Off Topic Messages

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.


Really? Well that is a strange response considering over the years i have been to the Gay Pride day at Brighton a couple of times and been in a number of gay pubs and clubs with my friends.


At which points they were all advertising their sexuality, were they not?


Yes which i don't have a problem with, but your saying that i don't want to be reminded of the fact that they are gay which is ridiculous.
As for me being in gay pubs or clubs, my girlfriend has gay friends and now and then we go out to those places.

You seem to be a very confused man. You want to be treated as a straight person but then again you want to be isolated from straight people because you are gay. :?


Sorry, but considering you say you don't want to be reminded that people are gay, and yet go to gay pubs and pride with them, it seems to me that you're the one who is confused.


Not really, i just treat everyone the same, regardless if they are gay or not and i certainly wouldn't stop myself going to an event, pub or club if there happens to be mostly gay people there which is what you wrote.

What annoys me are people like you who want to be treated the same as straight people but also want to be isolated into a certain group just cause you are gay.


No-one said I wanted to be isolated into a certain group at all, but I do expect to be treated the same as straight people but, at the same time, I do not wish to have to pretend I am straight in order for that to happen.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm not much for words, but here are my views......


1) The Olympics are for EVERYONE

2) Live And Let Live


:smt023 :smt023

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:11 pm

Elfan wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?


Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Each and every thing you do each day is advertising the fact you are straight. The only reason you take so much notice of someone such as myself talking about something related to homosexuality is because very few people do it - they basically pretend to be straight or, hold back any clue as to who they are. You think you are doing that, but the above list shows that is not the case. If I held hands with my partner in public and you saw me I would be "advertising" the fact I was gay. If I mentioned my partner over lunch at work, you would say I was "advertising" the fact I was gay. And yet you do those things all the time.

What's more, if I did any of the above in Russia, I would be arrested.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:07 pm

We should boycott all Olympics because they've become a gigantic money-sucking machine with little to do with the excellence of athletics.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:31 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Most of the above.
When I mentioned advertising the fact I was thinking more along the lines of gay pride marches etc. What's that all about?
Anyway, I said what I wanted to say and I don't want to get into a pointless debate about it because you have your views and I have mine.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:00 pm

Elfan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Most of the above.
When I mentioned advertising the fact I was thinking more along the lines of gay pride marches etc. What's that all about?
Anyway, I said what I wanted to say and I don't want to get into a pointless debate about it because you have your views and I have mine.


The first gay pride march occurred after the Stonewall riots, the night in 1969 when gays and lesbians finally stood up to the police after a series of raids in Greenwich Village. The first march was 1 year to the day, in order to commemorate the uprising. The point of the march was to demonstrate for equal rights and decriminalisation in the law. They have progressed from that (or digressed in many ways) since then. I must admit there is one in my city now, and I cringe each year as it comes round. I agree that pride marches are not the place to flaunt homosexuality. Use them for political means, by all means, to call for equal marriage, or to create following to change laws in other countries - but they are not the place (in my own opinion) for a parade of men in thongs and gas masks. That has never made sense to me - on the one hand gay men don't want to be viewed purely on what they do in the bedroom, and yet some insist on flaunting that at gay pride. Personally, I think that's a total insult to the people who founded the first marches, extremely brave individuals who stood up to authority and were willing to declare what they believed in.

That said, gay marches around the world are at different stages. The gay pride in Russia, for example, is simply a peaceful, relatively quiet walk through with banners demanding equal rights. I see nothing wrong with that. The Russians now see that as propaganda and gay pride has been banned in Russia for 100 years (theoretically). All societies or clubs that fight for equal rights for gays and lesbians have now been banned, too. Books and films depicting gay relationships are now viewed as pornography, and also banned. In fact, despite the law stating it has banned propaganda, it actually has resulted in the banning of anyone showing any sign that they are homosexual in public - such actions (such as those you say you do regularly) are propaganda according to the Russian officials.

4 gay Dutch tourists were arrested at the end of July and were only spared trial due to "lack of evidence". In interrogation, they were accused of being Dutch spies sent to Russia in order to turn straight men gay (yes, Putin is, of course, sane).

