England V Scotland

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

England V Scotland

Post by norrie »

Today is the first time Scotland has played against the "auld enemy" in 14 years.I was brought up on this fixture when we played each other every year in the Home Internationals and it was the game that we Scottish folk looked forward to especially the Wembley fixture.It was a right of passage for every Scottish football fan to make the bi-annual trip to London and was seen as a pilgrimage.I made it myself in 1986 when I was 19 and had a great time in Trafalgar Square with thousands of drunk Scots.We lost though I was so pissed I thought we had won 1-0 as the only thing I remember about the game was going mental when we scored.The game has always meant more to us Scots than the English and it seems like that is the case for todays game as well.
Anyways my question is to my English friends here-Do you care about this game or is it just another friendly ?

norrie

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Re: England V Scotland

Post by TJ »

I think you are right that it does mean more to Scots, but there is some added spice with you guys being direct neighbours. I remember watching the first of the two-leg Euro qualifiers in 1999 in a very, very busy and loud pub. The second game I don't remember so well (maybe I blacked it out because you won ;-)).

Let's hope for an entertaining game and no injuries ahead of the new season.

daylon
Registered for: 12 years 9 months

Post by daylon »

As long as tonights score doesn't mirror last nights U-21 result..........wtf happened there??

Been to a few of these games before they were banned. To be honest they had to be binned. I saw some of the trouble away from the stadium over a few games and it wasn't nice. Times have changed now so there could be an opportunity to bring them back on an annual basis. As long as the reptiles from both sides stay way.

My prediction for tonight: England-0 Scotland-4 :smt002

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

may the best team win
now that's diplomatic

-instagram kenh1964

memphisto
Registered for: 15 years 4 months

Post by memphisto »

daylon wrote:As long as tonights score doesn't mirror last nights U-21 result..........wtf happened there??

Been to a few of these games before they were banned. To be honest they had to be binned. I saw some of the trouble away from the stadium over a few games and it wasn't nice. Times have changed now so there could be an opportunity to bring them back on an annual basis. As long as the reptiles from both sides stay way.

My prediction for tonight: England-0 Scotland-4 :smt002
You are being awfully optimistic, I expect Scotland to lose by the odd goal...

As for the under 21s. pffft, did they put out the under 12s instead

Chad Gates
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by Chad Gates »

keninlincs wrote:may the best team win
now that's diplomatic
I`m with Ken on this, It doesn`t matter to me which team wins as long as England don`t lose :P .

Alan.

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Scotland 2-1

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

Topic author
norrie

Post by norrie »

Aw well England win 3-2 but a good entertaining game much better than most boring friendlies.Scotland a bit unlucky losing the first goal when down to 10 men but poor defending for the other two.Kenny Millars goal a cracker for Scotland.I think Joe Hart must have had Head & Shoulders on his hands for the first though.I hope this fixture can become a regular maybe not every year but a bi-annual event might work.

norrie

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

Great first half from scotland.england bossed the second half, 2 poor goals lost by set pieces from scotland and they never looked like gettin back in to the game.england deserved there victory !!!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

TJ
Registered for: 19 years 10 months

Post by TJ »

It was more entertaining than I expected. England did deserve the win as they created more and ultimately scored more, but Scotland always looked like they might nick something on the break and did defend really well for most of the game.

Only real irritation from an England perspective was that the linesman probably cost England a goal towards the end of the first half when he wrongly flagged Rooney as offside. It wasn't even close to being offside. Best moment was the 31-year-old Lambert getting a goal with his first ever touch as an England player. Had to feel happy for the chap.

londonflash

Post by londonflash »

It definitely meant more to the Scots.

On my side of the office, of five football fans no one watched the game, me included.

Great story about Lambert. He deserved this.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Good result for England

-instagram kenh1964

Topic author
norrie

Post by norrie »

TJ wrote
Best moment was the 31-year-old Lambert getting a goal with his first ever touch as an England player. Had to feel happy for the chap

Happy certainly wasn't the emotion I was feeling at the time !

norrie

rocknroller

Post by rocknroller »

norrie wrote:TJ wrote
Best moment was the 31-year-old Lambert getting a goal with his first ever touch as an England player. Had to feel happy for the chap

Happy certainly wasn't the emotion I was feeling at the time !

norrie

:lol: