Off Topic Messages

Delbert Belton, WWII Vet, Beaten To Death By Teens

Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:36 pm

UPDATE: Police officers “have arrested one suspect, a juvenile male, in connection to the beating death of an 88 year old man earlier this week,” the Spokane Police Department said in a statement on Twitter. The suspect is 16-year-old Demetruis Glenn. The other attacker is still at large.

Original story below:

A WWII veteran who fought at the Battle of Okinawa, where he took a bullet to the leg and continued fighting, was beaten to death by two teens Wednesday night.

Delbert Belton, 88, from Spokane, Wash., was pronounced dead Thursday morning, KHQ reported.

Two male teens pummeled Belton outside a pool hall in what police describe a random attack.

"There was no indication that he would have known these people prior to the assault," Spokane Police Major Crimes Detective Lieutenant Mark Griffiths said.

Belton, who friends affectionally called "Shorty," enjoyed playing pool and working on cars.

Belton was Ted Denison's best friend of 23 years, Denison said in an interview with KXLY.

"He was always there for me when I needed him," Denison said. "I thought of him more as a dad than I did a friend really."

Friend of Belton, Lillian Duncan, told The Spokesman-Review that the veteran was waiting in the parking lot for her so they could walk into the pool hall together.

“Anybody that didn’t get to know him missed out on a wonderful angel in their life," Duncan said.

Police are looking for two black male teens. One suspect was described as heavy set and wearing all black clothing. The other has been described as being about 6 feet tall and 150 pounds, and was wearing a silk do-rag. The Spokane Police Department is hoping the public can help track down the suspects based on video footage of the two.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Delbert Belton, WWII Vet, Beaten To Death By Teens

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:42 am

When are these hate crimes going to stop? Last week we had the hate crime killing of Christopher Lane and now this. This man fought for the freedoms and liberties of the individuals that beat him to death. I do not understand the mentality of these people. I am curious to see what our civil right leaders and President have to say about these.

RIP Christopher Lane and RIP Delbert Belton

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:47 am

Very tragic and sad.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:57 am

ranskal wrote:When are these hate crimes going to stop? Last week we had the hate crime killing of Christopher Lane and now this. This man fought for the freedoms and liberties of the individuals that beat him to death. I do not understand the mentality of these people. I am curious to see what our civil right leaders and President have to say about these.

Yes, where are Al Sharpton, Jessee Jackson, and Obama now.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:59 am

Two underage black thugs killing an elderly white veteran?

There's no PR mileage in that scenario for the usual suspects.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:20 am

memphisound wrote:
ranskal wrote:When are these hate crimes going to stop? Last week we had the hate crime killing of Christopher Lane and now this. This man fought for the freedoms and liberties of the individuals that beat him to death. I do not understand the mentality of these people. I am curious to see what our civil right leaders and President have to say about these.

Yes, where are Al Sharpton, Jessee [sic] Jackson, and Obama now.

OK, now we see why you posted this in the first place. It has nothing to do with what happened to Delbert Benton.

These codified posts that have been cropping up on FECC in recent times are really disheartening.

Elvis Presley's achievement, his music and his art, was inclusive, not exclusive.

Yet here we are in 2013, with crap like this. Very, very sad.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:23 am

This thread has been officially de-railed by hidden political agenda hoopla. That is sad.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:26 am

TCB-FAN wrote:This thread has been officially de-railed by hidden political agenda hoopla. That is sad.

Why make an inept comment like that?

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:

OK, now we see why you posted this in the first place. It has nothing to do with what happened to Delbert Benton.

These codified posts that have been cropping up on FECC in recent times are really disheartening.

Elvis Presley's achievement, his music and his art, was inclusive, not exclusive.

An elderly man, who fought for this country decades ago, a World War II Veteran, is beaten to death by a bunch of teenagers, and murdered for no reason at all. You would think it would be fitting if our United States Of America President made a comment about it or anything, for the family of this veteran, who died over a senseless act of violence.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:34 am

memphisound wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:

An elderly man, who fought for this country decades ago, a World War II Veteran, is beaten to death by a bunch of teenagers, and murdered for no reason at all. You would think it would be fitting if our United States Of America President made a comment about it or anything, for the family of this veteran, who died over a senseless act of violence.

First of all, this is not the point of your topic, as your previous comments make clear.

However, please do tell how many examples we have of Presidents Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan and Carter where they did the same thing for a similar tragic incident?

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 am

Mr. Belton was wounded in service to this once-great country in the Battle of Okinawa and was a Purple Heart recipient.

He lost his wife several years ago and his son is currently hospitalized battling cancer.

Elvis would have saluted this great man.

God bless his soul.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:39 am

Actually it was the point of this thread to show how someone could do such a horrible thing to some one a WWII Veteran, and then Ranskel posted

I am curious to see what our civil right leaders and President have to say about these.

And It made me wonder too, if they will comment on this! Thank you very much.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:46 am

memphisound wrote:Actually it was the point of this thread to show how someone could do such a horrible thing to some one a WWII Veteran ...

Don't agree.

But let's let everyone else read the comments made, and decide if there's a clear subtext or not.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:11 am

John: rather than resort to amateur theatrics and the usual SOP, it would be interesting for your readers to hear YOUR views on this horrible crime.

They're waiting...

Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
memphisound wrote:

My post had everything to do with Delbert and the unmentioned Christopher Lane. Delbert was a HERO of this country, and the circumstances of his killing are hideous. Our leaders had no problem commenting on another tragic killing, they should at least call out this behavior and recognize Delbert.

The death of Christopher Lane was a blatant hate crime that deserves the same treatment from our leaders. If they are not going to be consistent with what is right, why do it at all. By them doing what they are doing, they are just creating a divided amongst the people that stretches way beyond politics.

Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:09 am

The Lane case is a matter of controversy as to motive. In the Lane case, it was a multi-cultural group of alleged killers; one is white as the whale.

That case will be prosecuted with gusto. I don't understand lumping it in with this terrible incident.

Perhaps this was a robbery attempt; an older man may have been seen as having money on him. Apparently he didn't.

Men from their mid-years forward are often targeted by gang-bangers because they are thought to be carrying money.

If he was a black WWII vet, would the same people even care?

And there is no question this case will be prosecuted, so what is there to "protest"? Justice will be done.

That's all anyone ever asks. Unless you want to do . . . what, exactly?

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:02 pm

Regardless whether the old guy was white, black, green, blue, war veteran, homeless or any other tag placed on him. It is an absolutely disgusting crime on an old man. I hope they catch them and their co-horts soon and show them the full force of the law.
These evil B*****ds need to be removed from society asap.

Someone said in this thread "hate crime". Has this been mentioned as a "motive" in the news over in the US ?.