Meanwhile, an American friend of mine has stated that his two Russian friends (a couple) have vanished - no friends or family have heard from them in ten days. The Russian police are not looking into any gay-related hate crime (but taking part in quite a few it seems), and there appears to be a policy in place where men who rape lesbians are no longer prosecuted as it is viewed (officially or unofficially) as "corrective rape".

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:30 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Elfan wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?


Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Each and every thing you do each day is advertising the fact you are straight. The only reason you take so much notice of someone such as myself talking about something related to homosexuality is because very few people do it - they basically pretend to be straight or, hold back any clue as to who they are. You think you are doing that, but the above list shows that is not the case. If I held hands with my partner in public and you saw me I would be "advertising" the fact I was gay. If I mentioned my partner over lunch at work, you would say I was "advertising" the fact I was gay. And yet you do those things all the time.

What's more, if I did any of the above in Russia, I would be arrested.


No you wouldn't be arrested cause Homosexuality has been legal in Russia for over 20 years.

Sounds to me that you would do most of those things above just to get a reaction rather than anything else.

What's your thought on the Gay Games then?

If you want Gay men to be treated the same as straight men then im assuming that you would want the Gay Games banned as there would be no need for it.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:39 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Elfan wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?


Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Each and every thing you do each day is advertising the fact you are straight. The only reason you take so much notice of someone such as myself talking about something related to homosexuality is because very few people do it - they basically pretend to be straight or, hold back any clue as to who they are. You think you are doing that, but the above list shows that is not the case. If I held hands with my partner in public and you saw me I would be "advertising" the fact I was gay. If I mentioned my partner over lunch at work, you would say I was "advertising" the fact I was gay. And yet you do those things all the time.

What's more, if I did any of the above in Russia, I would be arrested.


No you wouldn't be arrested cause Homosexuality has been legal in Russia for over 20 years.

Sounds to me that you would do most of those things above just to get a reaction rather than anything else.

What's your thought on the Gay Games then?

If you want Gay men to be treated the same as straight men then im assuming that you would want the Gay Games banned as there would be no need for it.


So, when you do those things do you do them to get a reaction? Or is it just gay men who shouldn't be allowed to do such things in case people think they are making a spectacle. You are simply reiterating the idea that you are happy to tolerate, providing no-one reminds you we exist. I see no reason why a straight couple holding hands in the street should be OK in your book, and yet a gay couple doing it is after a reaction? Do you realise how stupid and bigoted that sounds?

Yes, you would be arrested in Russia now for doing those things as the government is classing all signs of public affection between gays and lesbians as a form of propaganda. Do you not read the news anywhere?!

And, no I don't agree with the gay games; they shouldn't have to take place. That said, the reason for the gay games is that most homosexuals feel unable to be "out" and part of a regular sports team. It appears that the only place a gay athlete feels able to be themselves within sport is around other gay athletes. The fact that footballer Robbie Rogers felt it was impossible to come out (even to his family) and play football at professional level in the UK demonstrates this.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Elfan wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?


Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Each and every thing you do each day is advertising the fact you are straight. The only reason you take so much notice of someone such as myself talking about something related to homosexuality is because very few people do it - they basically pretend to be straight or, hold back any clue as to who they are. You think you are doing that, but the above list shows that is not the case. If I held hands with my partner in public and you saw me I would be "advertising" the fact I was gay. If I mentioned my partner over lunch at work, you would say I was "advertising" the fact I was gay. And yet you do those things all the time.

What's more, if I did any of the above in Russia, I would be arrested.


No you wouldn't be arrested cause Homosexuality has been legal in Russia for over 20 years.

Sounds to me that you would do most of those things above just to get a reaction rather than anything else.

What's your thought on the Gay Games then?

If you want Gay men to be treated the same as straight men then im assuming that you would want the Gay Games banned as there would be no need for it.


So, when you do those things do you do them to get a reaction? Or is it just gay men who shouldn't be allowed to do such things in case people think they are making a spectacle. You are simply reiterating the idea that you are happy to tolerate, providing no-one reminds you we exist. I see no reason why a straight couple holding hands in the street should be OK in your book, and yet a gay couple doing it is after a reaction? Do you realise how stupid and bigoted that sounds?

