Off Topic Messages

Re: Lisa-Marie performing in the Jungle Room

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:He got to play Elvis' 1956 Gibson J-200! Wow, that IS an honor.

Wow, that's a shame.

No, what would be a shame is if Lisa took Elvis' 1956 Gibson J-200 and smashed it over the head of one of those "fans" who posts vitriolic comments on the internet.

Wait, maybe that wouldn't be so bad. ;-)

What is vitriolic about saying that Lisa doesn't sing or perform well? You are constantly pointing out when Elvis didn't sing or perform well. Are you being vitriolic?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:01 am

Most people that couldn't sing very well but were offered a record deal would take it.

Lisa is playing her music and writing songs because she likes to.

She is probably aware that she's not a very good singer and the media wouldn't pay any attention to her if she wasn't Elvis' daughter.

I'm sure that bothers her deep down and I do think it's annoying that the media gives her all that attention just for that reason.

But still she's gotten the chance to do what she loves and I don't begrudge anyone that.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:42 pm

More to the point she must be only the 2nd person to sing/record in the Jungle Room?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:48 pm

More to the point she must be the only the 2nd person to sing/record in the Jingle room? The other being big E

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 pm

I like that pic. Sort of gives you an idea of how Elvis might have had things arranged during his recording sessions there, minus the bright lights. I read somewhere that he had blue lights set up while recording there.

Nice pic, nonetheless.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Not a fan ,but good on her

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:51 pm

Same old thing...so and so artist don't write their own songs...blah, blah, blah, blah!!!!!! I know plenty of great artist that never have written a song in their life...but that doesn't make them any less talented. I'm sure Glen Campbell was happy there was a John Hartford "Gentle on my Mind." I'm sure Patsy Cline felt the same about Willie Nelson "Crazy." Whitney Houston.... Dolly Parton "I will always love you."

That's the one thing that constantly comes up in the Beatles versus Elvis debates...yeah..but man, like the Beatles like wrote their own songs man...Elvis didn't. Uh Ok...big F'ing deal. :roll:

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:11 pm

I agree Fairchld 1171.
It is so very tiresome when people (usually young people who have grown up with the single concept of dodgy singer-songwriters) drag out that old chestnut about 'Elvis never wrote his own songs'.
Nor did Callas, Pavarotti, Sinatra, Jolson, Dino, Garland etc etc. is my usual reply. They are no less great because of it.
I can never remember if Piaf wrote some of her songs, I believe she did, but I always want to cite her too! :D

Otherwise I totally agree with brian:

Most people that couldn't sing very well but were offered a record deal would take it.

She is probably aware that she's not a very good singer and the media wouldn't pay any attention to her if she wasn't Elvis' daughter.

I'm sure that bothers her deep down and I do think it's annoying that the media gives her all that attention just for that reason.

But still she's gotten the chance to do what she loves and I don't begrudge anyone that.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:22 pm

JaneTLC wrote:I agree Fairchld 1171.
It is so very tiresome when people (usually young people who have grown up with the single concept of dodgy singer-songwriters) drag out that old chestnut about 'Elvis never wrote his own songs'.
Nor did Callas, Pavarotti, Sinatra, Jolson, Dino, Garland etc etc. is my usual reply. They are no less great because of it.
I can never remember if Piaf wrote some of her songs, I believe she did, but I always want to cite her too! :D

Otherwise I totally agree with brian:

same here & all Elvis fans have had the same rubbish thrown their way at some point

Elvis was too busy bein Elvis, he was a singer not a poet. he didn't need to write the songs, he made those songs his own by his delivery alone. John Wayne, De Niro, Cruise, Pitt, Redford & Newman never wrote a script but it never stopped them being the best actors :roll: argument over!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:26 pm

It's not the criticism of her voice or performance style, but the hostile edge behind the comments that puzzles people.

It's just...nice, that she is able to occasionally turn the museum back into a home. She has Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in the Dining Room, with members of her Memphis family in attendance. She maintains the upstairs as a private residence, and keeps people from gawking at the spot on the floor where Elvis died. For all we know, she has a playroom for the twins or a media room up there (keeping in mind that the office and the wardrobe room are barely furnished as they once were, if at all). Setting up the band in the Jungle Room was an obvious homage to her father.

She's not the best singer. She does seem awkward on stage. But damn, once in awhile she makes an expression that looks just like him. Why not enjoy it while it lasts? I also found it heartwarming to see that beautiful guitar come alive, if only for a short while.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:34 pm

elvisjock wrote:It's not the criticism of her voice or performance style, but the hostile edge behind the comments that puzzles people.

It's not just Lisa. Some here are very insensitive to many who Elvis loved and/or cared for. Priscilla, Linda, Ginger, Charlie, J.D., Sherrill, Lamar, Red, Sonny....the list goes on.

Most of the comments ridiculing them aren't funny, but actually quite sad.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:40 pm

elvisjock wrote:It's not the criticism of her voice or performance style, but the hostile edge behind the comments that puzzles people.

