Off Topic Messages

How will it affect YOU? U.S. Govt. Shuttered!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:28 am

Anybody on a fixed income here, or get other benefits that will be affected by the shutdown? Or work for agencies that will be impacted? Know anyone who is? I do.

I wish they would work it out, ASAP. But for many people, it is kind of like Apocalypse NOW. Bills must be paid! And without this help, the disabled and many elderly folks are in trouble. So, this will eventually mean other troubles . . . (Particularly for those politicians who did not act to avoid the shutdown!)

Hit the YouTube link; embedding disabled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3868bLZqRk

rjm

Re: How will it affect YOU? U.S. Govt. Shuttered!

Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:37 am

I live in the U.K. I don't give a bloody hogwash about those overpaid, ignorant U.S. lawmakers that don't don't really give a hoot about the people they represent.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:12 am

1150912_10153286533180371_1630310993_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:33 am

Social Security checks and other benefit payments continue to be paid. The media is trying to spread the myth that these will not be paid in order to scare folks but it is simply not true. As this article notes, only 17% of the federal government is "shutdown".

http://washingtonexaminer.com/wheres-sense-of-crisis-in-a-17-percent-government-shutdown/article/2536862

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 am

I can't believe why there is so much opposition against the health care act. Being from the Netherlands it is as normal to me to have insurance for health issues, as to have my car insured. And also that that insurance is for everyone so that no one ever has to worry about bills when they get sick. Sure, the rules have tightened the last years, but when you need help you know you're gonna get help no matter what.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:03 am

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Col ... story.html

In the U.S. constitutional division of powers, the president proposes, the Congress disposes and the Supreme Court decides.

In 2010, President Barack Obama proposed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and Congress passed it. Last year, the Supreme Court upheld ObamaCare.

But the Tea Party wing of the Republican majority in the House of Representatives denied funding for ObamaCare in the budget standoff with the Democratic majority in the Senate this week.

With no budget authorization, the government ran out of approved money at the end of one fiscal year, and the beginning of another. When the clock struck midnight on Tuesday, the government shut down all non-essential services, and 800,000 federal employees were sent home.

There is a protocol for shutting down the town in Washington. The first thing they do is close all national parks, beginning with the Washington Monument. Members of Congress continue to work, even though Congress is clearly not working, because they are deemed to be essential workers. It’s a bit like Alice in Wonderland, at the tea party.

As the U.S. government shut down on Tuesday, registration was beginning for health care “exchanges” for 40 million Americans with no health care insurance. Even ObamaCare is a long way short of the Canadian system of universal public health care, with a single payer: government. Most health insurance in the U.S. is still provided by employers, with elderly funded by Medicare and low income earners through Medicaid. To say that the U.S. health care system is complex is to understate the case.

But two things are clear in the budget impasse.

First, health reform is a signature piece of legislation for Obama. There is no chance that he would allow himself to be rolled on it by the Republicans.

Second, the Tea Party has broken constitutional convention in terms of the division of powers. They have provoked what amounts to a constitutional crisis. Such is the significance of the standoff that Obama cancelled an important trip to Asia to attend the APEC summit of heads of government.

But at this point, what is playing out is essentially a Washington blame game, an Inside the Beltway version of reality TV, with Republicans and Democrats voting each other off the island.

The situation will become really serious if Congress doesn’t raise the debt ceiling by Oct. 17. If that happens, the U.S. would technically default on its debt. This is a matter involving the good faith and credit of the United States. And since the U.S. dollar is the world’s reserve currency, this has implications for the global economy.

The Republican speaker of the House, John Boehner, obviously understands the gravity of the situation, but has lost control of his own caucus. His spokesperson said Thursday: “The United States will not default on its debt, but if we’re going to raise the debt limit, we need to deal with the drivers and of our debt and deficit.”

In other words, Boehner is asking the White House for a deal, but he can forget about one with defunding of ObamaCare. What Boehner may be looking for is a broader budget deal that includes funding for ObamaCare. To do a deal with the Dems, Boehner would have to ditch the Tea Party wing of his caucus. Losing the crazies would be a good thing for the Republican brand, which has taken a big hit in this Washington impasse.

In the circumstances, the stock market hasn’t been behaving all that badly. In the last 11 sessions before Friday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average has closed down nine times. While it closed under 15,000 Thursday, it was less than three per cent off its all-time high only two weeks ago.

Meanwhile in Ottawa, Opposition Leader Tom Mulcair demanded the House be recalled to debate the shutdown of the U.S. government and its impact on Canada.

In other words, if the House weren’t prorogued until after Thanksgiving, the opposition could be grilling the government in question period.

