Off Topic Messages

Re: Bruce Springsteen?

Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:04 am

If you've ever seen Bruce in concert, you wouldn't be asking any questions.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:07 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:I don't have to see him in concert. I can't get past his voice.

That's actually quite interesting and deserves elaboration. Because some voices in rock and roll are rough and raw, and some sweet as honey. Others have a country or blues or gospel tinge.

I think Bruce is a pure rock and roll singer! But he does have nuance as well. (Am currently looking for the perfect vid on YouTube.)

How 'bout this, Zane? Intimate, gentle, and sad. Nice use of his voice to convey his feelings . . . softly, for the most part. I think so, anyway.

(For a while I was very angry at what he said for Dylan's induction to the Rock Hall, but I think I understand it differently now. And you know what? I think HE understands it differently now, too. Elvis wasn't just all "body." His "mind" helped to free everyone, because, at least, the knee bone is connected to the leg bone, and the leg bone is connected to the . . . eventually the mind!)

phpBB [video]

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:12 am

Have seen Bruce live on a number of occasions and he is one of the best live performers I have ever had the pleasure to see

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:28 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:I understand what you are saying RJM...but he just isn't my cup of tea. Although I know there are those that do like him and that's fine, he just never did appeal to me. Like the old saying goes: If everyone heard and saw alike, it would be a dull world. And indeed it would. :)

Agreed

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:04 pm

Of the 2000-3000 CD's I do own from country to redneck, to gospel, to rhythm and blues, to rap, to rock n roll, and a taste of smooth jazz, ..I can honestly admit Bruce Springsteen isn't on any of them. It's just that voice - like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:27 pm

2kd wrote:I've been here for a while now and I've noticed there are a lot of Springsteen fans. Not sure what the attraction is. Does it have something to do with his devotion to Elvis or do that many people here really like him?

Bruce Springsteen is one of the great artists of rock 'n' roll, as singer, songwriter, band leader and guitar player, and has been as such since at least 1975. His extraordinary performances, often running up to three hours despite his being over 60 years of age, are rightfully stuff of legend. The fact that he often honors his warm memory of Elvis with a well-placed concert cover is another reason many here admire him so much. Springsteen has also spoken many times through the years with sensitivity and intelligence regarding Elvis Presley's life and career.

There is a lot to like.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:42 pm

I'll admit I was never a fan of Bruce till quite recently.
Then I started playing in a band, and they covered a few of his songs from the Nebraska album.
So I went out and bought 'Nebraska' on CD. I loved it immediately and played it to death. I'd heard that another one of Bruce's albums 'The Ghost Of Tom Joad' was a similar style. So I bought that. I loved it.
Then I heard a few songs from the 'We Shall Overcome' album, and I just had to pick that up aswell..

So it turns out I really like Bruce's folkier side. However I still don't like the big band material.

The man has my utmost respect though. He's written some amazing music, he's still going strong at what, 64? He rocks stadiums for over 3 hours at a time.. and let's face it, he's pretty cool 8)

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:29 pm

I like Bruce a lot, and have a lot respect for him, also my parents played a lot of his music while i was growing up, and i have many of his CD's, and not only is Bruce a big Elvis fan, but he is also one heck of a nice guy. :smt023

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:31 pm

2kd wrote:Thank you all for the input. I just never quite understood the attraction. Still don't. But my taste in music is a bit different. I do think it interesting that Bruce holds Elvis in such high regard.

Take a peek at the awesome FECC topics below that touch upon the relationship.

You will really enjoy them!

Elvis => Born To Run
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25450
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=76371

1970s Soundman Bruce Jackson Remembers!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39898
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=76400

Bruce and Elvis -- On The Road, Summer 1977
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50918
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=76423

Archival Springsteen Release Shows Presley Influence !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56760

How "Born To Run" was "Born" --> No Mystery!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=60021

Springsteen ties Elvis Presley for the third-most number ones in history
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68089

Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:33 am

As one of the Monty Python's once said : "There are tow kinds of people on this world: those who are Springsteen fans, and then those who haven't seen him in concert"

Best live performer ever, one of the top lyricists ever and such a sincere, commited, artist.

"I gotta find out how it feels, I wanna know if love is wild, I wanna know if love is real"

Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:17 pm

Suds wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:I understand what you are saying RJM...but he just isn't my cup of tea. Although I know there are those that do like him and that's fine, he just never did appeal to me. Like the old saying goes: If everyone heard and saw alike, it would be a dull world. And indeed it would. :)

Agreed

I agree too.

For me, Elvis had nothing to do with it for I liked Bruce because he wrote about lives that I could relate to. He conveyed the goodness of the working class in a way that appealed to me. The association with Elvis came later and made him even more likeable.

Back in the early 1980s,it seemed hardly anyone in the UK had heard of Bruce, yet he would always sell out the Hammersmith Odeon and Wembley Arena and chart high with his LPs. He had a like a cult status. Of course, the massive commercial success of Born in the USA made him much bigger, and more people started to like him.

But I can understand why he is not everyone's cup of tea. And thank goodness for differing tastes. I don't think everyone needs to like him!

Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:09 pm

I've never been a Springteen fan either...to me he sounds like a braying ass. I hated it when he was part of Roy Orbison in black & white TV show.

Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:39 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never been a Springteen fan either...to me he sounds like a braying ass. I hated it when he was part of Roy Orbison in black & white TV show.

"Hated"? Quite a corner-case opinion there.

Among other things, Springsteen mostly plays guitar at that 1987 performance, there's very little "braying ass" to get upset over.

870930_Orbison_Souther_Springsteen_01.JPG

The success of this concert is that the focus on Roy Orbison and his music is never lost, despite all the star power assembled. And it's very evident that Roy absolutely LOVED having Bruce there.

