Off Topic Messages

Re: Should we boycott the Winter Olympics?

Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:46 am

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The people I believe are the gay men and women of Russia, and the tourists that have been arrested by Russia because of their sexuality, and the images that have appeared online from reputable sources. You can pretend the evidence doesn't exist, but it does, and it's there for all to see. But most would rather simply turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist.

So what have you actually done about it other than post a topic about the subject on an Elvis forum?

A damn sight more than you ever will.

The only thing you have done is moan about it on here which really isn't gonna do anything unless some Government Officials from Russia are members on here and tell their comrades' Hey guys, we better change the anti-gay laws in our country cause there is an Elvis fan on the FECC forum who is really angry about how we treat gay people and he is trying to get countries around the world to boycott the Winter Olympics by posting up a topic about it'.

Anyway, why should i do anything about it? I have no intention of going to Russia and im not gay.

Actually, I asked a simple question in the opening post. the only reason the thread has gone on so long is because people such as yourselves seem intent on posting on it. Quite how you know what I have done elsewhere is a mystery to me, but perhaps you could possibly enlighten us? And I never did say you were gay. Despite the fact you named yourself after a TV characters with a fondness for guns and shooting. But, hey, I'm not Freud...

Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:02 am

It has to be said there is a deep homosexual vein going through the relationship of TV's Bodie and Doyle.

Not that there's anything wrong with that: just interesting that the "Bodie" of FECC chooses that as his preferred login name...

::rocks

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:16 am

Bodie and Poormadpeter should just get a room. Or at least their own section here at FECC. I'm just sayin'

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:35 am

paulsweeney wrote:Bodie and Poormadpeter should just get a room. Or at least their own section here at FECC. I'm just sayin'

Haha! I already beat you to that one Paul.

smt174

Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:34 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The people I believe are the gay men and women of Russia, and the tourists that have been arrested by Russia because of their sexuality, and the images that have appeared online from reputable sources. You can pretend the evidence doesn't exist, but it does, and it's there for all to see. But most would rather simply turn a blind eye to it and pretend it doesn't exist.

So what have you actually done about it other than post a topic about the subject on an Elvis forum?

The only thing you have done is moan about it on here which really isn't gonna do anything unless some Government Officials from Russia are members on here and tell their comrades' Hey guys, we better change the anti-gay laws in our country cause there is an Elvis fan on the FECC forum who is really angry about how we treat gay people and he is trying to get countries around the world to boycott the Winter Olympics by posting up a topic about it'.

Anyway, why should i do anything about it? I have no intention of going to Russia and im not gay.

Actually, I asked a simple question in the opening post. the only reason the thread has gone on so long is because people such as yourselves seem intent on posting on it. Quite how you know what I have done elsewhere is a mystery to me, but perhaps you could possibly enlighten us? And I never did say you were gay. Despite the fact you named yourself after a TV characters with a fondness for guns and shooting. But, hey, I'm not Freud...

And i never said that you said i was Gay, just stating a fact cause you claimed you have done more than i have regards to trying to get the Winter Olympic games boycotted.

The topic obviously relates to you more as you are gay and it would be interesting to find out what else you have done besides posting this up on the forum as this is an important issue with you.

I can't seem to figure out why you started this topic on here in the first place but i must say that its an interesting debate. Even my old friend elvisalisellers has joined in :lol:

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:41 pm

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

And i never said that you said i was Gay, just stating a fact cause you claimed you have done more than i have regards to trying to get the Winter Olympic games boycotted.

The topic obviously relates to you more as you are gay and it would be interesting to find out what else you have done besides posting this up on the forum as this is an important issue with you.

I can't seem to figure out why you started this topic on here in the first place but i must say that its an interesting debate. Even my old friend elvisalisellers has joined in :lol:

Why wouldn't I post it in here? Other news stories get posted in here. You posted about North Korea, if I remember correctly, but there was clearly nothing to be gained from that other than seeing what others had to say on the matter and their own beliefs of how it would play out. No-one can gauge public opinion on this kind of issue within a forum dedicated to liberal political causes or equality or even amongst friends and acquaintances on twitter or facebook - they invariably all agree on the matter in hand. It is with dismay that it appears that is not the case elsewhere. However, with FIFA now bringing up similar issues regarding the World Cup, it appears more pressure will be put on Russia. Russia for its part has guaranteed the safety of gay athletes providing no signs of affection are made in public (not really satisfactory). Stephen Fry and others have suggested that athletes give a symbol of solidarity to the LGBT community in Russia when they are announced to the crowd (providing there is one, there hasn't been at the world athletics championships!) or during medal ceremonies. As supporting gay rights in public (whether you are gay or just a supporter) is now illegal, that action, sadly, can still lead to arrest.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:01 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

Why wouldn't I post it in here? Other news stories get posted in here. You posted about North Korea, if I remember correctly, but there was clearly nothing to be gained from that other than seeing what others had to say on the matter and their own beliefs of how it would play out. No-one can gauge public opinion on this kind of issue within a forum dedicated to liberal political causes or equality or even amongst friends and acquaintances on twitter or facebook - they invariably all agree on the matter in hand. It is with dismay that it appears that is not the case elsewhere. However, with FIFA now bringing up similar issues regarding the World Cup, it appears more pressure will be put on Russia. Russia for its part has guaranteed the safety of gay athletes providing no signs of affection are made in public (not really satisfactory). Stephen Fry and others have suggested that athletes give a symbol of solidarity to the LGBT community in Russia when they are announced to the crowd (providing there is one, there hasn't been at the world athletics championships!) or during medal ceremonies. As supporting gay rights in public (whether you are gay or just a supporter) is now illegal, that action, sadly, can still lead to arrest.