But Mulcair isn’t wrong on the substance of it. The furloughing of 800,000 workers will result in a slowdown in the U.S. economy. Unemployment of 7.3 per cent is still higher than the Canadian rate of 7.1 per cent. Any slowdown of the U.S. economy will hurt ours.

Already there’s been a flight from the greenback to the loonie. And a higher Canadian dollar hurts exports. Lower exports means lower revenues at both the federal and provincial levels. Which means, among other things, it will be more difficult for Finance Minister Jim Flaherty to achieve his goal of balancing the budget by 2015.

Thanks, Washington, we needed that.

L. Ian MacDonald, editor of Policy magazine (policymagazine.ca) is a former head of the public affairs division of the Canadian Embassy in Washington. He writes for the Citizen and the Montreal Gazette. lianmacdonald@lianmacdonald.ca

Take care,

Paul Sweeney

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:24 pm

paulsweeney wrote:http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Column+goes+through+looking+glass/8999203/story.html

In the U.S. constitutional division of powers, the president proposes, the Congress disposes and the Supreme Court decides.

In 2010, President Barack Obama proposed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, and Congress passed it. Last year, the Supreme Court upheld ObamaCare.

But the Tea Party wing of the Republican majority in the House of Representatives denied funding for ObamaCare in the budget standoff with the Democratic majority in the Senate this week.

With no budget authorization, the government ran out of approved money at the end of one fiscal year, and the beginning of another. When the clock struck midnight on Tuesday, the government shut down all non-essential services, and 800,000 federal employees were sent home.

There is a protocol for shutting down the town in Washington. The first thing they do is close all national parks, beginning with the Washington Monument. Members of Congress continue to work, even though Congress is clearly not working, because they are deemed to be essential workers. It’s a bit like Alice in Wonderland, at the tea party.

As the U.S. government shut down on Tuesday, registration was beginning for health care “exchanges” for 40 million Americans with no health care insurance. Even ObamaCare is a long way short of the Canadian system of universal public health care, with a single payer: government. Most health insurance in the U.S. is still provided by employers, with elderly funded by Medicare and low income earners through Medicaid. To say that the U.S. health care system is complex is to understate the case.

But two things are clear in the budget impasse.

First, health reform is a signature piece of legislation for Obama. There is no chance that he would allow himself to be rolled on it by the Republicans.

Second, the Tea Party has broken constitutional convention in terms of the division of powers. They have provoked what amounts to a constitutional crisis. Such is the significance of the standoff that Obama cancelled an important trip to Asia to attend the APEC summit of heads of government.

But at this point, what is playing out is essentially a Washington blame game, an Inside the Beltway version of reality TV, with Republicans and Democrats voting each other off the island.

The situation will become really serious if Congress doesn’t raise the debt ceiling by Oct. 17. If that happens, the U.S. would technically default on its debt. This is a matter involving the good faith and credit of the United States. And since the U.S. dollar is the world’s reserve currency, this has implications for the global economy.

The Republican speaker of the House, John Boehner, obviously understands the gravity of the situation, but has lost control of his own caucus. His spokesperson said Thursday: “The United States will not default on its debt, but if we’re going to raise the debt limit, we need to deal with the drivers and of our debt and deficit.”

In other words, Boehner is asking the White House for a deal, but he can forget about one with defunding of ObamaCare. What Boehner may be looking for is a broader budget deal that includes funding for ObamaCare. To do a deal with the Dems, Boehner would have to ditch the Tea Party wing of his caucus. Losing the crazies would be a good thing for the Republican brand, which has taken a big hit in this Washington impasse.

In the circumstances, the stock market hasn’t been behaving all that badly. In the last 11 sessions before Friday, the Dow Jones Industrial Average has closed down nine times. While it closed under 15,000 Thursday, it was less than three per cent off its all-time high only two weeks ago.

Meanwhile in Ottawa, Opposition Leader Tom Mulcair demanded the House be recalled to debate the shutdown of the U.S. government and its impact on Canada.

In other words, if the House weren’t prorogued until after Thanksgiving, the opposition could be grilling the government in question period.

But Mulcair isn’t wrong on the substance of it. The furloughing of 800,000 workers will result in a slowdown in the U.S. economy. Unemployment of 7.3 per cent is still higher than the Canadian rate of 7.1 per cent. Any slowdown of the U.S. economy will hurt ours.

Already there’s been a flight from the greenback to the loonie. And a higher Canadian dollar hurts exports. Lower exports means lower revenues at both the federal and provincial levels. Which means, among other things, it will be more difficult for Finance Minister Jim Flaherty to achieve his goal of balancing the budget by 2015.

