's brothers single in 68 or so then buying the re-issue in 73 on Parrot Records. I wore that single out!



It is a catchy tune, and i find myself singing it a lot thru out the Halloween season, trying to sound like Boris Karloff, i go to Halloween party's every year, and this song is played endlessly, and everyone will be dancing to it, it's so much fun, gets everyone in a great mood. :smt077

Image
Image

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:08 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Well..if it's a lie Bobby Pickett told it.


"Elvis Presley thought "Monster Mash" was one of the dumbest songs ever recorded.
"I was a real Elvis fan," said Bobby Pickett. "One day after the song had become a hit, I bumped into this girl who used to hang around Elvis' house in Los Angeles. So I asked her, 'How's the King?'

"'Well, he hates your record, Bobby,' she said. When I asked why, she told me, 'He thinks it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard.'

"So I said, 'Well, whoever liked him anyway?' I don't think he knew who Boris Karloff was, to tell you the truth."

Although Karloff was alive when the record was released, Pickett never met him. "I heard that he was in a record store and was buying my album, which had 'Monster Mash' on it, and a friend on mine was there and said, 'Oh, Mr. Karloff, I know the young man who did the song and he's a real big fan of yours.' And Karloff said, 'I love his record.' So I was thrilled."


Check mate! ::rocks


i believe that Bobby "Boris" Pickett actually did meet Boris Karloff. When i met Pickett at Spookyworld theme park near Boston in the 1990's, I asked him if he ever met Boris Karloff and he said he had. They appeared on a 1960's music show (a Halloween special to be exact) and Karloff actually sang part of "Monster Mash" on the show. The show was called "Shindig" and it also featured Lurch from the "Addams Family" t.v. show.
I also asked him if he had any Elvis stories to tell (i make it a point to always ask older celebrities if they ever met Elvis...always hoping to hear something "new" about the King....Elvis seemed to know EVERYONE in show business.) He quoted the Elvis comments exactly as they appear here. That Elvis reportedly said "Monster Mash" was the stupidest song he ever heard.
* Disclaimer: That is exactly what Pickett told me but that doesn't make it a true statement.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Well..if it's a lie Bobby Pickett told it.


I guess we don't need to wait, as you clearly cannot produce a verifiable, direct quote from Elvis regarding this song.

Thank you for proving my point.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:Well..if it's a lie Bobby Pickett told it.


I guess we don't need to wait, as you clearly cannot produce a verifiable, direct quote from Elvis regarding this song.

Thank you for proving my point.


If you require a direct quote from Elvis about a subject, you can safely dismiss all the MM books as they tell stories but Elvis does not confirm them!

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:03 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:If you require a direct quote from Elvis about a subject, you can safely dismiss all the MM books as they tell stories but Elvis does not confirm them!


Read the topic again, and use your common sense. The context here requires something more than an anonymous girl that Bobby Pickett ran into one day.

Hope this helps.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:14 pm

No, it's YOUR responsibility to prove Elvis didn't say it. The ball is in your court. It is up to you to prove Bobby Pickett isn't/wasn't telling the truth. Sorry, but google can't help you on this one, Doc. :lol:

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:23 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:No ...


Quit derailing topics with your nonsense. I've no doubt the Pickett anecdote is true, but it is a second-hand, anonymous source, and cannot be considered as coming from Elvis Presley. You must be very slow, as I've detailed this at least three times to date.

Move on, and thanks for popping in.

::rocks
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:24 pm

The Beach Boys perform "The Monster Mash" on Shindig, 1964 :

phpBB [video]

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:No ...


Quit derailing topics with your nonsense. I've no doubt the Pickett anecdote is true, but it is a second-hand, anonymous source, and cannot be considered as coming from Elvis Presley. You must be very slow, as I've detailed this at least three times to date.

Move on, and thanks for popping in.

::rocks


Ditto...I have asked the same thing from you at least 4 times...but you keep going back to the same old thing..."You prove it." Again, I am not the one that has to prove anything...I was only quoting what Bobby Pickett said. Don't get mad at me, get mad at google. haha

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:34 pm

Mister Moon wrote:The Beach Boys perform "The Monster Mash" on Shindig, 1964 :

phpBB [video]



This debut by the Beach Boys was taped on Thursday, December 17, 1964, and aired on Wednesday, December 23, 1964, as part of the "Shindig!" Christmas Special. It must have been Mike Love's idea to cover the tune. What a genius.

They did better that night, opening with their amazing current single, "Dance, Dance, Dance":


phpBB [video]

http://www.tv.com/shows/shindig/show-16-december-23-1964-beach-boys-marvin-gaye-righteous-brothers-99903/

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:I was only quoting what Bobby Pickett said.


