Off Topic Messages

Jimi Hendrix died on this day in 1970

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:16 pm

September 18, 1970

Still amazing 43 years later, some things just never go out of style…

phpBB [video]

Re: Jimi Hendrix died on this day in 1970

Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:29 pm

The first guitarist that inspired me to really start playing. Remember seeing and hearing this guy for the first time, his stuff has never aged. Always sounds fresh.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 pm

Jimi loved Elvis very, very much.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:09 am

intheghetto wrote:September 18, 1970

Still amazing 43 years later, some things just never go out of style…

phpBB [video]

Yep absolutely right about that. I was talking about this earlier today. This morning I listened to his final interview given on September 11th 1970. So much of that interview was incredibly moving to me. Not only because it was his last interview but some of the things he talked about gave tremendous insight into where his head was. He was a very sweet guy, yet somewhat misunderstood as Icons often are. You could almost feel his heart beat in that interview.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Jimi loved Elvis very, very much.

Yep. Not only from the beginning but I like how even after Jimi was a star himself he still had Elvis songs listed on his setlist. You know he always stayed a fan if he squeezed Elvis songs into his performances. I have friends that are Hendrix fans that didn't know about Jimi liking Elvis until I showed them excerpts from his brother's book about him.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:16 am

And he witnessed "the Hound Dog National Anthem" prank in Seattle! And from one festival to another, morphed it into the Woodstock stunner. Earlier, he did almost the same switcheroo that Elvis did, but the audience was wrong for it.

Watch this.

phpBB [video]

So, he took his guitar, and did his own thing.

Which is immortal. (It's in the Woodstock film.)

As is much of his work.

RIP, young man.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4