Thanks, Washington, we needed that.

L. Ian MacDonald, editor of Policy magazine (policymagazine.ca) is a former head of the public affairs division of the Canadian Embassy in Washington. He writes for the Citizen and the Montreal Gazette. lianmacdonald@lianmacdonald.ca

Take care,

Paul Sweeney

It's all about power. Not what is in the best interest of the people...

Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Has Mr. MacDonald ever read the Constitution? I doubt it. Congress, particularly the House, is given the power of the purse. As such, they can cut off funding to programs and/or spending on wars.

Here's what Madison, a drafter of the Constitution, noted about this power in Federalist No. 58:

" The House of Representatives cannot only refuse, but they alone can propose, the supplies requisite for the support of government. They, in a word, hold the purse that powerful instrument by which we behold, in the history of the British Constitution, an infant and humble representation of the people gradually enlarging the sphere of its activity and importance, and finally reducing, as far as it seems to have wished, all the overgrown prerogatives of the other branches of the government. This power over the purse may, in fact, be regarded as the most complete and effectual weapon with which any constitution can arm the immediate representatives of the people, for obtaining a redress of every grievance, and for carrying into effect every just and salutary measure. "

I'll trust Mr. Madison's view over Mr. MacDonald's any day of the week.

Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:34 pm

The sad part is that with all this hoopla , the average american can do nothing to help the situation . i DO NOT agree with obamacare , let's look at this from a common sense point of view . most people , like myself would love to have health insurance . i work for a small business and we cannot afford it . but , the reason is that i do not have as i said i cannot afford it , i do not know were Obama thinks that people who cannot afford it will be finding extra money to pay for it . most average american workers again like myself who work for small business are just making ends meet and then we are being forced to take this health care policy and with no extra money somehow come up with it to pay for it . that is Communism either way you look at , you can call it what you want but at the end it is Communism . i read that the state of Tennessee tried something similar to this and it almost bankrupted them . i cannot imagine the impact it will have on the USA when it goes into effect . there will be millions of people who will not have the extra funds for this then what do they do , also just like car insurance when it becomes the law you have to have this health insurance , health care prices with double because you are supposed to have insurance and we can charge what we want and you will pay it . sad , very sad day for our country . i can imagine that all the great hero's and honor military men who fought in wars for this country are turning over in their graves as they fought for our rights and for us to be free . again very sad .

Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:24 pm

elviscollector101 wrote:The sad part is that with all this hoopla , the average american can do nothing to help the situation . i DO NOT agree with obamacare , let's look at this from a common sense point of view . most people , like myself would love to have health insurance . i work for a small business and we cannot afford it . but , the reason is that i do not have as i said i cannot afford it , i do not know were Obama thinks that people who cannot afford it will be finding extra money to pay for it . most average american workers again like myself who work for small business are just making ends meet and then we are being forced to take this health care policy and with no extra money somehow come up with it to pay for it . that is Communism either way you look at , you can call it what you want but at the end it is Communism . i read that the state of Tennessee tried something similar to this and it almost bankrupted them . i cannot imagine the impact it will have on the USA when it goes into effect . there will be millions of people who will not have the extra funds for this then what do they do , also just like car insurance when it becomes the law you have to have this health insurance , health care prices with double because you are supposed to have insurance and we can charge what we want and you will pay it . sad , very sad day for our country . i can imagine that all the great hero's and honor military men who fought in wars for this country are turning over in their graves as they fought for our rights and for us to be free . again very sad .

It's law that you have car insurance if you have a car. According to everything I have read about it, part of the idea is that low income families will have their contributions subsidised. I really do think ordinary Americans really should look at the rest of the world. In the UK we have the National Health service - but it's not free, we pay for it through our taxes. It is thought that those earning less than $15000 a year will get the healthcare for around $300 a year. That's less than the average car insurance but could save your life for a mere $6 a week. It will also prevent people being turned down by insurance companies in the first place. Anyone who doesn't see this as a way forward is, frankly, a nut. Recent evidence shows that 2 million Americans a year go bankrupt due to medical bills. That's not going to happen under the new laws.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:56 am

elviscollector101 wrote:The sad part is that with all this hoopla , the average american can do nothing to help the situation . i DO NOT agree with obamacare , let's look at this from a common sense point of view . most people , like myself would love to have health insurance . i work for a small business and we cannot afford it . but , the reason is that i do not have as i said i cannot afford it , i do not know were Obama thinks that people who cannot afford it will be finding extra money to pay for it . most average american workers again like myself who work for small business are just making ends meet and then we are being forced to take this health care policy and with no extra money somehow come up with it to pay for it . that is Communism either way you look at , you can call it what you want but at the end it is Communism . i read that the state of Tennessee tried something similar to this and it almost bankrupted them . i cannot imagine the impact it will have on the USA when it goes into effect . there will be millions of people who will not have the extra funds for this then what do they do , also just like car insurance when it becomes the law you have to have this health insurance , health care prices with double because you are supposed to have insurance and we can charge what we want and you will pay it . sad , very sad day for our country . i can imagine that all the great hero's and honor military men who fought in wars for this country are turning over in their graves as they fought for our rights and for us to be free . again very sad .

