Off Topic Messages

Elvis linked to greatness

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 am

Elvis' past words here linked along with greats such as Mother Teresa, Mark Twain, and approximately 100 others.

I just like to read 'Great Quote' pages occasionally, and while reading through this perticular page I saw Elvis quoted not once, but quite a few times. The link is right here below.

No ground breaking post here. I didn't find a 'missing' July 31st 1969 press conference video :P as much as wish I did.
I just wanted to post this because it's nice to see our guy listed & acknowleged in such a link.

http://www.thelpa.com/lpa/quotes.html

Imagine all the other thought provoking quotes from him that many folks out there don't know he said, but may find very interesting.

Re: Elvis linked to greatness

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:28 am

1Sixstring wrote:Elvis' past words here linked along with greats such as Mother Teresa, Mark Twain, and approximately 100 others.

I just like to read 'Great Quote' pages occasionally, and while reading through this perticular page I saw Elvis quoted not once, but quite a few times. The link is right here below.

No ground breaking post here. I didn't find a 'missing' July 31st 1969 press conference video :P as much as wish I did.
I just wanted to post this because it's nice to see our guy listed & acknowleged in such a link.

Imagine all the other thought provoking quotes from him that many folks out there don't know he said, but may find very interesting.

The problem with that page is none of the quotes are attributed. And at least one of the three direct Elvis quotes is dubious, perhaps two of the three.

Still, I understand your appreciation for Presley having a firm place with other significant people in history.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:30 am

Kind of surprised they didn't include Elvis' well-known words that "the image is one thing, the human being is another".

Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
1Sixstring wrote:Elvis' past words here linked along with greats such as Mother Teresa, Mark Twain, and approximately 100 others.

The problem with that page is none of the quotes are attributed. And at least one of the three direct Elvis quotes is dubious, perhaps two of the three.

Still, I understand your appreciation for Presley having a firm place with other significant people in history.

Good call Doc!
One that I had never heard attributed to him before that threw me was the quote about "Adversity ...". Curiosity getting to me I googled the quote itself and four different pages with an average of 11 links per page (about 45 links) attributed that quote to Elvis. On the 5th Google page 46 links away I found the original source. http://www.quoteyard.com/adversity-is-s ... adversity/

One problem with that is if there misattributed in comments from him than that leads to credibility issues with other potential mis-attributed quotes to others on that same link of mine.

I wonder sometimes on many of these pages when they say "quote" what they mean to say is "These people were heard to say these words before" ... so they're basically quoting a quote. That's a shame they don't attribute original sources to these quotes because although it's nice to hear these people might have said these words before, but unfortunately a person could never know who actually owns the original quote without doing research. This internet can be an incredible resource but also a frustrating one due to this issue.

Thanks for the operation and pointing out though.
lovin' EP wrote:Kind of surprised they didn't include Elvis' well-known words that "the image is one thing, the human being is another".

I absolutely agree with you on this one. Such a simple sentence but so spot on... really towards anyone that is famous but certainly in his case. I always thought that was such a simple statement yet such a profound one.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:49 am

Please tell me the "quote" about 'judging a man by his one deed or action is like judging the ocean by a single wave' was really his? I LOVE that one, though it does sound like the Dali Lama .