Off Topic Messages

Re: Lisa-Marie performing in the Jungle Room

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:39 pm

eligain wrote:Initially we were all hoping some genetic singing ability had been passed down to Lisa from her Dad. We had seen it before. Look at Julian Lennon.

Is this a wind-up?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 pm

Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:It's not the criticism of her voice or performance style, but the hostile edge behind the comments that puzzles people.

It's just...nice, that she is able to occasionally turn the museum back into a home. She has Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in the Dining Room, with members of her Memphis family in attendance. She maintains the upstairs as a private residence, and keeps people from gawking at the spot on the floor where Elvis died. For all we know, she has a playroom for the twins or a media room up there (keeping in mind that the office and the wardrobe room are barely furnished as they once were, if at all). Setting up the band in the Jungle Room was an obvious homage to her father.

She's not the best singer. She does seem awkward on stage. But damn, once in awhile she makes an expression that looks just like him. Why not enjoy it while it lasts? I also found it heartwarming to see that beautiful guitar come alive, if only for a short while.

Rob wrote:It's not just Lisa. Some here are very insensitive to many who Elvis loved and/or cared for. Priscilla, Linda, Ginger, Charlie, J.D., Sherrill, Lamar, Red, Sonny....the list goes on.

Most of the comments ridiculing them aren't funny, but actually quite sad.

Indeed. Some of the comments on this topic are indeed sad, and pathetic. I hope they stop.

Yeah...Kind of reminds us about your comments on Sherill (before he died)...then the tune suddenly changed...

Actually, no. My "comments" from years ago (whatever they are) fall under a completely different context, and are not at all analogous to this discussion.

Thanks for popping in, both of you ("us").

Have a nice day. ;-)

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:05 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:Initially we were all hoping some genetic singing ability had been passed down to Lisa from her Dad. We had seen it before. Look at Julian Lennon.

Is this a wind-up?

No "wind up";

To me her voice is mud and her stage presence is awkward. That's it.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:07 pm

eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Is this a wind-up?

No "wind up";

Are you done?

We hope so.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
eligain wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Is this a wind-up?

No "wind up";

Are you done?

We hope so.

Done with what? Saying that Lisa Marie can't sing? I'm not going to say she's good just because she's Elvis's daughter. If she's having fun, good for her but she's put it out there for public consumption and so she's not untouchable for critiquing what she's putting out there. My initial post in this thread was that I saw her perform on a TV show the other day and she was shockingly bad for someone who has 10+ years of performing under her belt.

Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 pm

Some jungle room pics from the session.......

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:28 am

Lisa's situation reminds of Kris Kristofferson's in the late 1960s.

Kris Kristofferson started out as a singer-songwriter and he was writing all kinds of greats songs but he wasn't blessed with a great singing voice and most people didn't like his songs because of it.

Fortunately for him much better singers started recording his compositions and they made hits out of them.

Kris Kristofferson never really achieved a lot of success as a performer but he did get recognition for his songwriting.

I think Lisa has co-written some good songs that might be better off in other singers hands.

Lights out, Idiot, You ain't seen nothing yet, Weary and Over me.

Those songs if other singers recorded them might have gotten more recognition than they have.

I wonder if Lisa has ever seriously thought about giving some of her songs to other singers so she maybe could get some recognition in the music business as a songwriter.

Christina Aguilera
Avril Lavigne
Wynona Judd
Pink
Martina Mcbride
Faith Hill

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:44 am

brian wrote:Lisa's situation reminds of Kris Kristofferson's in the late 1960s.

Kris Kristofferson started out as a singer-songwriter and he was writing all kinds of greats songs but he wasn't blessed with a great singing voice and most people didn't like his songs because of it.

Fortunately for him much better singers started recording his compositions and they made hits out of them.

Kris Kristofferson never really achieved a lot of success as a performer but he did get recognition for his songwriting.

I think Lisa has co-written some good songs that might be better off in other singers hands.

Lights out, Idiot, You ain't seen nothing yet, Weary and Over me.

Those songs if other singers recorded them might have gotten more recognition than they have.

I wonder if Lisa has ever seriously thought about giving some of her songs to other singers so she maybe could get some recognition in the music business as a songwriter.

