Off Topic Messages

Rare Lennon and McCartney Photo - April 1969

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Taken during the recording of 'The Ballad of John and Yoko' in April 1969 at Abbey Road Studios, London:

_69060488_john_lennon_paul_mccartney_recording.jpg

Here's where you'll find the full story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-23531920
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Rare Lennon and McCartney Photo - April 1969

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 am

Pretty cool! Did you know "The Ballad of John and Yoko" pays homage to a song by Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n' Roll Trio?

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Pretty cool! Did you know "The Ballad of John and Yoko" pays homage to a song by Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n' Roll Trio?

Not me. What about it? Sounds interesting.

rjm

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:58 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Pretty cool! Did you know "The Ballad of John and Yoko" pays homage to a song by Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n' Roll Trio?

rjm

John Lennon's favorite period of music is the music that changed his life: 50s rock.
"The Ballad of John and Yoko" (#8 US, #1 UK, 1969) has its roots in a 1957 song: "Lonesome Tears In My Eyes."

Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n Roll Trio (Coral 57080, 1956)

"Lonesome Tears In My Eyes" is the fifth track on side one:

phpBB [video]

The band, who knew Elvis from the early days at Lauderdale Courts in Memphis, is best known for the original rock 'n' roll version of "Train Kept A-Rollin'" -- later covered by the Yardbirds and Aerosmith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rock_and_Roll_Trio

Note: The Beatles performed a great "Lonesome Tears in My Eyes" on BBC Radio in July 1963.
The lead vocals? John Lennon -->

phpBB [video]

Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 am

Yup!

Also, a taste of Sweet Little Sixteen there.

But absolutely, it's from that touching little rockabilly tune.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:59 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:

rjm

John Lennon's favorite period of music is the music that changed his life: 50s rock.
"The Ballad of John and Yoko" (#8 US, #1 UK, 1969) has its roots in a 1957 song: "Lonesome Tears In My Eyes."

Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n Roll Trio (Coral 57080, 1956)

"Lonesome Tears In My Eyes" is the fifth track on side one:

phpBB [video]

The band, who knew Elvis from the early days at Lauderdale Courts in Memphis, is best known for the original rock 'n' roll version of "Train Kept A-Rollin'" -- later covered by the Yardbirds and Aerosmith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rock_and_Roll_Trio

Note: The Beatles performed a great "Lonesome Tears in My Eyes" on BBC Radio in July 1963.
The lead vocals? John Lennon -->

phpBB [video]

Cool Doc. You and i had this conversation before on another thread. Two great songs!!!

Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:40 am

Cool picture.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:32 pm

From the session:

Lennon (on guitar): "Go a bit faster, Ringo!"
McCartney (on drums): "OK, George!"