Off Topic Messages

Re: Bruce Springsteen?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

It was the first live show I ever went to, and it raised the bar pretty high. It was a happy accident - my dad was supposed to go with my Aunt and Uncle, but got held up travelling home, so I got to go in his place!

Bruce has made some of the most ambitious, poetic, atmospheric songs of the last 40 years that always tell a story, paint a picture of an America I've always romanticised, and he's such a nice guy, with a great way of telling a story. The live box set, covering 75 - 85 is still my favourite set, and perhaps it's where he does his best work, on stage, in front of his people.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:53 pm

a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

It was the first live show I ever went to, and it raised the bar pretty high. It was a happy accident - my dad was supposed to go with my Aunt and Uncle, but got held up travelling home, so I got to go in his place!

Bruce has made some of the most ambitious, poetic, atmospheric songs of the last 40 years that always tell a story, paint a picture of an America I've always romanticised, and he's such a nice guy, with a great way of telling a story. The live box set, covering 75 - 85 is still my favourite set, and perhaps it's where he does his best work, on stage, in front of his people.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:23 pm

DarrylMac wrote:a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

Well said DarrylMac.He has made many classic LP's that have stood the test of time but to see him live is the only way to fully appreciate the genius of The Boss and once you have the albums sound even better than they did before.

norrie

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:38 pm

norrie wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:a 13 year old Darrylmac went to see Bruce on the Born In The USA tour on June 5th 1985, at St Jame's Park in Newcastle, and loved every second!

Well said DarrylMac.He has made many classic LP's that have stood the test of time but to see him live is the only way to fully appreciate the genius of The Boss and once you have the albums sound even better than they did before.

norrie

Very true one of the best live performers i have seen and ive seen many

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:31 pm

2kd wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
norrie wrote:Toe caught in a vice? Constipated ? Yup,you've called it right Doc - WINDUP

norrie

Obviously, I'm not the only one who noticed. And there were a lot of thoughtful, intelligent replies to the OP, too.

Thanks, norrie.

And I thanked everyone for their replies. What more do you want? Didn't change the fact that I don't like his voice. Dylan is a brilliant writer and poet. His voice gives me a rash. Oh, and just to further antagonize you...I don't care for the Beatles either. Amazing songs, not so amazing vocals.

Yeah that's a funny thing over here. You can bash Elvis all you want but don't you dare say anything bad about the Beatles or Bruce Springsteen for that matter. I love Bruce Springsteen, and to answer your original question I initially checked him out because he was always praising Elvis, and so I ended up a Springsteen fan. But I understand that there are people who don't like him or his voice.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Pink&Black wrote:... to answer your original question I initially checked him out because he was always praising Elvis, and so I ended up a Springsteen fan. But I understand that there are people who don't like him or his voice.

What are your thoughts on people who "don't like him or his voice" having not seen a single concert, or heard a single record?

Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:41 pm

2kd wrote " I really tried to listen to his music." So I guess he did just that. Of course attending a Springsteen concert might change his mind :D But you can't make people appreciate music just because you think it's the best ever. I tried to plug Elvis to people around me when I was 14, it didn't work :( Music is just a very personal thing, even though a lot of people think highly of the Beatles and the Stones I never cared much for them. That's not to say I don't see their relevance, just don't like them much.

Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:42 am

Pink&Black wrote:2kd wrote " I really tried to listen to his music." So I guess he did just that.

Apparently not enough to mention a single song, even when specifically asked.

That's why this topic must clearly be a wind-up. No intelligent person would make such a judgement otherwise. ;-)

Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:08 pm

KevinK wrote:I'll admit I was never a fan of Bruce till quite recently.
Then I started playing in a band, and they covered a few of his songs from the Nebraska album.
So I went out and bought 'Nebraska' on CD. I loved it immediately and played it to death. I'd heard that another one of Bruce's albums 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad' was a similar style. So I bought that. I loved it.
Then I heard a few songs from the 'We Shall Overcome' album, and I just had to pick that up aswell..

So it turns out I really like Bruce's folkier side. However I still don't like the big band material.

The man has my utmost respect though. He's written some amazing music, he's still going strong at what, 64? He rocks stadiums for over 3 hours at a time.. and let's face it, he's pretty cool 8)

Try his latest album "Wrecking ball". It´s actually very folkish:
phpBB [video]