Off Topic Messages

Dr John Carpenter Imposter on facebook?

Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:31 pm

I have just noticed that "Dr John Carpenter" has joined facebook, using Doc's avatar from FECC. Now, I'm pretty sure that Doc said he would never join facebook. So I'm guessing we have an imposter here who may well be thinking of typing stuff that would ridicule Doc.

If that's the case, Doc oughtta contact Facebook and ask that the profile be removed.

http://www.facebook.com/docjohn.carpent ... &fref=pymk

Re: Dr John Carpenter Imposter on facebook?

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Seeing as how neither of them is actually called John Carpenter - and I'm guessing that they're not real doctors either - then I don't think there's much of a case to be made.

Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:50 pm

The John Carpenter on here does not own the "rights" to that name or likeness...anyone can make a profile with the same name or image. What would they gain by going on FB to try and make a mockery out of someone who is using a fake name and image? :lol:

Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:48 pm

The Pirate wrote:Seeing as how neither of them is actually called John Carpenter - and I'm guessing that they're not real doctors either - then I don't think there's much of a case to be made.

they may not be Doctors but are they carpenters??? or better yet are they Johns??? :shock: :shock:

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:19 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:I have just noticed that "Dr John Carpenter" has joined facebook, using Doc's avatar from FECC. Now, I'm pretty sure that Doc said he would never join facebook. So I'm guessing we have an imposter here who may well be thinking of typing stuff that would ridicule Doc.

If that's the case, Doc oughtta contact Facebook and ask that the profile be removed.

http://www.facebook.com/docjohn.carpent ... &fref=pymk

It ain't me, I don't do Facebook, I just enjoy sharing here on FECC.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:44 am

Also a guy on guitar forums 101 too is that you?

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:25 am

ritchie valens wrote:Also a guy on guitar forums 101 too is that you?

Nope.

The way you can tell is that my work strives to be incredibly accurate, passionate and intelligent. ;-)

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nope.

The way you can tell is that my work strives to be incredibly accurate, passionate and intelligent. ;-)

Like your avatar photo?

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:28 am

cartoonland wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Nope.

Like your avatar photo?

Maybe. ;-)

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 am

Well, some people, who wish to keep their privacy while still having access to Facebook, sometimes break the rules and create a totally false account: an account where they call themselves "Arthur Crudup" or "Brian Jones" or "Mocking Bird" or whatever, so as to see what's going on there. Now, of course, they'll get kicked off, but they'll come back on. Facebook "cracks down" but if it's only to have access, why would one care? It's not a forum like this; it's got over a billion users!

When I first went on in February, 2012, I was as nervous as . . . well, ya know. And I truncated my name! Left off the last few letters, because I had read that teachers with thousands of former students regularly did that, to avoid being "found" by disgruntled students. (I had some "B+" ones who were really P'd off! Those who did really bad, didn't even care.)

And then I heard about "the crackdown" on people who didn't give their full, complete legal name. That they would ask for ID and a credit card! Or else they'd kick you off. So I restored the last few letters. I actually had an actual nightmare with Facebook "cops" breaking down my door at night, ransacking my place, looking for "my real identity." And I changed the doggone thing to my full name!

But if one just wants to check it out, a fake account that will be taken down is a way. No one would ever know. There are victims of domestic violence who HAVE to have a fake account, if they want to use social media. (I have set up a private group, which cannot be searched, for victims of child abuse, stalking, and domestic violence, or who have PTSD. I have a FB friend who's had to change names several times, and I thought it would be a nice outlet; I made her an administrator so she can add who she likes. It's a place where people can share experiences, and safety tips for using social media.)

Of course, a fake account using a "real" avatar and well-known username would be kind of silly!!!!!! :lol:

Just clicked it. How bizarre!!!!!! Are those all "real" people who are "friends"????????

rjm

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The way you can tell is that my work strives to be incredibly accurate, passionate and intelligent.

"Strives" being the key word! :wink:

RKS

Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:55 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
The way you can tell is that my work strives to be incredibly accurate, passionate and intelligent.

"Strives" being the key word!

Perhaps you'll someday embrace the concept, not to mention mastering the quote function. ;-)

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:21 pm

If there are ETA's.....why not DTA's ??? (Doc Tribute Artist). After all...imitation is indeed a form of flattery. :wink:

Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Perhaps that person on Facebook took his Facebook-identity from an Elvis movie and is not aware of others who did the same elsewhere in the Elvis-fanworld?

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:20 pm

The user of this name on this board gives himself way too much credit. :lol:

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:43 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:The user of this name on this board gives himself way too much credit. :lol:

You enjoy your corner-case opinion, the rest of us will have fun. ;-)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=69

Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:52 pm

Oh here now Doc...you know I'm just having fun with ya lil' buddy. :wink:

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:15 am

Fairchild1171 wrote: Oh here now Doc...you know I'm just having fun with ya lil' buddy.

Doc doesn't have fun! All business ya know! :lol:

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Perhaps you'll someday embrace the concept, not to mention mastering the quote function.

I'll strive for it! Not a big priority though. :wink:

RKS

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:02 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote: Oh here now Doc...you know I'm just having fun with ya lil' buddy.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Perhaps you'll someday embrace the concept, not to mention mastering the quote function.

Apparently, not a priority at all. ;-)

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Apparently, not a priority at all. ;-)

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I love this board. :lol:

::rocks ::rocks

Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:21 am

Mitch wrote:
I love this board.

You'll love it even more once you've seen my latest entry in the Miss Queen Alizee beauty contest (the thread, that is). Plenty of "Vaaaaaa..s" and a whole lotta "Voooooooom" !!!

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:35 am

Weird but I guess it has to be flattering in a strange way.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:49 am

Mike Eder wrote:Weird but I guess it has to be flattering in a strange way.

But the "Doc" there still only has 11 friends . . . :(

phpBB [video]

What a silly thing! :roll:

rjm

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:46 am

There are lots of fake names on Facebook. A lot of people have their hobby in their name. Perhaps this one likes to play doctor.

Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:26 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:

Perhaps this one likes to play doctor.

Kind of like the one here! :P

You can quote me on that! :wink:

RKS