Off Topic Messages

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:10 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:12 am

An answer to Fry by Andrew Pierce, himself a gay rights campaigner.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... caust.html

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:44 am

I think we should think about about another German Olympics: Munich, 1972. If the Russians cannot guarantee the complete and total safety of the athletes, including possible human rights violations, arrests, etc., then we cannot put our people, our athletes in harm's way.

Has Putin guaranteed their safety? Has he agreed to respect the values of the participating nations? Formally?

It is more complicated than 1972 because the authorities themselves are the potential "terrorists" whose actions cannot be predicted.

I think that is a major concern.

As to whether an Olympic boycott will prevent human rights abuses in general, I am not sure. I know it will take these games away from all the athletes, whatever their orientation. So, it's an not easy decision, especially remembering 1980/84.

The Olympics are supposed to be a shining example of a better future, often held in less-than-exemplary nations. It's not an easy decision.

I have no answer.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by rjm on Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 am

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:08 am

rjm wrote:I think we should think about about another German Olympics: Munich, 1972. If the Russians cannot guarantee the complete and total safety of the athletes, including possible human rights violations, arrests, etc., then we cannot put our people, our athletes in harm's way.

Has Putin guaranteed their safety? Has he agreed to respect the values of the participating nations? Formally?

I think that is a major concern.

As to whether an Olympic boycott will prevent human rights abuses in general, I am not sure. I know it will take these games away from all the athletes, whatever their orientation. So, it's an not easy decision, especially remembering 1980/84.

The Olympics are supposed to be a shining example of a better future, often held in less-than-exemplary nations. It's not an easy decision.

I have no answer.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4


I'm not sure it will change Putin's decisions either, but it does send a clear message. But let's remember that no-one is suggesting that these games should not take place, simply that they should not take place in Russia. Once again, there has already been an offer from Canada to host the Olympics. It would, no doubt, be a logistical nightmare for the media to change their plans now but, hey, that's tough. They'll manage.

Your comment about safety is, indeed, paramount to all of this. In all its statements, Russia has been unable to confirm safety of athletes. My understanding is that gay athletes and spectators will be safe as long as they show no outward signs of affection in public during their time in Russia. That is simply not good enough.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:20 am

poormadpeter wrote:Why shouldn't they be moved, as Fry and others have suggested. Canada has today offered to host the games, and says it could be ready in time.


We're there to help. It's what we do.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:06 am

paulsweeney wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Why shouldn't they be moved, as Fry and others have suggested. Canada has today offered to host the games, and says it could be ready in time.


We're there to help. It's what we do.


:)

It seems that any gay pride parades and demonstrations for equality have been banned in Russia for 100 years. Which seems a little excessive.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:55 am

poormadpeter wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Why shouldn't they be moved, as Fry and others have suggested. Canada has today offered to host the games, and says it could be ready in time.


We're there to help. It's what we do.


:)

It seems that any gay pride parades and demonstrations for equality have been banned in Russia for 100 years. Which seems a little excessive.


It does. One's sexuality doesn't matter to me or my wife. Our two best friends are a gay couple, and they enrich our lives.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:26 pm

Bodie wrote:
Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


Bingo. Well put.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:15 pm

bray1977 wrote:
Bodie wrote:
Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


Bingo. Well put.


So you don't think you are reminding everyone of your sexuality in each and every thing you do each day, as mentioned in my post about? You don't think that because you are allowed to act naturally, talk about your wife, your kids, where wedding rings, hold hands, etc. If we do that we are advertising our "preference", if you do that, it's not even thought about.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:52 pm

I work in the airline industry and have many gay work colleagues. They are quite openly gay but do not go on and on about it like you do. Everyone in my workplace gets along just fine, everyone knows who is going out with who regardless of the genders involved. Nobody cares, it's all normal for us. You are vastly overreacting here. The "straight" behaviours you mention are actually pretty recent themselves. Barely a hundred years ago it was unthinkable for a man and woman to kiss or cuddle in public or even be together without a chaperone if unmarried. It is only since about the 1930s that society has become gradually more permissive, culminating in the swingin' 60s with the free love movements etc.

Come back in a hundred years time and I'm pretty sure that you will see gays holding hands, kissing etc in public and it being accepted as normal. You are just living at the wrong time; exactly like all those centuries worth of straight people who couldn't show public affection either.

And I still regard the association of the holocaust and some beaten up people as over the top.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:42 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.


Really? Well that is a strange response considering over the years i have been to the Gay Pride day at Brighton a couple of times and been in a number of gay pubs and clubs with my friends.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.


