Off Topic Messages

Re: Ali - Tyson - 2013 candids

Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:23 pm

jacob wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
jacob wrote:...Tyson was ,perhaps ,just as quick as Ali,puched harder...

All of Tyson's power and speed counted for nothing when he was in with the best of his era.
jacob wrote:Sonny Liston was a old man...

Go watch a few of Liston's fights [pre-Ali] and it should be clear as daylight what Ali achieved in his two fight demolition of him.

IMO Liston quit on both occasions,in the first fight because he knew he was going to get beat and in the second I believe he took a dive...

He certainly did... from a short chopping overhand right that he walked into.

phpBB [video]

jacob wrote:When Tyson was at his peak before the outside troubles got the better of him(1985-8) power and speed counted for at lot-it won him the fights!

elvisalisellers wrote:All of Tyson's power and speed counted for nothing when he was in with the best of his era.

Take note of key point.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:11 am

Tyson>Ali. To say that Ali would have beat Tyson is the same as to say that Pele was better than Maradona (soccer).

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:18 am

Its all pointless to surmise, they were the best of their respective eras, Tyson at his best had a great defence that gets overlooked, but he didn't face fighters of the class of Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman etc, I always felt he struggled against those who didn't fear him, who refused to be intimidated by him, all the afore mentioned fighters would most certainly been confident in facing him.

Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:10 pm

Last week I had the good fortune to speak to Leon Spinks and I asked him about Ali , and he said it was like getting hit by a truck

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:24 am

Some footage from the day [from Fox Sports’ Being: Mike Tyson docu-series].

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:33 am

jak wrote:
Eddie wrote:Its all pointless to surmise, they were the best of their respective eras, Tyson at his best had a great defence that gets overlooked, but he didn't face fighters of the class of Ali, Frazier, Norton, Foreman etc, I always felt he struggled against those who didn't fear him, who refused to be intimidated by him, all the afore mentioned fighters would most certainly been confident in facing him.

I think you nailed it perfectly. At one time I followed boxing fairly closely. So many times I felt Tyson had already won the fight before the first bell. You could just see it in his opponents eyes. Having lost their mental edge they just coudnt withstand that opening barrage Tyson delivered. Holyfield was the first guy I recall looking like he expected to win going in. He exuded confidence.

Tyson at 20 was awesome. But Ali at his best, was the best.

The question now is, can anyone beat Mayweather.

Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:37 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Yes, Manny can beat Floyd...but Floyd doesn't want to risk losing that zero.

Yep. It's still the fight everyone wants to happen, everyone except Floyd, that is.