It's just...nice, that she is able to occasionally turn the museum back into a home. She has Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in the Dining Room, with members of her Memphis family in attendance. She maintains the upstairs as a private residence, and keeps people from gawking at the spot on the floor where Elvis died. For all we know, she has a playroom for the twins or a media room up there (keeping in mind that the office and the wardrobe room are barely furnished as they once were, if at all). Setting up the band in the Jungle Room was an obvious homage to her father.

She's not the best singer. She does seem awkward on stage. But damn, once in awhile she makes an expression that looks just like him. Why not enjoy it while it lasts? I also found it heartwarming to see that beautiful guitar come alive, if only for a short while.

seems it's fashion to slate :shock:

when i saw her do a 1 hr approx concert in London last year, i wasn't expecting much as i never liked the album, but she really was very good, to the point of it bein a great night - maybe she could feel the love in that room, as the people there went mad for her the moment she appeared

it was small tho & intimate shows are always the best due to artist & crowd contact - last person at the back couldn't of been 50ft away, closest people were touching at times to 2ft

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:He got to play Elvis' 1956 Gibson J-200! Wow, that IS an honor.

Absolutely. He is a professional musician and he was shaking when playing that guitar. Myself as a fan, that means a lot to me.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:26 pm

So where will this performance be broadcast? We only seem to have still photos of the event at the moment. :?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:00 pm

ELVIS-PRESLEY_1969-VEGAS wrote:More to the point she must be the only the 2nd person to sing/record in the Jingle room? The other being big E

No, there has been several performers who have sang in the jungle room
There was a series that was featured on Elvis.com called "Live From The Jungle Room" with several prominent artists singing in the Jungle Room. John Melloncamp was one. So was Kid Rock:
See 1:10

phpBB [video]

Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:08 am

Rob wrote:It's not just Lisa. Some here are very insensitive to many who Elvis loved and/or cared for. Priscilla, Linda, Ginger, Charlie, J.D., Sherrill, Lamar, Red, Sonny....the list goes on.

Indeed. Some of the comments on this topic are indeed sad, and pathetic. I hope they stop.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:18 am

I Like Lisa, i actually love many songs of her latest album Storm and Grace..

Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 am

This Photo would make an awesome Album/CD cover for sure. 8)

Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 am

elvisjock wrote: She's not the best singer. She does seem awkward on stage. But damn, once in awhile she makes an expression that looks just like him. Why not enjoy it while it lasts? I also found it heartwarming to see that beautiful guitar come alive, if only for a short while.

Are you saying you like Lisa as a performer just because she reminds you of Elvis once in a while?

Because if so that's the opposite of what she wants.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:04 am

Review of Lisa Marie's performance in Seatle:

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundpost ... iple-door/

She performed recently here in Denver and had a dismal turnout. I would have popped in to see her but she was at a different theater which isn't close to my business. They booked her into the Bluebird Theater instead of the Gothic Theater were she performed the last 2 times. A friend of mine went and she said there was barely 100 people there in a place that holds 550.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Rob wrote:It's not just Lisa. Some here are very insensitive to many who Elvis loved and/or cared for. Priscilla, Linda, Ginger, Charlie, J.D., Sherrill, Lamar, Red, Sonny....the list goes on.

Indeed. Some of the comments on this topic are indeed sad, and pathetic. I hope they stop.

Yeah...Kind of reminds us about your comments on Sherill (before he died)...then the tune suddenly changed...
Last edited by Scarre on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:06 am

If she really would care about EP:s legacy, she would close Graceland, but it´s about the money.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:13 pm

What do people expect? Aretha Franklin? A lot of singers have odd voices; I enjoy her latest album very much!

"Just A Dream" is such a pretty and moving little song.

And the overly literal "I Was Wrong" is maybe a guilty pleasure. No, definitely.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 pm

I love "Storm and Grace". This material really suits her voice, or the other way around. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. It must not have been easy to grow up as Elvis' only daughter but she seems to be in a good place now with her husband and those adorable twins. I'm happy for her, she's a cool lady 8)

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 pm

rjm wrote:What do people expect? Aretha Franklin? A lot of singers have odd voices; I enjoy her latest album very much!

"Just A Dream" is such a pretty and moving little song.

And the overly literal "I Was Wrong" is maybe a guilty pleasure. No, definitely.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Initially we were all hoping some genetic singing ability had been passed down to Lisa from her Dad. We had seen it before. Look at Julian Lennon. He had a very similar voice to his Dad's but also completely his own. Other children of famous artists seem to have inherited the talent as well like Sean Lennon, Jacob Dylan, Natalie Cole, James McCartney, Dhani Harrison, Nancy Sinatra (Well maybe I'm stretching), Frank Sinatra Jr., Witney Houston. So yeah, maybe were were expecting Aretha Franklin. Well not really but we were expecting something. Unfortunately she didn't inherit her father's talent.

The music and production on her last album is pretty good (it should be with T-Bone Burnett) and so are her lyrics but her voice is just mud.