Really? Well that is a strange response considering over the years i have been to the Gay Pride day at Brighton a couple of times and been in a number of gay pubs and clubs with my friends.


At which points they were all advertising their sexuality, were they not?

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:56 pm

bray1977 wrote:I work in the airline industry and have many gay work colleagues. They are quite openly gay but do not go on and on about it like you do. Everyone in my workplace gets along just fine, everyone knows who is going out with who regardless of the genders involved. Nobody cares, it's all normal for us. You are vastly overreacting here. The "straight" behaviours you mention are actually pretty recent themselves. Barely a hundred years ago it was unthinkable for a man and woman to kiss or cuddle in public or even be together without a chaperone if unmarried. It is only since about the 1930s that society has become gradually more permissive, culminating in the swingin' 60s with the free love movements etc.

Come back in a hundred years time and I'm pretty sure that you will see gays holding hands, kissing etc in public and it being accepted as normal. You are just living at the wrong time; exactly like all those centuries worth of straight people who couldn't show public affection either.

And I still regard the association of the holocaust and some beaten up people as over the top.


Go on about it like I do? It gets mentioned when a topic comes up where it is relevant - which is very few. Those topics are generally not started by me and generally result in someone telling me I should burn in hell. This is a significant news story in the UK over the last few days, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be discussed here along with any other news story. As it happens, a search will show that out of 1531 topics I have contributed to, I have used the word "homosexual" in 12 of them. Is that really "going on about it?"

As for returning in two hundred years time, I fear that will not be possible. Quite why you think we should have to wait two hundred years beyond heterosexual society for such privileges, and why that wait is acceptable, is something you fail to mention.

Meanwhile, I can assure you through my study of films from 1894 onwards that affection between heterosexual couples in public was perfect normal back then. Please investigate the films of Mitchell and Kenyon for yourself.

What is perhaps most concerning is that a film from 1895 shows behaviour that was permissible then, but seemingly viewed as unacceptable by people such as Bodie today. It is, after all, two men bring intimate in public, right?

phpBB [video]



As it happens that film has nothing to do with homosexuality. Thomas Edison simply refused to employ women at his film studio in 1895, and so two men had to do the dancing. Of course we see Edison's behaviour as outrageous and wildly inappropriate today, and would no doubt condemn the actions of a country that suddenly took away women's rights overnight - and would no doubt believe it would be inappropriate for that country to host an Olympic games where women were not allowed to compete in absolute safety. But that shows the hypocrisy of society, doesn't it?

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:06 am

No.

::rocks

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:39 am

Let's be honest, folks. We straight people aggressively advertise our orientation ALL THE TIME. And loudly.

I do. Which is my right. It's everyone's right.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:09 am

rjm wrote:Let's be honest, folks. We straight people aggressively advertise our orientation ALL THE TIME. And loudly.

I do. Which is my right. It's everyone's right.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4


Indeed!

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:29 am

Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

NO.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Bodie wrote:Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

You say that on a forum where the thread with the most traffic is this one:

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17146&view=unread#unread

It's basically just one big sign saying "Look at me!!! I'm straight!!!!"

And bear in mind that when you came up with a screen name, you chose "Bodie". If you'd gone with "Julian Clary", you might have had a point.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:16 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.


Really? Well that is a strange response considering over the years i have been to the Gay Pride day at Brighton a couple of times and been in a number of gay pubs and clubs with my friends.


At which points they were all advertising their sexuality, were they not?


Yes which i don't have a problem with, but your saying that i don't want to be reminded of the fact that they are gay which is ridiculous.
As for me being in gay pubs or clubs, my girlfriend has gay friends and now and then we go out to those places.

You seem to be a very confused man. You want to be treated as a straight person but then again you want to be isolated from straight people because you are gay. :?

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.


Really? Well that is a strange response considering over the years i have been to the Gay Pride day at Brighton a couple of times and been in a number of gay pubs and clubs with my friends.


At which points they were all advertising their sexuality, were they not?


Yes which i don't have a problem with, but your saying that i don't want to be reminded of the fact that they are gay which is ridiculous.
As for me being in gay pubs or clubs, my girlfriend has gay friends and now and then we go out to those places.

You seem to be a very confused man. You want to be treated as a straight person but then again you want to be isolated from straight people because you are gay. :?


Sorry, but considering you say you don't want to be reminded that people are gay, and yet go to gay pubs and pride with them, it seems to me that you're the one who is confused.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:38 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:Getting back to the main topic, its reported on the news that a stronger stance to the Gay Laws that Russia have is to take part in the Winter Olympics, not to Boycott them.


