Off Topic Messages

Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:30 am

Bobby Pickett and his #1 hit for 2 weeks in September and October 1962, Bobby performing on The "American Bandstand", with Dick Clark, October 13, 1962 I hope you enjoy these videos for the beginning of the Halloween Season that kicks off this October 1st. smt178

This video is Bobby Boris Pickett on Dick Clarke's American Bandstand.

phpBB [video]

This video has the original Studio version with a 1950's theme to it.

phpBB [video]

You can go to YouTube to see some more videos o
Last edited by GospelBlues on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett The Monster Mash

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 am

Elvis never liked that one. "The King was unimpressed. Elvis Presley thought "Monster Mash" was the most ridiculous song he'd ever heard. Boris Karloff loved it!"

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:42 am

I never heard that before, oh well, i posted this for anyone that might enjoy it. :D

Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 am

Thanks man. I always liked it. I was just posting what Elvis thought of the song. :lol:

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett Sings "The Monster Mash"

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:01 am

Was it a graveyard smash?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:19 pm

smt186 :lol: that's a good one keninlincs' Ill bet it was and still is for all at the Graveyards. :smt023 :smt077
Last edited by GospelBlues on Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm wondering....was he lip-synching that?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:07 pm

KHoots wrote:I'm wondering....was he lip-synching that?

Good question KHoots, did they lip sync on American Bandstand back in 1962, i would think that they would have the singers sing live, if he was, he did a good job at it. :D

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Yes, he is lip synching as did most of the shows back then. The Lawrence Welk show, the Arthur Smith show...they all lip synched. At the start of the video...the guy in the mask is wearing the exact same mask in this candid Elvis clip...Lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83MYFG3mds

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:25 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Yes, he is lip synching as did most of the shows back then. The Lawrence Welk show, the Arthur Smith show...they all lip synched. At the start of the video...the guy in the mask is wearing the exact same mask in this candid Elvis clip...Lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z83MYFG3mds

I did not think that singers would do that back then on Live Television, and thanks for the Link, i saw the same mask your talking about. :smt023

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Ever notice how the song shares the same melody with Mashed Potato Time.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:33 pm

GospelBlues wrote: the beginning of the Halloween Season that kicks off this October 1st.

Great song. Is that right, the Halloween Season lasts for a month ?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:04 pm

mike edwards66 wrote:
GospelBlues wrote: the beginning of the Halloween Season that kicks off this October 1st.

Great song. Is that right, the Halloween Season lasts for a month ?

Where are you from Mike, i live in the U.S. and Halloween is 3rd in being one of the biggest times of the year here next to Christmas and Thanksgiving. But Halloween sells out Thanksgiving when it comes to Merchandise, and is 2nd only to Christmas in sales.

Here in the U.S. Halloween is a big event that kicks off every October 1st, with most people really putting a lot of effort and fun into it, decorating their homes inside and out, and stores and business doing the same.

Stores start stocking tons of Halloween items usually 2-3 weeks in advance with all the Halloween Decorations for inside and outside, Costumes, and tons of Candy. I started Decorating our house on the 1st and still have a lot more to go. :smt077

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 pm

GospelBlues wrote:Bobby Pickett and his #1 hit for 2 weeks in September and October 1962, Bobby performing on The "American Bandstand", with Dick Clark, October 13, 1962 I hope you enjoy these videos for the beginning of the Halloween Season that kicks off this October 1st. smt178

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

This is one of the great "novelty" hits of all time, first hitting the top in October 1962. What a fun song it is!

It not only hit #1 then -- when reissued, it made #10 in 1973!

620908_Garpax P-1 (44167)_Pickett.JPG
Bobby (Boris) Pickett and The Crypt-Kickers "Monster Mash" (Garpax P-1 [44167], September 8, 1962)
Billboard Hot 100 #1 on October 20, 1962, stayed at #1 for 2 weeks.
Almost eleven years later, it made Billboard Hot 100 #10 on August 11, 1973.

Billboard Oct 20 1962 p04.JPG

Billboard Aug 11 1973 p72.JPG

Billboard Top 100 Songs of 1973
http://www.bobborst.com/popculture/top-100-songs-of-the-year/?year=1973
"Monster Mash" comes in at #38 on this end of the year summary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Elvis never liked that one. "The King was unimpressed. Elvis Presley thought "Monster Mash" was the most ridiculous song he'd ever heard. Boris Karloff loved it!"

GospelBlues wrote:I never heard that before, oh well, i posted this for anyone that might enjoy it. :D

Fairchild1171 wrote:Thanks man. I always liked it. I was just posting what Elvis thought of the song. :lol:

This story is hearsay, and just as likely false or misinterpreted.

