Off Topic Messages

The Beatles (White Album)--single or double?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Producer George Martin was stunned when John & Paul came into the studio with over 30 new songs (with some contribution from George Harrison) for their next album. Most of the songs were written in india and demoed at Harrison house.

After John & Paul's initial idea for a double album and letting Martin know how they wanted the album to be. Martin, really wanted them to omit the weaker songs and just do a single album. But John & Paul were at one of their most creative periods and insisted it be released as a double, no matter what.

Over the years, a lot of fans say it should have been a single album, with scrappy ditty songs like "Wild Honey Pie", "Why Don't We Do It In The Road" being pointless with songs like this that go nowhere. And of course, "Revolution#9" being a bit substandard and maybe too avant-garde for the average Beatle fan.

Personally, i love the album and absolutely understand what they were doing with such ditty songs and for that reason i have no problem with the album. Of course, i'd rather listen to "Bungalow Bill" or "Blackbird" then something like "Wild Honey Pie".

Well, what do you think? Single or double?

Re: The Beatles (White Album)--single or double?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:03 pm

If it sold the fans must have liked it at the time.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:43 pm

Single it would have been an outstanding record. So there are too many songs for me that I rather skip.

Years back I made an CD-R with just my favourites from that album but can't recall the running order.

But I included the following (not necessarily the best tracks though):

Back in the USSR
Dear Prudence
Glass Onion
The Continuing Story of Bungalow Bill
While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Happiness Is a Warm Gun
I’m So Tired
Blackbird
Don’t Pass Me By
Why Don’t We Do It in the Road
I Will
Julia
Birthday
Yer Blues
Everybody’s Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Sexy Sadie
Helter Skelter
Revolution 1
Honey Pie

Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:34 pm

Not my Favourite Beatles album...from all the songs on that double LP , i like only about 6 songs.....

Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:49 pm

This is a good question for conversation sake, and don't take this the wrong way, but the idea of posing single versus double with regard to The White Album is absurd and even a little more than shallow. Why should it have been a single album, especially in 1968? Having so-called 'ditty songs' and experimental pieces may not make sense now to music fans in 2013 but back then people were a little more open to ideas that would now be reffered to as 'off the grid'. Something quite frankly, we could use more of these days. And by the way...'dittys'? Seriously? The Beatles may have been near the end of their run when this album was being made but they still had some deeply creative stuff going on and realized the importance of artistic growth...

Let's ask Paul what he thinks, he says it best.

Oh, Paul...Sir Paul McCartney...are you there for comment?

phpBB [video]

Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:55 am

The White Album is the creme de la creme of 1968. I was only 1year old when it was released, but i'll never forget when i first heard it...it blew my sideways!!!!

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:06 am

Paul says it best -- it's a great record, let it be. ;-)

Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:34 pm

If it was a single album, perhaps, it would have lost some of the luster of it being a huge double album at the time. You must remember this followed Peppers ( I don't really count MMT as this was only a US LP rounded out by singles on side 2) and the thought on everyone's mind at the time was, what can they ever do to top Peppers? So along comes this huge album. In that regard with so many new songs, it did its job in topping Peppers for sheer quantity of new Beatles stuff which everyone wanted. It was an event, and as I remember a huge Christmas item that year. Is there filler, yeah, Could it have a been a great single album, yeah. Should we let it be? yeah, It did its job.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:32 am

california boy wrote:Not my Favourite Beatles album...from all the songs on that double LP , i like only about 6 songs.....

I agree.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:39 pm

promiseland wrote:
california boy wrote:Not my Favourite Beatles album...from all the songs on that double LP , i like only about 6 songs.....

I agree.

Sort of how a lot feel about the Elvls' Stax sessions.