Nearly eleven thousand athletes took part in the London Olympics. Going by the figure of 9% of the population of the world being gay or bisexual, that means that there were around 990 were gay or bisexual. Out of nearly a thousand, the number of athletes who are open about their sexuality was a mere 21. That means roughly 2% of gay athletes feel that they can be open about it within the world of sport. There is a huge on-going problem with homophobia and general lack-of-acceptance within the sporting world, and gay athletes will be even more marginalised if the games go ahead as planned next year in a country that is outlawing homosexuality and breaching human rights in that area. At a time when the gay sporting community should be getting support from the Olympics committee to encourage openness and acceptance, it will instead be receiving a kick in the teeth (possibly for real as well as metaphorically).


I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.


I think you seem to be believing the russian politicians rather than the russian people. It is nothing do with "promotion" of homosexuality, it's to do with people getting arrested for holding hands in the street, or even mentioning the very word.

You advertise the fact you are straight ever time you go out with your wife, when you where a wedding ring, when you kiss in public, or hold hands, or touch her hair or cheek, every time you mention your wife in public, every time you talk about your kids, every time a straight couple is depicted in a TV drama, film or book. Every time a song lyric sung by a man talks about his lover, wife or girlfriend (and vice versa). Every time a men's magazine has a woman on the front. Every time a pretty woman turns your head. Every single thing you do each and every day reminds us that you are heterosexual - you just don't realise it because it's natural to you.

On the other hand, we are expected to fight every urge and impulse to let a sign come through of who we really are (going by your suggestion, or those in Russia). To talk about a partner is seen as advertising the fact we are gay, rather than being a natural thing. Every time we peck a guy on the cheek in public, or hold his hand we are seen as "advertising" or "flaunting" our sexuality. Gay rights has so far brought us to a situation where we are "tolerated" providing we keep quiet and make no noise. Well, quite frankly, f*ck that. I see no reason homosexuals shouldn't be as open about who they are as every other person on the planet, and I sure as hell think they should continue to fight when their rights are being abused by a prick like Putin in Russia.

So, bearing that in mind... for a trial period, we should ban all straight people holding hands or kissing in public, or showing any signs that they might be a couple while in public. They should remove all wedding rings, as that would be a sign of heterosexuality. In fact, for the entire trial period, they should pretend they are homosexual, and only talk about elements of homosexual life (you, after all, want us to act heterosexual). On TV, film and books, only homosexuality would be talked about, and there would only be depictions of homosexual couples. During that time, you must not moan about this situation, nor should you state that they wish they could show who they really were in public. Nor should you moan that there are no longer characters in books, film and TV that you can identify with.

That's roughly what you are suggesting gays do. Why don't you try living a different life for a month, and see how you like it?


I think your overreacting which is the point i was trying to make.

I have no problem with gay people behaving the same way as straight people, maybe other people have a problem with that but i certainly don't.

I have gay and lesbian friends and treat them just as i would with my other friends and they certainly don't go on about it like you do.


On the contrary, Bodie, I reacted quite rationally to what you wrote - which is, basically that you're fine with gays and lesbians as long as they don't ever remind you of the fact.


Really? Well that is a strange response considering over the years i have been to the Gay Pride day at Brighton a couple of times and been in a number of gay pubs and clubs with my friends.


At which points they were all advertising their sexuality, were they not?


Yes which i don't have a problem with, but your saying that i don't want to be reminded of the fact that they are gay which is ridiculous.
As for me being in gay pubs or clubs, my girlfriend has gay friends and now and then we go out to those places.

You seem to be a very confused man. You want to be treated as a straight person but then again you want to be isolated from straight people because you are gay. :?


Sorry, but considering you say you don't want to be reminded that people are gay, and yet go to gay pubs and pride with them, it seems to me that you're the one who is confused.


Not really, i just treat everyone the same, regardless if they are gay or not and i certainly wouldn't stop myself going to an event, pub or club if there happens to be mostly gay people there which is what you wrote.

What annoys me are people like you who want to be treated the same as straight people but also want to be isolated into a certain group just cause you are gay.

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:39 pm

Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:46 pm

Elfan wrote:
Bodie wrote:I think its more about the promotion of homosexuality that Russia is against.

Why don't some gay people just get on with their lives and stop trying to force acceptance of their sexual preferences upon the rest of us? After all there are many others who have different sexual preferences but they are not advertising the fact that they are straight or celibate.

I totally agree with that. Why do gay people keep advertising the fact?


have you actually read this thread?