Off Topic Messages

Re: Bruce Springsteen?

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Every one has the right to their opinion...my opinion is he sucks. Move on.

What an intelligent and pleasant post. It says so much about you. Thanks.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:23 pm

Chris

Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:18 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:Every one has the right to their opinion...my opinion is he sucks. Move on.

What an intelligent and pleasant post. It says so much about you. Thanks.

Well...that's my honest opinion...although your mileage may vary.

Yes, and it is -- as noted -- as intelligent and pleasant as you are. ;-)

Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:30 am

ChrisM wrote:Image

Chris

There's no stopping it Chris... it keeps crawling out from under it's rock...

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:00 pm

This brand new letter to his fans and video from Springsteen might help explain the passion and community of his live shows to the open minded here. The trolls can safely ignore.

phpBB [video]

Chris

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never been a Springteen fan either...to me he sounds like a braying ass. I hated it when he was part of Roy Orbison in black & white TV show.

"Hated"? Quite a corner-case opinion there.

Among other things, Springsteen mostly plays guitar at that 1987 performance, there's very little "braying ass" to get upset over.

870930_Orbison_Souther_Springsteen_01.JPG

The success of this concert is that the focus on Roy Orbison and his music is never lost, despite all the star power assembled. And it's very evident that Roy absolutely LOVED having Bruce there.

870930_Orbison_Springsteen_02.JPG

Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison_and_Friends:_A_Black_and_White_Night

Thanks for bringing it up, though, as this 1988 Cinemax special is now an essential piece of rock 'n' roll history, and Springsteen's joyful, reverent presence is worth a look.

One of my favourite live DVD's.As you say Doc the focus is on Roy,no one tries to hog the limelight away from him.A wonderful show.

norrie

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:04 am

ChrisM wrote:This brand new letter to his fans and video from Springsteen might help explain the passion and community of his live shows to the open minded here. The trolls can safely ignore.

letter-700x770.jpg

phpBB [video]

Chris

That is a magnificent video.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:06 am

norrie wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never been a Springteen fan either...to me he sounds like a braying ass. I hated it when he was part of Roy Orbison in black & white TV show.

"Hated"? Quite a corner-case opinion there.

Among other things, Springsteen mostly plays guitar at that 1987 performance, there's very little "braying ass" to get upset over.

The success of this concert is that the focus on Roy Orbison and his music is never lost, despite all the star power assembled. And it's very evident that Roy absolutely LOVED having Bruce there.

Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison_and_Friends:_A_Black_and_White_Night

Thanks for bringing it up, though, as this 1988 Cinemax special is now an essential piece of rock 'n' roll history, and Springsteen's joyful, reverent presence is worth a look.

One of my favourite live DVD's.As you say Doc the focus is on Roy,no one tries to hog the limelight away from him.A wonderful show.

norrie

Right on! Totally agree!!

Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:47 am

2kd wrote:I've really tried to listen to his music, but to me he just sounds.....constipated.

So, you've "really tried," huh? Does that mean you went out and purchased a CD, or bought some mp3s?

Do share all of "his music" you've listened to.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:27 am

Whether you're black or white, whether you're country, redneck or a freak, young or old, from Moscow to London or Memphis, Bruce Springsteen is the greatest live performer in the world today to me.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Julian Grant wrote:Whether you're black or white, whether you're country, redneck or a freak, young or old, from Moscow to London or Memphis, Bruce Springsteen is the greatest live performer in the world today to me.

You got that right Julian!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:24 pm

I'm sure Elvis would have dug Springer's version of 'Froggy Went A Courtin''..

Uh huh.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
2kd wrote:I've really tried to listen to his music, but to me he just sounds.....constipated.

So, you've "really tried," huh? Does that mean you went out and purchased a CD, or bought some mp3s?

It seems we won't be getting an answer any time soon...

Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:45 am

2kd wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It seems we won't be getting an answer any time soon...