The criticism made "by Elvis" is second-hand.

"I was a real Elvis fan," said Bobby Pickett. "One day after the song had become a hit, I bumped into this girl who used to hang around Elvis' house in Los Angeles. So I asked her, 'How's the King?'

"'Well, he hates your record, Bobby,' she said. When I asked why, she told me, 'He thinks it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard.'

"So I said, 'Well, whoever liked him anyway?' I don't think he knew who Boris Karloff was, to tell you the truth."

http://dmdb.org/lyrics/monster.mash.html

Re: Bobby Boris Pickett' Sings "The Monster Mash"

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:18 pm

Can you prove that is not true? :lol:

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:54 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Can you prove that is not true? :lol:

Just come up with a verifiable, direct quote from Elvis, and the story is no longer hearsay.

Can you do that?

We'll be waiting for your research. ;-)

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:59 pm

Can you come up with something where he didn't say it? huh? huh? We will be waiting Doc. :?

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:04 am

GospelBlues wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote: Where are you from Mike, ..................Here in the U.S. Halloween is a big event that kicks off every October 1st, with most people really putting a lot of effort and fun into it, decorating their homes inside and out, and stores and business doing the same.

I live in England buddy. But I lived in the States for a few years. I just don't remember the 'Season' lasting for a month, or anybody (I knew) decorating inside their homes for a month.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
GospelBlues wrote:Bobby Pickett and his #1 hit for 2 weeks in September and October 1962, Bobby performing on The "American Bandstand", with Dick Clark, October 13, 1962 I hope you enjoy these videos for the beginning of the Halloween Season that kicks off this October 1st. smt178

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

This is one of the great "novelty" hits of all time, first hitting the top in October 1962. What a fun song it is!

620908_Garpax P-1 (44167)_Pickett.JPG
Bobby (Boris) Pickett and The Crypt-Kickers "Monster Mash" (Garpax P-1 [44167], September 8, 1962)

Billboard Oct 20 1962 p04.JPG

Billboard Aug 11 1973 p72.JPG

Thank you very much for doing this, i really enjoyed seeing all of it, and the information was great, thanks again "drjohncarpenter" :smt023

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:57 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Can you come up with something where he didn't say it?

Already did. Is your browser broken?

Scroll up:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79411&p=1217365#p1217326

Again, you are the one who made the claim. So present for us a verifiable, direct quote from Elvis, and the story is no longer hearsay.

We continue to wait.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:00 am

GospelBlues wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Thank you very much for doing this, i really enjoyed seeing all of it, and the information was great, thanks again "drjohncarpenter" :smt023

You are very welcome!

This is what FECC is all about!

::rocks

Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:02 am

Well..if it's a lie Bobby Pickett told it.

"Elvis Presley thought "Monster Mash" was one of the dumbest songs ever recorded.
"I was a real Elvis fan," said Bobby Pickett. "One day after the song had become a hit, I bumped into this girl who used to hang around Elvis' house in Los Angeles. So I asked her, 'How's the King?'

"'Well, he hates your record, Bobby,' she said. When I asked why, she told me, 'He thinks it's the stupidest thing he's ever heard.'

"So I said, 'Well, whoever liked him anyway?' I don't think he knew who Boris Karloff was, to tell you the truth."

Although Karloff was alive when the record was released, Pickett never met him. "I heard that he was in a record store and was buying my album, which had 'Monster Mash' on it, and a friend on mine was there and said, 'Oh, Mr. Karloff, I know the young man who did the song and he's a real big fan of yours.' And Karloff said, 'I love his record.' So I was thrilled."

Check mate! ::rocks

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:29 am

KHoots wrote:I'm wondering....was he lip-synching that?

It's pretty obvious.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:38 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
GospelBlues wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote: Where are you from Mike, ..................Here in the U.S. Halloween is a big event that kicks off every October 1st, with most people really putting a lot of effort and fun into it, decorating their homes inside and out, and stores and business doing the same.

I live in England buddy. But I lived in the States for a few years. I just don't remember the 'Season' lasting for a month, or anybody (I knew) decorating inside their homes for a month.

It's pretty much been celebrated for over a month for as long as I remember and I'm 52. They start having Halloween stuff in the stores by early to mid September. I used to decorate my house as a kid for the whole month.

BTW, The Monster Mash was one of my favorites, first discovering my friend's brothers single in 68 or so then buying the re-issue in 73 on Parrot Records. I wore that single out!