Communism??? Really??? You gotta be kidding me!

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:55 am

The shut down happened all because of gerrymandering...plain and simple, IMO. The Republicans in their desire to remain classically conservative have rigged their elections to ensure that no democrat can win the seat. The long term effect has been the election of the most conservative person possible. A person untempered by the moderating effect of a credible liberalizing influence.
The result ... super-republicans ... zealots who believe they serve by the will of the everyman but who in fact merely pander to their own lunatic fringe.
I am surprised the American people are not more insulted by this than the seem to be.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:25 am

TCB-FAN wrote:The shut down happened all because of gerrymandering...plain and simple, IMO. The Republicans in their desire to remain classically conservative have rigged their elections to ensure that no democrat can win the seat. The long term effect has been the election of the most conservative person possible. A person untempered by the moderating effect of a credible liberalizing influence.
The result ... super-republicans ... zealots who believe they serve by the will of the everyman but who in fact merely pander to their own lunatic fringe.
I am surprised the American people are not more insulted by this than the seem to be.

Hmm, and Nancy Pelosi, George Miller and Barbara Boxer are moderates? :facep:

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:08 pm

The shutdown happened because some hate their President more than they love their country. It's not going to affect me in the short term, other than it's quite embarrassing.

It's a slap in the face to my son in Afghanistan as well as other soldiers to tell them that you're probably not going to be paid on time.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:46 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:I live in the U.K. I don't give a bloody hogwash about those overpaid, ignorant U.S. lawmakers that don't don't really give a hoot about the people they represent.

There are more than a few here in the states who echo your sentiments these days!

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:51 pm

2kd wrote:
More like Socialism...but having said that, I agree. Even with subsidies, many will not be able to afford this. Those who can't afford it have decided to take their chances and pay the penalties/fines. As I posted earlier, we really need insurance reform and should have had the choice to opt out of O'care. My friends, a married couple with 2 kids, who make about $65,000 a yr., have a mortgage, one kid in private school and other expenses, were forced to buy health insurance and now their in a financial bind. This is not going to end well. :evil:

So they earn $65000 per year, and think it's more important for their kid to be in private school than to have basic health insurance. What would happen if the mother got hit by a car and had to spend six weeks in hospital. What would they do without health insurance?

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm all for Obama Care. I am neither a communist, nor a socialist. Our old system of healthcare was beyond broken. I can say that from working in the healthcare field, and from personal experience.
I saw people with life threatening illnesses who were either denied the best care for their condition, or had to put themselves, and their family in debt for the rest of their lives to receive care. That, my friends is not what freedom, nor what our country is all about.

I was lucky enough a couple of years ago to navigate the legal system myself, so that when I got married last year I would not drag my wife in debt due to my previous medical bills. Lucky, because most people I would assume don't have the time, or nerves to do it themselves.

Is prevention of death a communist, or socialist ideal? Certainly NOT.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:59 pm

2kd wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
2kd wrote:
More like Socialism...but having said that, I agree. Even with subsidies, many will not be able to afford this. Those who can't afford it have decided to take their chances and pay the penalties/fines. As I posted earlier, we really need insurance reform and should have had the choice to opt out of O'care. My friends, a married couple with 2 kids, who make about $65,000 a yr., have a mortgage, one kid in private school and other expenses, were forced to buy health insurance and now their in a financial bind. This is not going to end well. :evil:

So they earn $65000 per year, and think it's more important for their kid to be in private school than to have basic health insurance. What would happen if the mother got hit by a car and had to spend six weeks in hospital. What would they do without health insurance?

No, not at all do they feel private school is more important. Their little son had been bullied and beaten up at his public school, so they had to do this for his well being. Sometimes parents have to make difficult choices. And that was a very difficult one indeed. And I pray that she does not get hit by a car (?)! They've given up all extras to afford to live and now to purchase insurance. Prior to this they were seeing a local, small town doctor and hospital visits, there was one in the past 4 yrs., was paid for out of pocket, monthly.