Christina Aguilera
Avril Lavigne
Wynona Judd
Pink
Martina Mcbride
Faith Hill

I agree. But, I've seen Kristofferson perform and despite his voice he has a lot of charisma and is a good performer and puts on a great show.

BTW, someone else who can't sing well is Taylor Swift. She's able to sound good on record with studio tricks but live she's usually horribly off key and flat. She is improving though. The first time I heard her sing live was on the country knock off of American Idol (Country Star). I thought she was a horrible contestant but I was shocked to find out she was the guest star.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:55 am

Another thing about Lisa and her performances is that she's never performed that much.

She didn't even start singing and performing until she was 34 and then since she started she performs very infrequently.

She'll make one album, then do a short tour and then disappear for several years until she feels like making another record.

She might have gotten to be a better performer if she would have performed more and gained more experience.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:28 am

brian wrote:Another thing about Lisa and her performances is that she's never performed that much.

She didn't even start singing and performing until she was 34 and then since she started she performs very infrequently.

She'll make one album, then do a short tour and then disappear for several years until she feels like making another record.

She might have gotten to be a better performer if she would have performed more and gained more experience.

And that's what I'm talking about! That's the problem. If she was serious about her craft, she would be honing her performing skills by performing as much as she could. She started out backwards. She got a record deal because of who she was and made a record and a video and did television performances before she had ever performed a single concert. And then when she did do her first tour it was with very little rehearsal (which showed). She should have been performing her songs in clubs before she ever got her record contract and then she would have had the chops to carry a whole concert. She now has over 10 years of performing under her belt and she is still awkward on stage.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:30 am

Lisa didn't want to do that.

She got a record deal in 1992 but soon afterwards she found out that she was pregnant with her son Ben.

That put her singing career on hold because she decided to just stay home and raise him.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:44 am

brian wrote:Lisa didn't want to do that.

She got a record deal in 1992 but soon afterwards she found out that she was pregnant with her son Ben.

That put her singing career on hold because she decided to just stay home and raise him.

And so she reaps the consequences of not honing her craft. Why didn't she do it when she was ready to start recording. Why didn't she do it while she was raising Ben? There are plenty of clubs in LA that would have accommodated her. She didn't have to tour the country.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:53 am

eligain wrote:
brian wrote:Lisa didn't want to do that.

And so she reaps the consequences of not honing her craft. Why didn't she do it when she was ready to start recording. Why didn't she do it while she was raising Ben? There are plenty of clubs in LA that would have accommodated her. She didn't have to tour the country.

She could have played some clubs to get her feet wet and then still tour to promote her album back then.

She had nannies to help with Riley and Ben just like she's doing now with touring and raising those twins.

I think evidently her heart really wasn't into at that time because she could have worked it out.

Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scarre wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:It's not the criticism of her voice or performance style, but the hostile edge behind the comments that puzzles people.

It's just...nice, that she is able to occasionally turn the museum back into a home. She has Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners in the Dining Room, with members of her Memphis family in attendance. She maintains the upstairs as a private residence, and keeps people from gawking at the spot on the floor where Elvis died. For all we know, she has a playroom for the twins or a media room up there (keeping in mind that the office and the wardrobe room are barely furnished as they once were, if at all). Setting up the band in the Jungle Room was an obvious homage to her father.

She's not the best singer. She does seem awkward on stage. But damn, once in awhile she makes an expression that looks just like him. Why not enjoy it while it lasts? I also found it heartwarming to see that beautiful guitar come alive, if only for a short while.

Rob wrote:It's not just Lisa. Some here are very insensitive to many who Elvis loved and/or cared for. Priscilla, Linda, Ginger, Charlie, J.D., Sherrill, Lamar, Red, Sonny....the list goes on.

Most of the comments ridiculing them aren't funny, but actually quite sad.

Indeed. Some of the comments on this topic are indeed sad, and pathetic. I hope they stop.

Yeah...Kind of reminds us about your comments on Sherill (before he died)...then the tune suddenly changed...

Actually, no. My "comments" from years ago (whatever they are) fall under a completely different context, and are not at all analogous to this discussion.

Thanks for popping in, both of you ("us").

Have a nice day. ;-)

You wish...but it ainĀ“t.

ps. "us" meant the board...ds. :D