Off Topic Messages

Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:42 am

Good observations Mister Moon. It'd be so much better if we all just picked up the phone and chatted. I haven't done that in years.

Anyway I'm hiding behind the name Paul Sweeney. Damn it, that's my real name! Mister Moon is yours, right? ;-) Right Doc?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Re: Zombie FECC Members

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:53 am

Hi Paul, that's Cool that you have that photo of you with Ernst and Roger, and on August 16th, you must have had a great conversation with those 2 Legends in the Elvis World, you lucky guy. :smt023

Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:26 am

Bob-Holland wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:Are you begging for a "thanked" again Bob ?

If I was, I would be in the "wrongly dated and wrongly titled found on facebook pics that are presented on FECC as the next holy grail even though the pic actually originates from FECC"-business.
But there can be only one, right TCB-FAN?

I never said anything about the holy grail....and I do get some dates right. Stop misquoting me.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks, 1sixstring and paulsweeney for your posts.

Really, I have little to add to my two previous posts in this thread. Yes, we exchange information, but also opinions, too. That's important. But others' opinions are also a form of information, I think, whether you agree with those or not. It's always interesting to read an informed opinion. And it may help you to modify your own views.

What's really a shame is that, because of the poor behaviour of some members, the forum may become a bit poorer, sometimes. Because, if you know you're going to bother yourself looking for some info, or scanning a photo from a book, etc., and the other member, who asked explicitly for it, will just save it to his / her computer and say nothing, well, maybe next time you will not answer to their queries. And that's a normal thing. No hate involved. At all.

As for the nicknames, well, I wasn't the one who invented this. I have no interest in "hiding", I have nothing to hide, nor here or anywhere else. It's just a fun bit, at least in my part. When you register here, they ask you for a log-in name, and as it seems most of the members choose to use a nickname, well, why not ? I thought of various nicknames, and "Mister Moon" seemed appropriate as an indirect, reversed, hommage to Sun, and also as an hommage to a classic rockabilly track. Nothing else.

There's people, like you Paul, who not only use their real name, but also use their face as an avatar. That's OK with me. It's your choice !

Thanks again for your comments !

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:55 am

TCB-FAN wrote:I never said anything about the holy grail....and I do get some dates right. Stop misquoting me.

This should be your new signature! :smt023

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks, 1sixstring and paulsweeney for your posts.

Really, I have little to add to my two previous posts in this thread. Yes, we exchange information, but also opinions, too. That's important. But others' opinions are also a form of information, I think, whether you agree with those or not. It's always interesting to read an informed opinion. And it may help you to modify your own views.

What's really a shame is that, because of the poor behaviour of some members, the forum may become a bit poorer, sometimes. Because, if you know you're going to bother yourself looking for some info, or scanning a photo from a book, etc., and the other member, who asked explicitly for it, will just save it to his / her computer and say nothing, well, maybe next time you will not answer to their queries. And that's a normal thing. No hate involved. At all.

As for the nicknames, well, I wasn't the one who invented this. I have no interest in "hiding", I have nothing to hide, nor here or anywhere else. It's just a fun bit, at least in my part. When you register here, they ask you for a log-in name, and as it seems most of the members choose to use a nickname, well, why not ? I thought of various nicknames, and "Mister Moon" seemed appropriate as an indirect, reversed, hommage to Sun, and also as an hommage to a classic rockabilly track. Nothing else.

There's people, like you Paul, who not only use their real name, but also use their face as an avatar. That's OK with me. It's your choice !

The nicknames. In many cases (like in yours) people do not chose a name to hide behind in the first place, but in all cases it's a name that obviously means something to them, the nickname is a way of presenting yourself and telling something about yourself that you want people to know, so in a way it is important to that person for whatever reason. Same goes for the avatar: it's a tool to express yourself.
And the nick certainly has a function too, look at how people usually address drjohncarpenter, 'Doc' and 'The Doc' etc., no matter how you look at it, in the eyes of many (especially new members) this is a form of status. The name (in this case) also immediatly indicates a distance between two people, me down here and you up there (or me up here and you down there). Even if not every person is aware of this, but a title like 'The Doc' puts this person in a special catagory, and if this is true, this means that other people are not so special (once again, in the eyes of many, not in all). Imagine how different it would have been if his nick would have been 'Dopey' or 'Despicable Me' (with a matching avatar), haha.
And then there's the signature. This is also a tool that you can use to your advantage. I use it to plug my site. Other people use it to even more (next to their name and avatar) build their online persona.

It is no coincidence that someone like Paul Sweeney (real name, real photo) is seen on this board as someone you trust your kids with, someone who hardly (if ever) is involved in any of the countless quarrels even tho he always expresses his own opinion. I'm not saying this is solely because of the name/avatar-thing, but I do say that he chose to use his own name and photo for a reason. If Paul would treat people the same way as drjohncarpenter often did/does, he would probably receive a lot of hate-mail and most probably even visits to the door. Drjohncarpenter is in hiding for a reason, he can't even be contacted through pm. While Paul Sweeney can easily share private information about his family with this forum without having to look over his shoulder.

Of course there are always exceptions. And a (nick)name is really only a name, and in the end it's the person (and his behaviour) behind the nick who determines what his name actually stands for.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:35 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Bob-Holland wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:Are you begging for a "thanked" again Bob ?

If I was, I would be in the "wrongly dated and wrongly titled found on facebook pics that are presented on FECC as the next holy grail even though the pic actually originates from FECC"-business.
But there can be only one, right TCB-FAN?

I never said anything about the holy grail....and I do get some dates right. Stop misquoting me.

He's an agitator who contributes little of value here, and instead tries to derail topics with personal agendas, as may be seen on this one.

Just ignore him and he'll eventually fade away.

::rocks

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:He's an agitator who contributes little of value here, and instead tries to derail topics with personal agendas, as may be seen on this one.

A very weak statement, and you know it. But what else can you do, seems like there is nothing much left for you to do in order to get back at me. You've tried and tried, but you failed and failed.
And your post was surely an indirect way of showing your emotion after reading my post directly above yours. I understand. Don't worry.

"derailing topics"
"personal agendas"
Hmmm ... one name immediatly comes to mind, and guess which name that is, "drjohncarpenter"?

And your hope of me eventually fading away, will eventually ... fade away.
You see I only been here for 10 years.
Hang in there, you'll survive. :smt023

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:52 pm

SUN-RCA wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Sometimes, common courtesy is in short supply here. Heck, just look at some of the replies on this topic.

But, hey, it's the internet!

I do appreciate every good member of FECC, and I hope you know that!

Thanks.

:lol: so says the member that has given out only 38 thank you's in 10 years, that's 3.8 times a year, and as for replies, i have read hundreds of condescending replies from you to many members. :wink:

You need to revisit your calculations. The "Thanks System" has been in place for 9 months, not 10 years:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73863&p=1111617#p1111617

This means, among other things, that FECC members currently thank me about 84 times a month. How does that fit into your equations?

I also more often thank people by typing it directly into a reply, rather than using the "Thanks" button.

Finally, you also need to revisit my replies in context before making accusations, because you are just as wrong there.

Have a nice day, and don't go climbing any electrical towers. ;-)

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sometimes, common courtesy is in short supply here.

Chris

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:53 am

ChrisM wrote:

Chris

Up your game and you might be thanked more than 8 times in 9 months. ;-)