I hope she doesn't get hit by a car either, but I was just giving a scenario to show the issues of not having health insurance. While I sympathise with their situation regarding their son (having been there myself), time and energy might have been better spent kicking the school's arse - after all, making sure your family has decent healthcare seems considerably less reckless (and puts your family in danger more) than sending your kid to school, bullying or no bullying. The question also arises as to whether they had healthcare before sending their son to private school.

My guess is that in, ten years time, America will be asking itself what all the fuss is about - and why healthcare insurance wasn't mandatory before this point. Like it or not, $65000 is a damn good wage - and to not have health insurance on that wage is simply reckless and putting your family's wellbeing (and your own solvency) on the line. The "it will never happen to me" attitude is remarkably naïve.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 pm

2kd wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
2kd wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
2kd wrote:

No, not at all do they feel private school is more important. Their little son had been bullied and beaten up at his public school, so they had to do this for his well being. Sometimes parents have to make difficult choices. And that was a very difficult one indeed. And I pray that she does not get hit by a car (?)! They've given up all extras to afford to live and now to purchase insurance. Prior to this they were seeing a local, small town doctor and hospital visits, there was one in the past 4 yrs., was paid for out of pocket, monthly.

I hope she doesn't get hit by a car either, but I was just giving a scenario to show the issues of not having health insurance. While I sympathise with their situation regarding their son (having been there myself), time and energy might have been better spent kicking the school's arse - after all, making sure your family has decent healthcare seems considerably less reckless (and puts your family in danger more) than sending your kid to school, bullying or no bullying. The question also arises as to whether they had healthcare before sending their son to private school.

My guess is that in, ten years time, America will be asking itself what all the fuss is about - and why healthcare insurance wasn't mandatory before this point. Like it or not, $65000 is a damn good wage - and to not have health insurance on that wage is simply reckless and putting your family's wellbeing (and your own solvency) on the line. The "it will never happen to me" attitude is remarkably naïve.

They took on the school and school board, but the school board in their area is bankrupt due to some shady goings on. Their son was moved to another school, but it was even more violent there. I agree that they needed to be more responsible for the medical welfare of their own family and the husband has medical insurance through his work, but the deductible is extremely high. They're actually thinking of putting the entire family on his insurance plan. Right now, they rarely take their children to a Dr., not even for regular check ups. But even for families who make less than this one, the out of pocket amounts are going to be impossible to meet. Some families fall just under the line for subsidies and it simply is not realistic. Our own household income is well over my friend's, but we are already feeling the affects of the ACA and it's not good.

Currently surviving on under a quarter of your friend's income, I can't say I feel much sympathy when I'm told you or they can't afford health insurance. It seems to me that the priorities of what money is being spent on is rather topsy-turvy - healthcare for anyone is essential, not an optional extra if you have the money after paying out for the latest FTDs (or whatever). Those families in America on the lowest incomes will pay around $300 a year under the new scheme, allowing them to afford healthcare for possibly the first time.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:33 pm

rjm wrote:Anybody on a fixed income here, or get other benefits that will be affected by the shutdown? Or work for agencies that will be impacted? Know anyone who is? I do.

I wish they would work it out, ASAP. But for many people, it is kind of like Apocalypse NOW. Bills must be paid! And without this help, the disabled and many elderly folks are in trouble. So, this will eventually mean other troubles . . . (Particularly for those politicians who did not act to avoid the shutdown!)

Hit the YouTube link; embedding disabled:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3868bLZqRk

rjm

Robert Reich, former U.S. Secretary of Labor, wrote a very cogent, spot-on column this past Sunday on this latest Republican hijacking of our country.

See it here:

Robert Reich --> Stand up to Republican bullies
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79511

Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:30 am

Lexie1973 wrote:

Communism??? Really??? You gotta be kidding me!

Yes , really . when you are forced to partake in something that you do not want to do , that is what it is called . this may be a huge shock to you wild and crazy guy's across the big ocean but not everyone in the usa makes $ 65,000 a year , or even close to that . the poor people , or i guess what used to be called blue collar , will feel the worst of this . people who are just making end's meet and then have to worry about this expense . again most people would love to have health insurance , not having to make do and suffer out the pain . but when you cannot afford to go or afford insurance that is what you have to do . but i guess they assume just because it will become mandatory that you take obamacare that the money to pay for it will magically appear . alot of people are struggling and the horrible economy , worst in history , is not getting any better . they say that unemployment went a few point's , no just the ones that ran out of benefits and can longer receive it make the number smaller . also , small town's will get hit hard as if not already , small business's don't stand a chance and will not be able to keep open and what has managed to stay open will close . so , yea i am not any change for the better . when you can post a value to the point please post as i would love to read it .

Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:24 am

Dear elviscollector101,

I am on an individual private insurance plan, and my premiums have been raised exhorbitantly several times just recently, to the point where I just can't do it anymore. I MUST sign up for the ACA, or lose access to the health care I must have to assure my continued existence. It's that simple. Check, and mate.

I have several health problems that must be supervised by physicians, or I could become quite ill, if I just ignored it. That is, of course, the situation for the uninsured, or the under-insured in this country. They just float on the sea without a life jacket, and pray not to drown. Very soon, I would become one of those uninsured, if not for the ACA, which is saving my life. If that's your "freedom," it's all yours; I sure hope it isn't mine. You may feel differently about my life, since it's mine, not yours.

The way I was taught was that we citizens of the United States of America had the right to LIFE, and liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The latter two are impossible without the former. One must stay alive to have liberty, or pursue happiness. People have died because they did not have health insurance, or were underinsured. There are, of course, those who will say "let him die" as someone did in a Presidential Primary debate last year, when presented with a hypothetical scenario. A healthy 30-year-old man, who has no health insurance, is injured in a wreck through no fault of his own. He will die without extensive health care. An audience member answered the question for the candidates: "would you let him die?" Wolf Blitzer asked. "Yes!" an eager audience member shouted.

That's your idea of America; it's not mine. Because if you believe that, you also would say of me, with all my "pre-existing conditions," no less, "let her die."

Before I link and present an article on Communist Party Member Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care plan, which works splendidly, I want you to click the Facebook link in my signature below (the clickable icon with the "Face Book"), and look at my FACE, and then come back and tell me to "die." If you believe it, do it. But look at my pictures first. Look at me, all of my life, growing up. Look at my parents, and any other people you see in the pictures with me, and the pictures of my personal friends, who love me. And look at my dad, in a photo taken the other day at the L.A. County Fair, at the Star Trek Exhibition. Tell HIM "let Robin die; it would be communism for her to have health care." Imagine telling him that IN PERSON.

So do that, look at the photos, really look, and then tell me: "I want to let you die."

Thank you,
Robin ("rjm")
-----

That said, please read the following article:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/10/01/227887992/lessons-for-the-obamacare-rollout-courtesy-of-massachusetts

Lessons For The Obamacare Rollout, Courtesy Of Massachusetts
by RICHARD KNOX
October 01, 2013 3:23 AM

Today marks a milestone on the nation's long march toward universal health coverage: the launch of online marketplaces, called exchanges, designed to help people find insurance they can afford.

It's an idea pioneered by Massachusetts seven years ago. People here call their program a success, and say the state's exchange was an indispensable factor.

Those involved since the beginning say the Massachusetts health insurance exchange, called the Connector, was the brainchild of former Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican.

Glen Shor, who once ran the Connector and is now the state's secretary of administration and finance, is confident that the nation will follow Massachusetts' lead.

"As the [federal] law begins to be implemented," Shor says, "people will see and feel its positive effects. They'll be able to see through some of the rhetoric and spin."

thumbnail
Politics
Romney's Mission: Massachusetts Health Care
When the Connector opened for business in late 2006, people signed up much faster than projected. Within a year there were 367,000 newly insured citizens.

"Enrollment was fast," Shor says. "One of the clear lessons of the Massachusetts experience is that people want affordable health insurance."

Today, 97 percent of the state's 6.6 million people have it — the highest coverage rate of anywhere in America.

And Shor says Obamacare will bring another 45,000 new people into the fold — those working in low-wage jobs who will qualify for an expansion of MassHealth, the state's Medicaid program.

That group represents "roughly a quarter of the remaining uninsured," says Shor. "A big deal."

Thousands more will become eligible for premium subsidies because they make under $46,000 a year (for an individual) or $94,000 (for a family of four). That will bring Massachusetts pretty close to advocates' longtime dream of universal coverage.

"It's a fight that's worth fighting, and I think ultimately it will be won," Shor says.

“ One of the clear lessons of the Massachusetts experience is that people want affordable health insurance.
- Glen Shor, secretary of the Massachusetts Office for Administration and Finance
But not everybody in Massachusetts is quite so optimistic. Rick Lord is president of Associated Industries of Massachusetts, a prominent business group. He was also a leader in the broad bipartisan coalition of business, consumers, health care providers and insurers that resulted in what some here still call Romneycare.

"I think Massachusetts got health care reform right," says Lord, adding that members of his group are proud that the state is committed to expanding health coverage.

