Off Topic Messages

Thank you for saying that Tom Petty.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:21 pm

At a live show in New York while reffering to his country roots Tom Petty was quoted as saying that current country music was 'bad rock with a fiddle'. From what I've heard he's getting some heat from opposing camps. Too bad, because I agree with him 100%!!!!

Some artists are for whatever reason, not real candid when it comes to criticizing contemporary music. Maybe they don't want to offend or lose anybody in their audience, but I love when people like Tom Petty are honest and up front when it comes to the obvious.

More here ----->>http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/tom-petty-slams-modern-country-as-bad-rock-with-a-fiddle

Re: Thank you for saying that Tom Petty.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:50 pm

intheghetto wrote:At a live show in New York while reffering to his country roots Tom Petty was quoted as saying that current country music was 'bad rock with a fiddle'. From what I've heard he's getting some heat from opposing camps. Too bad, because I agree with him 100%!!!!

Some artists are for whatever reason, not real candid when it comes to criticizing contemporary music. Maybe they don't want to offend or lose anybody in their audience, but I love when people like Tom Petty are honest and up front when it comes to the obvious.

More here ----->>http://www.savingcountrymusic.com/tom-petty-slams-modern-country-as-bad-rock-with-a-fiddle

Best part:

Tom Petty is the latest, fielding a slow lob right over the plate in an interview from Rolling Stone reporter Patrick Doyle posted today, and hitting it out of the park. Following up on an anti modern country rant Petty delivered from the stage of the Beacon Theater in New York City, the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer said in a story whose subtitle is “Singer also discusses songwriting and criticizes modern country music…”

Well, yeah I mean, I hate to generalize on a whole genre of music, but it does seem to be missing that magic element that it used to have. I’m sure there are people playing country that are doing it well, but they’re just not getting the attention that the shittier stuff gets. But that’s the way it always is, isn’t it?

But I hope that kind of swings around back to where it should be. But I don’t really see a George Jones or a Buck Owens or any anything that fresh coming up. I’m sure there must be somebody doing it, but most of that music reminds me of rock in the middle Eighties where it became incredibly generic and relied on videos. I don’t want to rail on about country because I don’t really know much about it, but that’s what it seems like to me.

Petty, whose music has always carried country influences despite being labeled as rock, spent a portion of his set at New York’s Beacon theater explaining his country roots after polishing off a version of The Grateful Dead’s “Friend of the Devil.” Petty said the country music he listened to was “not like it is today, like bad rock with a fiddle.” Then Petty and The Heartbreakers played Conway Twitty’s “The Image of Me.” It is a song he plays somewhat regularly live, and is included on his Live Anthology Box Set.

Wonder what Keith Urban thinks?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Chris Stapleton ? Kenny Chesney ? Darius Rucker ?

Who are these people ? Never heard of them before, not kidding.

I'm not a Tom Petty fan, but he's definitely a classy guy - just like Springsteen is. They know their business. And I think Petty is being restrained in his statement. But we should thank him, anyway.

The day when names like Wynn Stewart, Jimmy Bryant or Gene O'Quin are universally recognized as the great artists they were, then we will be able to start talking Darius Rucker.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:40 am

I also should mention that inthe last year I've made several trips to Nashville basically for fun. All of them had something to do with the old Nashville. Visiting the Country Music Hall of Fame last year to get the Studio B tour, coming back later in the year to see the Patsy Cline exhibit, and then returning again to see the recently opened Johnny Cash Museum. Walking down Broadway these days you would never know that the greats all once performed there.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:44 am

Tom Petty is not wrong on all counts, I grant you that. But I will say that I would bet his comments are not based on his listening to the country music genre on a day-to-day basis. The genre is not better than it used to be, or worse. It's different.

Never heard of Kenny Chesney? Seriously? Check the numbers that man has put up in the past ten years. Not knowing what he has done shows one's ignorance. Darius Rucker? He is the former lead singer of Hootie & The Blowfish who has crossed over into country music, and very successfully. If you listen to anything he has done in the past three years, you'd know what an outstanding artist he is.

I get that country music is the ugly step-child of most people who love music; and, it likely will always be that way. I used to reside in that camp myself. But trust me--and I am sure that you won't--there are many outstanding talents who call today's version of country music their home, and they are among the finest talents in the music business. Keith Urban being at, or near, the top of that list. It is no coincidence that so many "classic" rock artists are leaning towards todays country music genre to get their music heard.

Remember, not knowing who these people are--or the work they've done--does not automatically make them untalented. Open your ears, folks. Lots of great talent out there.

Having an opinion is one thing. Being informed is another.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:19 am

KHoots wrote:Tom Petty is not wrong on all counts, I grant you that. But I will say that I would bet his comments are not based on his listening to the country music genre on a day-to-day basis.

If you read the article, you would already know he qualified the extent of his knowledge of the 2013 country field.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:33 pm

KHoots wrote:Tom Petty is not wrong on all counts, I grant you that. But I will say that I would bet his comments are not based on his listening to the country music genre on a day-to-day basis. The genre is not better than it used to be, or worse. It's different.

Never heard of Kenny Chesney? Seriously? Check the numbers that man has put up in the past ten years. Not knowing what he has done shows one's ignorance. Darius Rucker? He is the former lead singer of Hootie & The Blowfish who has crossed over into country music, and very successfully. If you listen to anything he has done in the past three years, you'd know what an outstanding artist he is.

I get that country music is the ugly step-child of most people who love music; and, it likely will always be that way. I used to reside in that camp myself. But trust me--and I am sure that you won't--there are many outstanding talents who call today's version of country music their home, and they are among the finest talents in the music business. Keith Urban being at, or near, the top of that list. It is no coincidence that so many "classic" rock artists are leaning towards todays country music genre to get their music heard.

