Off Topic Messages

Little Richard profile on Matt The Cat email newsletter

Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 am

Show #176

Early Little Richard: 1951-55

Before Little Richard's atomic howl burst through radios in early 1956 with a feverish "Wop-bop-a-loo-mop alop-bam-bom," he was just another Rhythm & Blues singer struggling to find his identity and sound. Growing up in a poor section of Macon, GA wasn't easy and young Richard Wayne Penniman found himself on his own, singing in clubs before he was 17. However, he was a musical sponge, picking up vocal and performance tips from blues shouters Billy Wright and Roy Brown and some piano licks from the young Esquerita. He landed his first record contract with RCA Victor in late 1951 and cut 4 singles that didn't go anywhere for the major label. Then in early '53, Richard was on Don Robey's Peacock label where he didn't fare any better. But through all the disappointing record sales, Little Richard was building a style that would burst open when he cut "Tutti Frutti" for Specialty Records in September of 1955. Matt The Cat digs out Little Richard's long forgotten humble beginnings and spins them this week on the "Juke In The Back." This is truly the "soul that came before Rock n' Roll" with one of Rock n' Roll's TRUE pioneers.

1. Swanee River Boogie – Albert Ammons – Mercury 1947

2. Blue Light Boogie Pt 1 & 2 – Louis Jordan & His Tympani Five – Decca 1950

3. Every Hour – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1951

4. Taxi Blues – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1951

5. Thinkin’ ‘Bout My Mother – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1952

6. Get Rich Quick – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1952

7. Why Did You Leave Me – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1952

8. Ain’t Nothin’ Happenin’ – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1952

9. I Brought It All On Myself – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1952

10. Please Have Mercy On Me – Little Richard – RCA Victor 1952

11. Ain’t That Good News – Deuces Of Rhythm & Tempo Toppers, Lead: “Little Richard” – Peacock 1953

12. GREAT 78 – Fool At The Wheel – Deuces Of Rhythm & Tempo Toppers, Lead: “Little Richard” – Peacock 1953

13. Rice, Red Beans and Turnip Greens – The Tempo Toppers Featuring “Little Richard” – Peacock 1954

14. Always – The Tempo Toppers Featuring “Little Richard” – Peacock 1954

15. Little Richard’s Boogie – Little Richard w/ Johnny Otis’ Band – Peacock 1956

16. Tutti Frutti – Little Richard – Specialty 1955

17. After Hours – Erskine Hawkins – Bluebird 1946

Click below to listen to "Juke In The Back" show #176

http://www.mattthecat.com/JITB176.mp3

Re: Little Richard profile on Matt The Cat email newsletter

Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:07 am

Thanks for this post !

Little Richard is, of course, one of the all-time greats.

Hey, Elvis' first two albums included a total of FOUR songs that had been originally recorded - and had been big hits - by Richard only months before !

And what did Sam Phillips think of that ?