Well, in all honesty, Russia seems to be abit backward if its true with what has been claimed but there are some countries far worse than Russia for its treatment of gay and lesbians.

I don't believe in a boycott just for the fact that the only people who be be punished are the competitors.

Hopefully over the years, Russia and all the other countries will treat same sex couples with respect towards their choice of lifestyle.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:38 am

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

Well, in all honesty, Russia seems to be abit backward if its true with what has been claimed but there are some countries far worse than Russia for its treatment of gay and lesbians.

I don't believe in a boycott just for the fact that the only people who be be punished are the competitors.

Hopefully over the years, Russia and all the other countries will treat same sex couples with respect towards their choice of lifestyle.

The issue would not be as present if Russia wasn't moving backwards. Yes, some African nations are more backward with regards to gay rights, but at least they are not, on the whole, getting worse (Uganda is an exception). The issue with Russia, of course, is the fact that it presents itself as a developed country (hence how it got the games) and wants an equal footing with other developed countries. And, frankly, they can't have it both ways.

A boycott was never going to happen realistically, but a move should have been the way forward. Russia shouldn't be able to take the benefits that a country gets from holding the Olympics. It would be easy to say that this would only be punishing the government of Russia, and the people would be missing out - but it appears that there the turn against homosexuals (no doubt encouraged by the government, as the turn against immigrants and those on benefits has occurred here) is within Russian society as well over the last couple of years, with gay bashings, hate crimes and murders reported frequently, and a recent report lists Russia as the worst and most dangerous place to live as a gay or lesbian out of all 49 European countries.

So, a snub by moving the games should have been the way forward in my opinion. Yes, it would have resulted possibly in a smaller, less "glamourous" games, if you like, with smaller opening and closing ceremonies etc - but that shouldn't be what the Olympics are all about anyway.

FIFA still have to work out what they are going to do with the situation in Qatar for 2022 as well, of course, with many stating they shouldn't have got the world cup in the first place, and I believe there are now claims of corruption in the bid. That story has a lot longer to play out, I think.

The big question is what will happen if there are demonstrations during the games. I suspect Russia isn't stupid enough to arrest tourists so that they can keep up the pretence that all is fine - but the likelihood is that, once the games are out of the way and the world is turning its attention elsewhere, things will get still worse.

This isn't something that has occurred suddenly, it has to be said. When Putin visited Amsterdam in the spring, the government of the Netherlands ordered all government buildings to fly the rainbow flag in demonstration to his policies towards gays and lesbians.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Lets just be clear here, these recent laws introduced by Russia are completely separate from the gay bashings, beatings that you are referring to.

The laws state that discussion of homosexuality, or gay propaganda as they call it, is outlawed. The laws dont state that you are seemingly allowed to beat up people who are gay. Russia does not outlaw gay sex or being gay but only outlaws discussion of anything related to being gay. Do the new laws infringe your rights to free speech? sure they do, but those laws have nothing to do with the abuses and beatings.

And its not if the UK hasnt got a problem with hate crime against gays, a good few thousand or more incidents every year I have read, and not to mention 30 murders related to LGBT in the US. Is that enough for a boycott of the UK or the USA?

Its all about perspective. I was taught very young to respect and treat everyone as equal but also to have perspective, thats what matters.

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:30 pm

memphisto wrote:Lets just be clear here, these recent laws introduced by Russia are completely separate from the gay bashings, beatings that you are referring to.

The laws state that discussion of homosexuality, or gay propaganda as they call it, is outlawed. The laws dont state that you are seemingly allowed to beat up people who are gay. Russia does not outlaw gay sex or being gay but only outlaws discussion of anything related to being gay. Do the new laws infringe your rights to free speech? sure they do, but those laws have nothing to do with the abuses and beatings.

And its not if the UK hasnt got a problem with hate crime against gays, a good few thousand or more incidents every year I have read, and not to mention 30 murders related to LGBT in the US. Is that enough for a boycott of the UK or the USA?

Its all about perspective. I was taught very young to respect and treat everyone as equal but also to have perspective, thats what matters.

On the contrary, the laws have a lot to do with gay bashings and hate crimes - or, rather, the fact that the police etc are refusing to investigate such incidents and are, seemingly, even encouraging them. It is all very much related.