870930_Orbison_Springsteen_02.JPG

Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison_and_Friends:_A_Black_and_White_Night

Thanks for bringing it up, though, as this 1988 Cinemax special is now an essential piece of rock 'n' roll history, and Springsteen's joyful, reverent presence is worth a look.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:23 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've never been a Springteen fan either...to me he sounds like a braying ass. I hated it when he was part of Roy Orbison in black & white TV show.

I liked him a lot in the Orbison show. Looked very respectful of the legends around him, and he was one himself even then.

Having said that, to each their own with regard to any artist. If you don't care for Bruce, or anyone else, there's nothing wrong with that. Everyone has different tastes.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Hated"? Quite a corner-case opinion there.

Among other things, Springsteen mostly plays guitar at that 1987 performance, there's very little "braying ass" to get upset over.

870930_Orbison_Souther_Springsteen_01.JPG

The success of this concert is that the focus on Roy Orbison and his music is never lost, despite all the star power assembled. And it's very evident that Roy absolutely LOVED having Bruce there.

870930_Orbison_Springsteen_02.JPG

Roy Orbison and Friends: A Black and White Night
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Orbison_and_Friends:_A_Black_and_White_Night

Thanks for bringing it up, though, as this 1988 Cinemax special is now an essential piece of rock 'n' roll history, and Springsteen's joyful, reverent presence is worth a look.

When i said "braying ass" i meant in general, i just don't like his singing and i know lots and lots of people who don't too.

Bruce is not for me. I tried to get into him once, as i like all kinds of music, but Bruce just didn't do it for
me.

I know a lot of people i know don't like Bruce's music because, to them, his music is just a lot of noise with no melodies to the songs.

It seems, that Bruce is more popular in America than he is here in England. In England, his only really "big" hit was "Born In The USA" in the 80's. I remember it well, it was a monsterous hit, it was the song that put him on the map, but after that, he slowly faded as far as "big" hits go.
Last edited by mysterytrainrideson on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:21 pm

Bruce's voice isn't for me; however, I like some of his lyrics very much, one song in particular, "War". I haven't seen Bruce in concert, going on what was written by Paul, above, I would be speaking while uninformed :D A recent speech Bruce gave I felt was written for him. Elvis spoke from his heart and wrote his own speech for when he was honoured, and I really respected him for that. What Elvis said meant a lot, because it was in his words.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:52 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:It seems, that Bruce is more popular in America than he is here in England. In England, his only really "big" hit was "Born In The USA" in the 80's. I remember it well, it was a monsterous hit, it was the song that put him on the map, but after that, he slowly faded as far as "big" hits go.

He's not a big singles artist, but has had seven number one albums in Britain since "Born In The USA" was a hit and several others that did well. "Streets of Philadelphia" also charted higher than "Born In The USA" a decade later. It would be difficult for any artist to maintain the heights and hype of the "Born In The USA" period, but his popularity remains strong.

Those who think that Bruce's music is just "a lot of noise" probably haven't listened to some of his more sedate performances. He's not always shouting his head off into the microphone.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:12 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I know a lot of people i know don't like Bruce's music because, to them, his music is just a lot of noise with no melodies to the songs.

The only way one can make that statement is if they know very little about Bruce Springsteen's music.

For example, anyone who has ever heard "Thunder Road" will attest to its many sterling, timeless qualities, among them an indelible, haunting melody. This may be one of the greatest songs in rock 'n' roll history.

phpBB [video]

Bruce Springsteen "Thunder Road" Born To Run (Columbia 3-10209, September 1975)

If you want to hear some gorgeous Springsteen melodies, I suggest giving this landmark 1975 album a warm listen.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:14 pm

Mountain Misst wrote:I like some of his lyrics very much, one song in particular, "War".

Actually, those are not his lyrics. "War" was written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong. It was a Billboard No 1 hit for Edwin Starr in 1970.

Chris

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:32 pm

No one can deny that Bruce Springsteen has made some fine records of years past.
But he will always belong to the second tier in the pantheon of pop music icons of the 20th century.
That's just the way it is.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:17 am

Bobby Peru wrote:No one can deny that Bruce Springsteen has made some fine records of years past.

And I suspect you own none of them, nor have you ever seen him in concert. ;-)

Bobby Peru wrote:But he will always belong to the second tier in the pantheon of pop music icons of the 20th century.
That's just the way it is.

Well, no one can top Kiss, that is true. ;-)

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 am

"second tier"??????

Uh . . . no. Tell that to BOTH the Governor of New Jersey AND the President of the United States, who don't agree on much at all. EXCEPT BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!

phpBB [video]

Yeah, right -- "second tier"?? :roll: You mean, like when this Media-Mad Summit Meeting of the mid-1980s took place? When there were just 4 titans of late 20th century, and these were two of them? (The others were Prince and Madonna.)

Here he is with more of his "second tier" chums:

Tell HIM that!

smt171

rjm
P.S. -- Welcome! ::rocks

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:39 am

I sure do like a woman who talks tough, honey. 8)

No offence intended: I actually thought I was being kind placing Bruce in the second tier. Oh well, I respect both your opinions anyway.

Bobby Peru (like the country).

P.S. Re. Kiss: They'd be struggling to scrape into the 16th tier.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:48 am

ChrisM wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:I like some of his lyrics very much, one song in particular, "War".

Actually, those are not his lyrics. "War" was written by Norman Whitfield and Barrett Strong. It was a Billboard No 1 hit for Edwin Starr in 1970.

Chris

Thanks Chris - I wouldn't have know of the song without Bruce, I know now :D LOL

Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 pm

paulsweeney wrote:If you've ever seen Bruce in concert, you wouldn't be asking any questions.

Well said, Paul.