Remember, not knowing who these people are--or the work they've done--does not automatically make them untalented. Open your ears, folks. Lots of great talent out there.

Having an opinion is one thing. Being informed is another.

Thanks for your post, KHoots.

I'm not saying Chesney, and Rucker are bad or untalented, or whatever. I just don't know who they are, really.

To put it simply : I have my priorities. Life is so short, and I prefer to spend my free time listening to Wynn Stewart, or Jimmy Bryant, to name just two, than to anything they choose to label as country nowadays.

Does this make me an ignorant ? Probably yes, but I don't care. I chose it to be this way. There are people that don't even know they're ignorants, but they are.

The way I see it, culture, as an individual or collective experience, is / should be a continuous, accumulative thing. I mean, you can't fully understand what's happening today if you don't know what happened yesterday.

And I deeply hate this "kleenex culture" we're immersed here in the Western World. You use this thing today, and you throw it away tomorrow. Nothing seems to be of any value for anybody.

I started listening to music with Elvis and The Beatles, in the late seventies. I still like The Beatles, but thanks to Elvis I got to know other artists from the fifties, and this led me to search what happened before them, and so on. A continuous, logical, thing. You don't set to do this. You just do it, because it's interesting.

You say those people are very famous, or good, or whatever. That's fine with me. Now let's ask some of the people calling themselves country music fans who was Cliffie Stone. Or Chet Atkins. Or Hank Snow. And I'm not talking obscure names here. I bet they have no idea who they were.

And I really hate this thing. This is, for me, real ignorance.

As I said, life's too short, and we all have our own priorities. Also, I'm not here at FECC to waste my time with verbal discussions. I'm here because I love music, and I think this is a good place to share this love. That's all.

Everything else, I think it's just crap.

Thanks again, KHoots.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Mister Moon wrote:And I deeply hate this "kleenex culture" we're immersed here in the Western World. You use this thing today, and you throw it away tomorrow. Nothing seems to be of any value for anybody.

I started listening to music with Elvis and The Beatles, in the late seventies. I still like The Beatles, but thanks to Elvis I got to know other artists from the fifties, and this led me to search what happened before them, and so on. A continuous, logical, thing. You don't set to do this. You just do it, because it's interesting.

You say those people are very famous, or good, or whatever. That's fine with me. Now let's ask some of the people calling themselves country music fans who was Cliffie Stone. Or Chet Atkins. Or Hank Snow. And I'm not talking obscure names here. I bet they have no idea who they were.

And I really hate this thing. This is, for me, real ignorance.

As I said, life's too short, and we all have our own priorities. Also, I'm not here at FECC to waste my time with verbal discussions. I'm here because I love music, and I think this is a good place to share this love. That's all.

Everything else, I think it's just crap.

Thanks again, KHoots.

Wow, I couldn't agree more especially on the 'kleenex culture' angle, that's a great way to put it. In the last year I've been heavily involved in restoring phonographs and radios mostly from the post war era. I'm a rookie at this now but I've brought quite a few of these things back from the dead so far. All of these units are 50-60 years old, but now that I have them working they will most likely last another 50-60 years because they were built to do so. Can't say that about smart phones or any of this other crap that we're all attached to, can you? We've all been and continue to be fleeced. People accept, sometimes blindly, that in a year or two they'll have to spend another few hundred dollars to get a device that can run a current operating system. All of it is designed to literally be garbage and unfortunately that disposable mentality creeps into the society's collective conciousness. It affects how we address our lives and others around us. It's really f*cked up and I think also plays a huge part in how entertainment is produced and consumed. I think everybody knows it's a bunch of shallow crap but choose to ignore the fact. Most entertainment especially in music is built on references anyway. Whenever the media or publicist can point out how for example somebody is like Elvis, Diana Ross, Stevie Nicks or whatever, they do so and I think the performers want it that way. By borrowing from the credibilty from the *real* legends, it seems to me they think they posses the same and they want their audiences to believe that. In other words: no originality and alot of copying. Then on top of that some of these dweebs think they deserve a Grammy for what they've done. Are you kidding?

As for country music I'm a huge fan of Hank Snow, Ernest Tubb, Johnny Cash, Loretta Lynn and many others from that era. The era when the artists had a little more freedom and weren't bound by what a focus group or corporation dictated in terms of an audience. These were real people, from real places with real talent and originality. Ernest Tubb was great because basically he couldn't sing, but he had 'something' that people liked. Would they accept anybody like him on 'American Idol'? Please,after being judge by the panel of 'artists', he would be laughed off the set.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:29 pm

This is off topic, but here's a cool story by Petty, related to Elvis.

Following George Harrison's death in November 2001, British magazine "Mojo" devoted the front cover and eight pages of tribute to the departed ex-Beatle in its January 2002 issue.

One of the writings was by Tom Petty, who was a friend of George's, and had collaborated with him in The Traveling Wilbury's project.

Here's an Elvis-related excerpt :

"We spent a lot of time at his house over the years. He's really just a sweetheart. I don't want to go on or I'll be embarrassed. He did do a great thing one night, where he was cleaning out his living room, some closets or something. His wife Olivia said, 'George, what do I do with this ?'. He walked down the hall and said, 'You like Elvis, don't you ?' and I say, 'Yeah'.

So he throws me this leather holster and it's Elvis's holster. Elvis had given it to The Beatles one night and George goes, 'Do you want it ? It's signed and everything'. I said, 'You don't want this ?'. He's like, 'I gotta get all this stuff out of here'. He gave me the holster. That meant a lot to me".