Off Topic Messages

Which came first the chicken or the egg

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:02 am

Tom Jones is like 'the little girl who had a little curl'. When he is good, he is very very good, but when he is bad..............

Anyhow, this is him at his best. Remind you of anybody ?

phpBB [video]

Re: Which came first the chicken or the egg

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 am

Elvis knew what Tom was up to -- and he loved him.

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 am

Who does he remind you of? I don't get it.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:50 am

nod3million wrote:Who does he remind you of? I don't get it.

No ? Just me then.

Ah well, one more.
phpBB [video]

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:51 am

Did you read the first reply to your topic?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Did you read the first reply to your topic?

Oh yeah, sorry, I hadn't but I have now !

Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:54 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Did you read the first reply to your topic?

Oh yeah, sorry, I hadn't but I have now !

Chicken or the egg?? Obviously Elvis came before Tom. We all know Elvis was an inspiration to Tom, and vice versa in ways, is that your point?

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:13 am

nod3million wrote: Chicken or the egg?? Obviously Elvis came before Tom. We all know Elvis was an inspiration to Tom, and vice versa in ways, is that your point?

My point is, that Elvis and Tom were doing similar stage acts at around the same time. So did Elvis take from Tom or did Tom take from Elvis.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:34 am

Tom's Live Vegas album from early 1969 DEFINITELY inspired Elvis' live show when he kicked off in July.

The banter, the band intro's, the crescendo endings, the yesterday/hey jude medley etc

It's a fine album!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:04 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Tom's Live Vegas album from early 1969 DEFINITELY inspired Elvis' live show when he kicked off in July.

The banter, the band intro's, the crescendo endings, the yesterday/hey jude medley etc

It's a fine album!

I think you are correct. There was a transformation in Elvis between the 68 Special and TTWII. And that transformation was inspired by Tom Jones.

Elvis took Tom's act, smoothed and refined it, added a tongue-in-cheek element and hey presto. In his book Albert Goldman quoted Nick Naff (director of publicity at the Flamingo and then at the International) as saying (of Elvis and Tom) 'Elvis was much the brighter of the two'.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Tom's Live Vegas album from early 1969 DEFINITELY inspired Elvis' live show when he kicked off in July.

It's a fine album!

Indeed it is

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:05 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
nod3million wrote: Chicken or the egg?? Obviously Elvis came before Tom. We all know Elvis was an inspiration to Tom, and vice versa in ways, is that your point?

My point is, that Elvis and Tom were doing similar stage acts at around the same time. So did Elvis take from Tom or did Tom take from Elvis.

No doubt Tom's Vegas act did influence Elvis' but I do t think just Tom's did. But you are right. I always thought Elvis shouldn't have done the talking bits, the life story bits I mean, they weren't funny, his jokes were silly and the stuttering was silly. Keep to the singing El.

Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:05 am

mike edwards66 wrote:

No doubt Tom's Vegas act did influence Elvis' but I do t think just Tom's did. But you are right. I always thought Elvis shouldn't have done the talking bits, the life story bits I mean, they weren't funny, his jokes were silly and the stuttering was silly. Keep to the singing Elvis

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:06 am

nod3million wrote: I always thought Elvis shouldn't have done the talking bits, the life story bits I mean, they weren't funny, his jokes were silly and the stuttering was silly.

To be fair, the life story 'monologue' only really suffers with repeated listening. I'm pretty sure anyone in the audience at any of the 69 shows would have been tickled pink to hear Elvis talking about his life.

mike edwards66 wrote:In his book Albert Goldman quoted Nick Naff (director of publicity at the Flamingo and then at the International) as saying (of Elvis and Tom) 'Elvis was much the brighter of the two'.

The Albert Goldman (Nick Naff) quote more fully:

'Tom gave Elvis those head shakes, the vocal accents on the bridges, the freeze poses at the end of the songs, the trick of wiping the sweat with a cloth and then throwing it out in the house - all those things. The big difference was that Tom did all this stuff instinctively. He just didn't know any other way to work. Elvis was much smarter. He wasn't so spontaneous, but he knew a good thing when he saw it. He took Tom's stuff, translated it into his own style, rehearsed his ass off and went over big with it. Elvis was much the brighter of the two.'

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:20 am

nod3million wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

No doubt Tom's Vegas act did influence Elvis' but I do t think just Tom's did. But you are right. I always thought Elvis shouldn't have done the talking bits, the life story bits I mean, they weren't funny, his jokes were silly and the stuttering was silly. Keep to the singing El.

Oh, I LOVE the monologues.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 am

George Smith wrote:
nod3million wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

Oh, I LOVE the monologues.

Me, too.

And "nod3million," what does that mean: "the stuttering was silly"?

Elvis had a stutter; so does my dad. Should stutterers not speak? I mean, if you don't like the monologues, fine - a matter of taste. But what does "the stuttering is stupid" mean, exactly. {confused}

If I got you wrong on this, my apologies.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:50 am

Elvis never got booed when telling his life story. He gets applauded for it when he is through talking. Like RJM said, the stutter was there, nothing silly about it.

I am glad Elvis told his life story. Under the many jokes lies a painful truth and he is sharing that with the showroom, the lucky people.

Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:48 am

epf wrote: I am glad Elvis told his life story. Under the many jokes lies a painful truth and he is sharing that with the showroom, the lucky people.

You could be right. And he was firing on all cylinders.