Yes, you would be arrested in Russia now for doing those things as the government is classing all signs of public affection between gays and lesbians as a form of propaganda. Do you not read the news anywhere?!

And, no I don't agree with the gay games; they shouldn't have to take place. That said, the reason for the gay games is that most homosexuals feel unable to be "out" and part of a regular sports team. It appears that the only place a gay athlete feels able to be themselves within sport is around other gay athletes. The fact that footballer Robbie Rogers felt it was impossible to come out (even to his family) and play football at professional level in the UK demonstrates this.


Why don't you start a new topic entitled 'Should we boycott the Gay Games'?

As for the Winter Olympics, i don't see what all the fuss is about, no one is really gonna watch it anyway.

Also, as for Stephen Fry calling for a boycott, is he gonna stop ordering from Chinese Takeaways cause of China's laws on gay people? I very much doubt it. :lol:

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:48 am

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Elfan wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?


Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Each and every thing you do each day is advertising the fact you are straight. The only reason you take so much notice of someone such as myself talking about something related to homosexuality is because very few people do it - they basically pretend to be straight or, hold back any clue as to who they are. You think you are doing that, but the above list shows that is not the case. If I held hands with my partner in public and you saw me I would be "advertising" the fact I was gay. If I mentioned my partner over lunch at work, you would say I was "advertising" the fact I was gay. And yet you do those things all the time.

What's more, if I did any of the above in Russia, I would be arrested.


No you wouldn't be arrested cause Homosexuality has been legal in Russia for over 20 years.

Sounds to me that you would do most of those things above just to get a reaction rather than anything else.

What's your thought on the Gay Games then?

If you want Gay men to be treated the same as straight men then im assuming that you would want the Gay Games banned as there would be no need for it.


So, when you do those things do you do them to get a reaction? Or is it just gay men who shouldn't be allowed to do such things in case people think they are making a spectacle. You are simply reiterating the idea that you are happy to tolerate, providing no-one reminds you we exist. I see no reason why a straight couple holding hands in the street should be OK in your book, and yet a gay couple doing it is after a reaction? Do you realise how stupid and bigoted that sounds?

Yes, you would be arrested in Russia now for doing those things as the government is classing all signs of public affection between gays and lesbians as a form of propaganda. Do you not read the news anywhere?!

And, no I don't agree with the gay games; they shouldn't have to take place. That said, the reason for the gay games is that most homosexuals feel unable to be "out" and part of a regular sports team. It appears that the only place a gay athlete feels able to be themselves within sport is around other gay athletes. The fact that footballer Robbie Rogers felt it was impossible to come out (even to his family) and play football at professional level in the UK demonstrates this.


Why don't you start a new topic entitled 'Should we boycott the Gay Games'?

As for the Winter Olympics, i don't see what all the fuss is about, no one is really gonna watch it anyway.

Also, as for Stephen Fry calling for a boycott, is he gonna stop ordering from Chinese Takeaways cause of China's laws on gay people? I very much doubt it. :lol:


As far as I'm aware, most people do not order Chinese takeaways from China. I'm sure your gay friends are very proud to have you in their lives, and that you are so supportive. They must be very lucky people.

Meanwhile there is no reason to boycott the gay games. While I wish there were no need for them, they are open to everyone, gay or straight, young or old, elite athlete or amateur. Perhaps you should read about what you are talking about before being flippant:

http://gaygames.org/wp/about-the-fgg/about-the-federation/participation-inclusion-and-personal-best/

I'm sure if London win their bid for the 10th gay games, there will be a place for you on the team.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:09 am

Bodie wrote:[Why don't you start a new topic entitled 'Should we boycott the Gay Games'?

Why don't peter just have his own gay section here at FECC since it seems to be his only interest here at the worlds #1 Elvis Presley forum? :roll:

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:46 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.


Really? Well that is a strange response considering over the years i have been to the Gay Pride day at Brighton a couple of times and been in a number of gay pubs and clubs with my friends.


At which points they were all advertising their sexuality, were they not?