But Lord points out that anything as complicated as health care reform is going to need some tinkering along the way. In Massachusetts, the Legislature passed without controversy three technical corrections after the law was passed. Lord doesn't see how Congress could do that with Obamacare.

"No amendment to the Affordable Care Act will be passed for fear that the whole act will unravel," he says. And that makes him more than a little worried.

"I'm feeling a little pessimistic about how it's going to play out in Washington," Lord says. "If it's not successful at all, I worry that will doom the prospects for revisiting this in the short term, [or] even the medium."

But for now, the fate of Obamacare depends on whether enough Americans vote with their feet in the coming three months, when those who want coverage under the law must choose a plan in order to be covered on Jan. 1.

"That's the big question," says Brian Rosman, research director of Health Care for All, Massachusetts' leading health consumer group.

"Will people jump over the negative publicity and go out and seek health care for themselves because it's in their interest?" Rosman wonders. "Our experience in Massachusetts is that they're going to sign up."

Rosman's colleague Kate Bicego thinks people across the country will too. She manages consumer assistance for Health Care for All.

Bicego has been getting a lot of calls from officials in other states who are scrambling to set up exchanges. She's also hearing from consumers outside Massachusetts. She's heard just about every question, worry and rant about the new exchanges.

"People don't know what Obamacare is," Bicego tells Shots. "Most people have filled their heads with a lot of misinformation about what the law actually requires of people and what the law offers."

Bicego thinks there's only so much anybody can do in advance to dispel misconceptions. She says it's only when people can get their hands on information that matters to them that proponents can cut through the confusion.

In her experience, a lot of people are surprised to hear that there are health plans they can afford; that many people qualify for help in paying the premiums; and that they're not going to be penalized on their taxes for not buying something they can't afford. But getting that across takes time.

"Once I talk to them for about an hour about 'This is actually what the law does,' people are just as excited as I am about what this means," Bicego says.

Brian Rosman predicts that the nation will turn a corner in January when millions of people start to see what it's like to have coverage.

"Once people start getting benefits and it becomes part of the infrastructure of how our health care system works," he says, "the repeal effort will fade away."

That's what happened a generation ago with Medicare and Medicaid. They were pretty controversial, too.

Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:21 am

rjm wrote:Dear elviscollector101,

I am on an individual private insurance plan, and my premiums have been raised exhorbitantly several times just recently, to the point where I just can't do it anymore. I MUST sign up for the ACA, or lose access to the health care I must have to assure my continued existence. It's that simple. Check, and mate.

I have several health problems that must be supervised by physicians, or I could become quite ill, if I just ignored it. That is, of course, the situation for the uninsured, or the under-insured in this country. They just float on the sea without a life jacket, and pray not to drown. Very soon, I would become one of those uninsured, if not for the ACA, which is saving my life. If that's your "freedom," it's all yours; I sure hope it isn't mine. You may feel differently about my life, since it's mine, not yours.

The way I was taught was that we citizens of the United States of America had the right to LIFE, and liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The latter two are impossible without the former. One must stay alive to have liberty, or pursue happiness. People have died because they did not have health insurance, or were underinsured. There are, of course, those who will say "let him die" as someone did in a Presidential Primary debate last year, when presented with a hypothetical scenario. A healthy 30-year-old man, who has no health insurance, is injured in a wreck through no fault of his own. He will die without extensive health care. An audience member answered the question for the candidates: "would you let him die?" Wolf Blitzer asked. "Yes!" an eager audience member shouted.

That's your idea of America; it's not mine. Because if you believe that, you also would say of me, with all my "pre-existing conditions," no less, "let her die."

Before I link and present an article on Communist Party Member Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care plan, which works splendidly, I want you to click the Facebook link in my signature below (the clickable icon with the "Face Book"), and look at my FACE, and then come back and tell me to "die." If you believe it, do it. But look at my pictures first. Look at me, all of my life, growing up. Look at my parents, and any other people you see in the pictures with me, and the pictures of my personal friends, who love me. And look at my dad, in a photo taken the other day at the L.A. County Fair, at the Star Trek Exhibition. Tell HIM "let Robin die; it would be communism for her to have health care." Imagine telling him that IN PERSON.

So do that, look at the photos, really look, and then tell me: "I want to let you die."

Thank you,
Robin ("rjm")
-----

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/10/01/227887992/lessons-for-the-obamacare-rollout-courtesy-of-massachusetts

by RICHARD KNOX

Today marks a milestone on the nation's long march toward universal health coverage: the launch of online marketplaces, called exchanges, designed to help people find insurance they can afford.