Your memory is also not too sharp. Who posted this on page 1?

Fairchild1171 wrote:Thanks man. I always liked it. I was just posting what Elvis thought of the song. :lol:


Move on, quit derailing this topic. Have a nice day.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:38 pm

"It must have been Mike Love's idea to cover the tune. What a genius."

Now don't go making assumptions.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:46 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:The Beach Boys perform "The Monster Mash" on Shindig, 1964 :

phpBB [video]



This debut by the Beach Boys was taped on Thursday, December 17, 1964, and aired on Wednesday, December 23, 1964, as part of the "Shindig!" Christmas Special. It must have been Mike Love's idea to cover the tune. What a genius.

They did better that night, opening with their amazing current single, "Dance, Dance, Dance":


phpBB [video]

http://www.tv.com/shows/shindig/show-16-december-23-1964-beach-boys-marvin-gaye-righteous-brothers-99903/


Thanks, Doc !

Those were the days. The Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, and The Righteous Brothers, all in the same TV show, the same day !

Fabulous version of "Dance, Dance, Dance" !!!

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:50 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:The Beach Boys perform "The Monster Mash" on Shindig, 1964 :

phpBB [video]



This debut by the Beach Boys was taped on Thursday, December 17, 1964, and aired on Wednesday, December 23, 1964, as part of the "Shindig!" Christmas Special. It must have been Mike Love's idea to cover the tune. What a genius.

They did better that night, opening with their amazing current single, "Dance, Dance, Dance":


phpBB [video]

http://www.tv.com/shows/shindig/show-16-december-23-1964-beach-boys-marvin-gaye-righteous-brothers-99903/


Thanks, Doc !

Those were the days. The Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, and The Righteous Brothers, all in the same TV show, the same day !

Fabulous version of "Dance, Dance, Dance" !!!


My pleasure. It was an AMAZING time for new music.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:50 am

Gospel Blues wrote:Bobby Pickett and his #1 hit for 2 weeks in September and October 1962, Bobby performing on The "American Bandstand", with Dick Clark, October 13, 1962 I hope you enjoy these videos for the beginning of the Halloween Season that kicks off this October 1st. smt178

This video is Bobby Boris Pickett on Dick Clarke's American Bandstand.

phpBB [video]



This video has the original Studio version with a 1950's theme to it.

phpBB [video]



You can go to YouTube to see some more videos o


Thanks very much for posting this, i love this song by Bobby Boris Pickett' every Halloween Party i go to, this is the Highlight song that is played alot. :smt023 :smt074

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:No, it's YOUR responsibility to prove Elvis didn't say it......


I have no idea whether brother Bobby said it or not, or whether the story is true or not, but I'll say that one cannot prove someone didn't say something. It can only be proven that they did.

Isn't that what they say is proving a negative?

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Thank you KHoots. All you can do is take Bobby Pickett at his word...which I would rather do than a "doubting thomas." :wink: Keep it on the Square and Compasses.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:48 pm

KHoots wrote:I have no idea whether brother Bobby said it or not, or whether the story is true or not ...


For the last time, the point, which for some of our more opaque thinkers is impossible to grasp, is not that Pickett's anecdote is being doubted, but that the so-called criticism of his #1 hit derives from an anonymous girl who claims to have heard Elvis giving his assessment.

So, to ascribe this critique as a direct quote from Elvis Presley is wrong, period.

It's actually not that complicated. ;-)

Thank you.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:04 am

Yes, we get it...a girl that used to hang with Elvis told Bobby...but we are stating what Bobby had said....Don't get all riled up lil' buddy. :wink:

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:18 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Yes, we get it...a girl that used to hang with Elvis told Bobby...but we are stating what Bobby had said...


And who posted this on page 1?

Fairchild1171 wrote:Thanks man. I always liked it. I was just posting what Elvis thought of the song. :lol:


Speaking of "we," are there two of you behind that keyboard? The picture becomes clearer now. ;-)

Now, scoot! Quit derailing the topic.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:43 am

"Speaking of "we," are there two of you behind that keyboard? The picture becomes clearer now."

I was going to ask you the same thing. :shock:

"And who posted this on page 1?

Fairchild1171 wrote:
Thanks man. I always liked it. I was just posting what Elvis thought of the song."



Figure of speech..but you know that, you just like to hear yourself bark. :wink:

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:25 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:"Speaking ...


Scoot!

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:03 am

Don't you love me lil' buddy? :lol:

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:10 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Don't you love me ...


Not nearly as much as you love this topic, with 54 visits, you more than double the number visits by the guy who created it:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?mode=who_visited_a_topic&t=79411&f=2

Kinda pathetic, but there it is. ;-)

Now, scoot!