Yes which i don't have a problem with, but your saying that i don't want to be reminded of the fact that they are gay which is ridiculous.
As for me being in gay pubs or clubs, my girlfriend has gay friends and now and then we go out to those places.

You seem to be a very confused man. You want to be treated as a straight person but then again you want to be isolated from straight people because you are gay. :?


Sorry, but considering you say you don't want to be reminded that people are gay, and yet go to gay pubs and pride with them, it seems to me that you're the one who is confused.


Not really, i just treat everyone the same, regardless if they are gay or not and i certainly wouldn't stop myself going to an event, pub or club if there happens to be mostly gay people there which is what you wrote.

What annoys me are people like you who want to be treated the same as straight people but also want to be isolated into a certain group just cause you are gay.


No-one said I wanted to be isolated into a certain group at all, but I do expect to be treated the same as straight people but, at the same time, I do not wish to have to pretend I am straight in order for that to happen.


It's the old "Identity Politics" argument. The argument debates strong group identification vs. apparent assimilation with the mainstream. That goes back quite a while, but I guess it's not settled. It's an argument that is really too heavy, perhaps, for a music forum. Whole forests have been felled over (books about) identity politics.

rjm


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:55 pm

promiseland wrote:
Bodie wrote:[Why don't you start a new topic entitled 'Should we boycott the Gay Games'?

Why don't peter just have his own gay section here at FECC since it seems to be his only interest here at the worlds #1 Elvis Presley forum? :roll:


I repeat from earlier, I have mentioned my sexuality in 12 out of the 1500 topics I have contributed to.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:33 pm

I never mentioned but let's do it once and for all: I'm heterosexual. :lol:

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:01 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Yes, you would be arrested in Russia now for doing those things as the government is classing all signs of public affection between gays and lesbians as a form of propaganda. Do you not read the news anywhere?


I am sorry to interrupt your dreams but this is untrue. I work in a pretty big office. Some of my colleagues are open gays and lesbians. They do not hesitate to show their affection for each other on public. They have never been punished for that. On the other hand I do know a straight couple that had been brought to the police station for vulgar behavior.

Still I would be rather cautious showing any affection to my partner if I were a gay. Sochi is located closely to Caucasia and there may be quite a few
Muslims watching the Games. As you may know only straight relationship is permitted within this religion and they do get aggressive from time to time.

You could have heard of Michael Bulgakov - a Russian writer who is most well known for his novel The Master and Margret (the book actually influenced Mick Jagger to write Sympathy for the Devil). He is also the author of a great book entitled A Dog's Heart. The book has been prohibited until 1987 because it contains lambent humor over the Soviet government. Anyway, there is a saying in this book that is a stable statement these days in my country, it sounds something like this: "Never read Soviet newspapers prior having your dinner". From what I understand you should not watch the type of news they are showing at your home. I wouldn't be surprised if they also say that there a bears walking on the streets in Moscow. Don't believe in everything that's being said or written.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:21 pm

Mister Mike wrote:We should boycott all Olympics because they've become a gigantic money-sucking machine with little to do with the excellence of athletics.

Interesting.

Do you know if it's a gay money-sucking machine or not?

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:08 pm

Russian fan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Yes, you would be arrested in Russia now for doing those things as the government is classing all signs of public affection between gays and lesbians as a form of propaganda. Do you not read the news anywhere?


I am sorry to interrupt your dreams but this is untrue. I work in a pretty big office. Some of my colleagues are open gays and lesbians. They do not hesitate to show their affection for each other on public. They have never been punished for that. On the other hand I do know a straight couple that had been brought to the police station for vulgar behavior.

Still I would be rather cautious showing any affection to my partner if I were a gay. Sochi is located closely to Caucasia and there may be quite a few
Muslims watching the Games. As you may know only straight relationship is permitted within this religion and they do get aggressive from time to time.

You could have heard of Michael Bulgakov - a Russian writer who is most well known for his novel The Master and Margret (the book actually influenced Mick Jagger to write Sympathy for the Devil). He is also the author of a great book entitled A Dog's Heart. The book has been prohibited until 1987 because it contains lambent humor over the Soviet government. Anyway, there is a saying in this book that is a stable statement these days in my country, it sounds something like this: "Never read Soviet newspapers prior having your dinner". From what I understand you should not watch the type of news they are showing at your home. I wouldn't be surprised if they also say that there a bears walking on the streets in Moscow. Don't believe in everything that's being said or written.