It's an idea pioneered by Massachusetts seven years ago. People here call their program a success, and say the state's exchange was an indispensable factor.

Those involved since the beginning say the Massachusetts health insurance exchange, called the Connector, was the brainchild of former Gov. Mitt Romney, a Republican.

Glen Shor, who once ran the Connector and is now the state's secretary of administration and finance, is confident that the nation will follow Massachusetts' lead.

"As the [federal] law begins to be implemented," Shor says, "people will see and feel its positive effects. They'll be able to see through some of the rhetoric and spin."

thumbnail
Politics
When the Connector opened for business in late 2006, people signed up much faster than projected. Within a year there were 367,000 newly insured citizens.

"Enrollment was fast," Shor says. "One of the clear lessons of the Massachusetts experience is that people want affordable health insurance."

Today, 97 percent of the state's 6.6 million people have it — the highest coverage rate of anywhere in America.

And Shor says Obamacare will bring another 45,000 new people into the fold — those working in low-wage jobs who will qualify for an expansion of MassHealth, the state's Medicaid program.

That group represents "roughly a quarter of the remaining uninsured," says Shor. "A big deal."

Thousands more will become eligible for premium subsidies because they make under $46,000 a year (for an individual) or $94,000 (for a family of four). That will bring Massachusetts pretty close to advocates' longtime dream of universal coverage.

"It's a fight that's worth fighting, and I think ultimately it will be won," Shor says.

“ One of the clear lessons of the Massachusetts experience is that people want affordable health insurance.
- Glen Shor, secretary of the Massachusetts Office for Administration and Finance
But not everybody in Massachusetts is quite so optimistic. Rick Lord is president of Associated Industries of Massachusetts, a prominent business group. He was also a leader in the broad bipartisan coalition of business, consumers, health care providers and insurers that resulted in what some here still call Romneycare.

"I think Massachusetts got health care reform right," says Lord, adding that members of his group are proud that the state is committed to expanding health coverage.

But Lord points out that anything as complicated as health care reform is going to need some tinkering along the way. In Massachusetts, the Legislature passed without controversy three technical corrections after the law was passed. Lord doesn't see how Congress could do that with Obamacare.

"No amendment to the Affordable Care Act will be passed for fear that the whole act will unravel," he says. And that makes him more than a little worried.

"I'm feeling a little pessimistic about how it's going to play out in Washington," Lord says. "If it's not successful at all, I worry that will doom the prospects for revisiting this in the short term, [or] even the medium."

But for now, the fate of Obamacare depends on whether enough Americans vote with their feet in the coming three months, when those who want coverage under the law must choose a plan in order to be covered on Jan. 1.

"That's the big question," says Brian Rosman, research director of Health Care for All, Massachusetts' leading health consumer group.

"Will people jump over the negative publicity and go out and seek health care for themselves because it's in their interest?" Rosman wonders. "Our experience in Massachusetts is that they're going to sign up."

Rosman's colleague Kate Bicego thinks people across the country will too. She manages consumer assistance for Health Care for All.

Bicego has been getting a lot of calls from officials in other states who are scrambling to set up exchanges. She's also hearing from consumers outside Massachusetts. She's heard just about every question, worry and rant about the new exchanges.

"People don't know what Obamacare is," Bicego tells Shots. "Most people have filled their heads with a lot of misinformation about what the law actually requires of people and what the law offers."

Bicego thinks there's only so much anybody can do in advance to dispel misconceptions. She says it's only when people can get their hands on information that matters to them that proponents can cut through the confusion.

In her experience, a lot of people are surprised to hear that there are health plans they can afford; that many people qualify for help in paying the premiums; and that they're not going to be penalized on their taxes for not buying something they can't afford. But getting that across takes time.

"Once I talk to them for about an hour about 'This is actually what the law does,' people are just as excited as I am about what this means," Bicego says.

Brian Rosman predicts that the nation will turn a corner in January when millions of people start to see what it's like to have coverage.

"Once people start getting benefits and it becomes part of the infrastructure of how our health care system works," he says, "the repeal effort will fade away."

That's what happened a generation ago with Medicare and Medicaid. They were pretty controversial, too.

Wow rjm, you just said what the whole thing is about imo. And in a very impressive way!
Good luck with your health issues!

Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks, Lexie. Most appreciated.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Lexie1973 wrote:
rjm wrote:Dear elviscollector101,

Thank you,
Robin ("rjm")
-----

by RICHARD KNOX

thumbnail
Politics

Wow rjm, you just said what the whole thing is about imo. And in a very impressive way!
Good luck with your health issues!

Indeed good luck with your health, RJM! And a well written reply!