WTH? No time to answer...I've been busy listening to Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, Staind...Elvis. No need to prove anything. Springsteen sounds like his, ummmm, toe is caught in a vice. You nice, nice man.

An opinion on Bruce Springsteen -- or any popular artist -- simply isn't credible when someone makes an evaluation based on not listening to the music.

Perhaps this topic was meant to be a wind-up.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:47 am

Toe caught in a vice? Constipated ? Yup,you've called it right Doc - WINDUP

norrie

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:12 am

Take a look here. Worth the reading. Image

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:45 am

norrie wrote:Toe caught in a vice?

Isn't this Elvis at the beginning of Hurt?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:06 am

norrie wrote:Toe caught in a vice? Constipated ? Yup,you've called it right Doc - WINDUP

norrie

Obviously, I'm not the only one who noticed. And there were a lot of thoughtful, intelligent replies to the OP, too.

Thanks, norrie.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

It was the first live show I ever went to, and it raised the bar pretty high. It was a happy accident - my dad was supposed to go with my Aunt and Uncle, but got held up travelling home, so I got to go in his place!

Bruce has made some of the most ambitious, poetic, atmospheric songs of the last 40 years that always tell a story, paint a picture of an America I've always romanticised, and he's such a nice guy, with a great way of telling a story. The live box set, covering 75 - 85 is still my favourite set, and perhaps it's where he does his best work, on stage, in front of his people.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

It was the first live show I ever went to, and it raised the bar pretty high. It was a happy accident - my dad was supposed to go with my Aunt and Uncle, but got held up travelling home, so I got to go in his place!

Bruce has made some of the most ambitious, poetic, atmospheric songs of the last 40 years that always tell a story, paint a picture of an America I've always romanticised, and he's such a nice guy, with a great way of telling a story. The live box set, covering 75 - 85 is still my favourite set, and perhaps it's where he does his best work, on stage, in front of his people.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:23 pm

DarrylMac wrote:a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

Well said DarrylMac.He has made many classic LP's that have stood the test of time but to see him live is the only way to fully appreciate the genius of The Boss and once you have the albums sound even better than they did before.

norrie

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:38 pm

norrie wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

Well said DarrylMac.He has made many classic LP's that have stood the test of time but to see him live is the only way to fully appreciate the genius of The Boss and once you have the albums sound even better than they did before.

norrie

Very true one of the best live performers i have seen and ive seen many

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm

2kd wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
norrie wrote:Toe caught in a vice? Constipated ? Yup,you've called it right Doc - WINDUP

norrie

Obviously, I'm not the only one who noticed. And there were a lot of thoughtful, intelligent replies to the OP, too.

Thanks, norrie.

And I thanked everyone for their replies. What more do you want? Didn't change the fact that I don't like his voice. Dylan is a brilliant writer and poet. His voice gives me a rash. Oh, and just to further antagonize you...I don't care for the Beatles either. Amazing songs, not so amazing vocals.

Yeah that's a funny thing over here. You can bash Elvis all you want but don't you dare say anything bad about the Beatles or Bruce Springsteen for that matter. I love Bruce Springsteen, and to answer your original question I initially checked him out because he was always praising Elvis, and so I ended up a Springsteen fan. But I understand that there are people who don't like him or his voice.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Pink&Black wrote:... to answer your original question I initially checked him out because he was always praising Elvis, and so I ended up a Springsteen fan. But I understand that there are people who don't like him or his voice.

What are your thoughts on people who "don't like him or his voice" having not seen a single concert, or heard a single record?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 pm

2kd wrote " I really tried to listen to his music." So I guess he did just that. Of course attending a Springsteen concert might change his mind :D But you can't make people appreciate music just because you think it's the best ever. I tried to plug Elvis to people around me when I was 14, it didn't work :( Music is just a very personal thing, even though a lot of people think highly of the Beatles and the Stones I never cared much for them. That's not to say I don't see their relevance, just don't like them much.