No, you are simply turning the blame onto Muslims now (can they do nothing right?). The news out of Russian from both news agencies and gays and lesbians themselves is exactly the situation I have been talking about. I don't believe the Russian political propaganda even though you might.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 pm

poormadpeter wrote:No, you are simply turning the blame onto Muslims now (can they do nothing right?).

I should have know, seems like a troll has been detected. Still I will answer you.

I didn't blame Muslims. I have only said that they may get offended by seeing gays and lesbians showing affection for each other on the streets. And believe me that the reaction of the Muslim Russians would be less friendly than the one you would get from most orthodox Russians.
poormadpeter wrote:The news out of Russian from both news agencies and gays and lesbians themselves is exactly the situation I have been talking about. I don't believe the Russian political propaganda even though you might.

I don't believe Russian political propaganda either. For this particular reason I do not watch TV and I do not read any of the printable newspapers. But somehow I manage to see and judge what I actually do see with my own pair of eyes and what I hear from people around me. I prefer make my own judgments based on the information I gather rather than believe anybodies propaganda.

If you prefer to believe the anti-Russian propaganda you get from your journalists - that's your choice. But keep in mind that in this case you're no better than the ones you try to blame.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:57 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Russian fan wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Yes, you would be arrested in Russia now for doing those things as the government is classing all signs of public affection between gays and lesbians as a form of propaganda. Do you not read the news anywhere?


I am sorry to interrupt your dreams but this is untrue. I work in a pretty big office. Some of my colleagues are open gays and lesbians. They do not hesitate to show their affection for each other on public. They have never been punished for that. On the other hand I do know a straight couple that had been brought to the police station for vulgar behavior.

Still I would be rather cautious showing any affection to my partner if I were a gay. Sochi is located closely to Caucasia and there may be quite a few
Muslims watching the Games. As you may know only straight relationship is permitted within this religion and they do get aggressive from time to time.

You could have heard of Michael Bulgakov - a Russian writer who is most well known for his novel The Master and Margret (the book actually influenced Mick Jagger to write Sympathy for the Devil). He is also the author of a great book entitled A Dog's Heart. The book has been prohibited until 1987 because it contains lambent humor over the Soviet government. Anyway, there is a saying in this book that is a stable statement these days in my country, it sounds something like this: "Never read Soviet newspapers prior having your dinner". From what I understand you should not watch the type of news they are showing at your home. I wouldn't be surprised if they also say that there a bears walking on the streets in Moscow. Don't believe in everything that's being said or written.


No, you are simply turning the blame onto Muslims now (can they do nothing right?). The news out of Russian from both news agencies and gays and lesbians themselves is exactly the situation I have been talking about. I don't believe the Russian political propaganda even though you might.


Maybe you can do yourself some good by actually learning something from what Yuri is saying and take your head out of the sand.

Yuri seems quite an intelligent member and if anyone is gonna give the best reply to this topic then its him.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:No, you are simply turning the blame onto Muslims now (can they do nothing right?).


Maybe you should try kissing your partner outside a mosque. You will quickly find out how muslims feel about your sexuality then. I'm scratching my head as to why you are defending here one of the world's most homophobic groups of people.

As Russian Fan lives in Russia I would say he is probably better placed than you to comment upon Russia's laws.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:28 pm

The people I believe are the gay men and women of Russia, and the tourists that have been arrested by Russia because of their sexuality, and the images that have appeared online from reputable sources. You can pretend the evidence doesn't exist, but it does, and it's there for all to see. But most would rather simply turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:01 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Elfan wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?


Elfan, you think we are advertising the fact simply because we are open about the fact we are gay, in the same way you are, no doubt, open about being straight. perhaps you would do me the service of telling me which of the following you have done in public within the last year:

Held hands with your partner?
Worn a wedding/engagement ring?
Kissed your partner (even a peck)?
Gone to dinner with your partner?
Gone to the cinema/theatre with your partner?
Gone shopping with your partner?
Mentioned that you have a partner?
Touched your partners hair, face, shoulder?
Said "I love you" or similar phrase?
Talked about your partner with work colleagues?

Each and every thing you do each day is advertising the fact you are straight. The only reason you take so much notice of someone such as myself talking about something related to homosexuality is because very few people do it - they basically pretend to be straight or, hold back any clue as to who they are. You think you are doing that, but the above list shows that is not the case. If I held hands with my partner in public and you saw me I would be "advertising" the fact I was gay. If I mentioned my partner over lunch at work, you would say I was "advertising" the fact I was gay. And yet you do those things all the time.

What's more, if I did any of the above in Russia, I would be arrested.


No you wouldn't be arrested cause Homosexuality has been legal in Russia for over 20 years.

Sounds to me that you would do most of those things above just to get a reaction rather than anything else.

What's your thought on the Gay Games then?

If you want Gay men to be treated the same as straight men then im assuming that you would want the Gay Games banned as there would be no need for it.


So, when you do those things do you do them to get a reaction? Or is it just gay men who shouldn't be allowed to do such things in case people think they are making a spectacle. You are simply reiterating the idea that you are happy to tolerate, providing no-one reminds you we exist. I see no reason why a straight couple holding hands in the street should be OK in your book, and yet a gay couple doing it is after a reaction? Do you realise how stupid and bigoted that sounds?

Yes, you would be arrested in Russia now for doing those things as the government is classing all signs of public affection between gays and lesbians as a form of propaganda. Do you not read the news anywhere?!

And, no I don't agree with the gay games; they shouldn't have to take place. That said, the reason for the gay games is that most homosexuals feel unable to be "out" and part of a regular sports team. It appears that the only place a gay athlete feels able to be themselves within sport is around other gay athletes. The fact that footballer Robbie Rogers felt it was impossible to come out (even to his family) and play football at professional level in the UK demonstrates this.


Why don't you start a new topic entitled 'Should we boycott the Gay Games'?

As for the Winter Olympics, i don't see what all the fuss is about, no one is really gonna watch it anyway.

Also, as for Stephen Fry calling for a boycott, is he gonna stop ordering from Chinese Takeaways cause of China's laws on gay people? I very much doubt it. :lol:


It's also worth mentioning that China legalised homosexuality in the 1990s. While it is frowned upon by the more conservative elements of society, it is perfectly legal in China. Outward affection between gays and lesbians in public is not illegal either, and demonstrations in favour of equality are also legal. Considering this is a county that only legalised homosexuality in 1997, equality is moving forward considerably quicker there than it did here following decriminalisation.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:15 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The people I believe are the gay men and women of Russia, and the tourists that have been arrested by Russia because of their sexuality, and the images that have appeared online from reputable sources. You can pretend the evidence doesn't exist, but it does, and it's there for all to see. But most would rather simply turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist.


So what have you actually done about it other than post a topic about the subject on an Elvis forum?

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:11 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The people I believe are the gay men and women of Russia, and the tourists that have been arrested by Russia because of their sexuality, and the images that have appeared online from reputable sources. You can pretend the evidence doesn't exist, but it does, and it's there for all to see. But most would rather simply turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist.


So what have you actually done about it other than post a topic about the subject on an Elvis forum?


A damn sight more than you ever will.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:21 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The people I believe are the gay men and women of Russia, and the tourists that have been arrested by Russia because of their sexuality, and the images that have appeared online from reputable sources. You can pretend the evidence doesn't exist, but it does, and it's there for all to see. But most would rather simply turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist.


So what have you actually done about it other than post a topic about the subject on an Elvis forum?


A damn sight more than you ever will.


The only thing you have done is moan about it on here which really isn't gonna do anything unless some Government Officials from Russia are members on here and tell their comrades' Hey guys, we better change the anti-gay laws in our country cause there is an Elvis fan on the FECC forum who is really angry about how we treat gay people and he is trying to get countries around the world to boycott the Winter Olympics by posting up a topic about it'.

Anyway, why should i do anything about it? I have no intention of going to Russia and im not gay.