Off Topic Messages

Re: And that, as they say, is that!

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:04 am

poormadpeter wrote:And passed today. :)

Congrats

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:19 am

Congratulations, Peter, it must feel fantastic to be finally finished.

Are you going to celebrate?

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:26 am

Congratulations, Shane!

A virtual toast!

Robin

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:50 am

Mountain Misst wrote:Congratulations, Peter, it must feel fantastic to be finally finished.

Yeah, had a cup of tea! That's the way I roll!

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:09 am

mike edwards66 wrote:Congratulations on passing. How will it change your life ?

Well, eventually, the kind of career I never could have hoped for ten years ago.

Actually, I bumped into a lecturer today, just after the big event. Eight years ago, I was working in an office at the university and there was going to be a shake-up of admin roles that I didn't want to be part of. Various things had happened that had meant I was free of personal debt at this point and felt I was finally able to have my own crack at university life. I wrote to the lecturer at the time (who was admissions officer) and asked what my chances were of getting into the department as a BA student. The standard entry requirements were BBB at A-level. My A-levels from twelve years before were EE. The lecturer agreed to meet with me and asked to see a couple of pages of writing on film, which I did. He gave me an unconditional offer. Now, I had been working in admissions at the uni for some time and knew this was not just unusual but almost ridiculous. It simply wasn't done. But eight years later, I have a PhD. I have barely spoken to him since as our paths didn't cross for various reasons. But I took the opportunity today when I bumped into him to thank him for that decision eight years ago.

My life didn't change today, but it did change with his decision eight years ago. Without that gut instinct of his, and the willingness to judge the individual rather than a set of numbers, I'd still be working in that office. That moment of faith on his part was the best thing that could have happened to me, not just from a career point of view but a personal one. I've met and worked with people, and had my abilities recognised and championed by them, in a way that has totally transformed my view of life, people and politics. As someone who, aged 32 when I started my BA, was still suffering the after effects of bullying at school, and coming from a poor family background where people had barely passed O-levels let alone gone to uni, to have someone put that faith in you is literally life-changing.

The sad part of this story is, as we both acknowledged today, he would never be able to make that decision today thanks to guidelines and the importance of league tables etc. PhD material or not, I'd have been refused entry for a BA degree.

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:21 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Mountain Misst wrote:Congratulations, Peter, it must feel fantastic to be finally finished.

Yeah, had a cup of tea! That's the way I roll!

LOL, well done :D

Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:29 am

Well done. Congratulations!

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:39 am

Well done that man !

norrie

Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:42 am

rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:You better get an "A" ... ;-)

I may be the senior Phud. here.
rjm
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

I hope to God senior Phud means something different in your neck of the woods than it does here rjm!

norrie

Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:51 pm

norrie wrote:
rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

rjm

I hope to God senior Phud means something different in your neck of the woods than it does here rjm!

norrie

Oh no, not again! Aw, geez.

What on Earth could that mean?

{laughing till tears at the possibilities}

I don't have a CLUE!

rjm

Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:18 pm

rjm wrote:
norrie wrote:
rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

rjm

norrie

I don't have a CLUE!

rjm

Google it Robin,its the first answer you get
"From the urban dictionary"

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:42 am

Really well done :) , I hope you dunked a chocolate digestive or two into that cup of celebratory tea and I hope it was Yorkshire tea :P .

Alan.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:26 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Well, eventually, the kind of career I never could have hoped for ten years ago.

Actually, I bumped into a lecturer today, just after the big event. Eight years ago (edit)

A life changing moment, Shane (sorry I called you Peter) from a man who didn't need to be so generous, yet he was. A good man.

Thank you for sharing your story.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:42 am

Mountain Misst wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Actually, I bumped into a lecturer today, just after the big event. Eight years ago (edit)

A life changing moment, Shane (sorry I called you Peter) from a man who didn't need to be so generous, yet he was. A good man.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I think the name is out of the bag now, so to speak, so call me what you like :)

Yes, he was/is a good man, and I've been lucky to work with or been taught by quite a few over the last eight years who have gone out of their way to help or encourage me. I'm a lucky chap.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:35 am

Congratulations!

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:20 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Actually, I bumped into a lecturer today, just after the big event. Eight years ago, I was working in an office at the university and there was going to be a shake-up of admin roles that I didn't want to be part of. Various things had happened that had meant I was free of personal debt at this point and felt I was finally able to have my own crack at university life. I wrote to the lecturer at the time (who was admissions officer) and asked what my chances were of getting into the department as a BA student. The standard entry requirements were BBB at A-level. My A-levels from twelve years before were EE. The lecturer agreed to meet with me and asked to see a couple of pages of writing on film, which I did. He gave me an unconditional offer. Now, I had been working in admissions at the uni for some time and knew this was not just unusual but almost ridiculous. It simply wasn't done. But eight years later, I have a PhD. I have barely spoken to him since as our paths didn't cross for various reasons. But I took the opportunity today when I bumped into him to thank him for that decision eight years ago.

My life didn't change today, but it did change with his decision eight years ago. Without that gut instinct of his, and the willingness to judge the individual rather than a set of numbers, I'd still be working in that office. That moment of faith on his part was the best thing that could have happened to me, not just from a career point of view but a personal one. I've met and worked with people, and had my abilities recognised and championed by them, in a way that has totally transformed my view of life, people and politics. As someone who, aged 32 when I started my BA, was still suffering the after effects of bullying at school, and coming from a poor family background where people had barely passed O-levels let alone gone to uni, to have someone put that faith in you is literally life-changing.

The sad part of this story is, as we both acknowledged today, he would never be able to make that decision today thanks to guidelines and the importance of league tables etc. PhD material or not, I'd have been refused entry for a BA degree.

You made your own luck. Good story.

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:31 am

keninlincs wrote:
rjm wrote:
norrie wrote:
rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

rjm

norrie

I don't have a CLUE!

rjm

Google it Robin,its the first answer you get
"From the urban dictionary"

NO! NO! NO!

:smt005 :smt003

Honestly, in America, it's just a slang expression for someone who has a doctorate -- especially recently acquired. Or it WAS! Oh, so you're a {blank}. That's all it means, in my experience! :oops: :oops:

Look! Look! http://home.bway.net/lewis/phudbio.html

rjm