Off Topic Messages

2013 - 2014 Premier League

Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:24 am

It all starts again this Saturday and, inspired by a brief encounter with Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway this Tuesday (at first I thought he was a tramp, this little guy buying rizla and ting wearing a tracksuit when all I wanted to do was top up my Oyster; nice guy, wished him luck for the year ahead) I thought I'd find out what my fellow Elvis fans predictions are.

Looking at last season's top sides, Man City have spent a lot over the summer and I think they're my favourites for the title.

It will be intriguing to see how Jose's return to Chelsea pans out. They say you should never go back with an ex and this reunion could go either way. They do need a new striker, in my opinion, and I am surprised they haven't been linked with Suarez.

How will Moyes cope with the Utd job? I reckon he will do well, if given time. For me, Fergie retired at the right time and I think they need to make a big signing in midfield or they might just be off the pace this year.

Arsenal have the money, but so far haven't spent it so as things stand I think it will be tough for them to qualify for the Champions League this year. Spurs will break back into the top four this season and could even mount a challenge for the title, as they have made a couple of great signings, especially if they hang on to Bale for one last campaign.

As for my beloved Everton - I've been impressed with how Martinez has settled into the club so far, but the real first test comes on Saturday. I'm looking forward to seeing Everton play a more attacking style but am a bit nervous over our defence, as that has never been Martinez's strong point with previous teams. We'll be there or thereabouts again this time (and ahead of Liverpool for the third season in succession!).

At the other end, I think it will probably be as predictable as the top. Hull and Palace (sorry Ian!) will struggle. It's great to have Palace back in the top league after a few years away and I am looking forward to November 9th when they welcome Everton to Selhurst Park. I'm hoping to go along to this match and being the first Snelgrove to attend a game there since 1948!

What do others think? Any surprises?

Re: 2013 - 2014 Premier League

Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Unless Moyes makes a couple of big signings; the title will be Man City's or Chelsea's.
Man Utd need to strengthen their central midfield- Fabregas would have been ideal, Modric seems to be a target now . Another area they will have to fix is the Rooney saga, personally I would chase him out after his shenanigans after his 2nd transfer request in 3 years!! If he stays, Moyes needs to be sure Rooneys committed to the club. Lewandowski would be an ideal replacement.(still rumours going around about Ronaldo, he was in Manchester on Tuesday apparently). United will not win the title without at least 2 big name signings coming in.
I think Arsenal and Spurs will again be fighting for 4th position, with Liverpool(with Suarez) and Everton behind them.

The Scottish Premiership title is FAR harder to call, but I'm going out on a limb here and pick Celtic :smt002

Re: 2013 - 2014 Premier League

Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:20 am

As a Barcelona fan, i didnt want Mourinho to leave R. Madrid. Now let's hope Chelsea loses all the games and more ... :D