Off Topic Messages

Re: Sgt. Pepper--Do you think it's overrated?

Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I have to confess that I'm not a huge Beatles fan, although that doesn't mean I hate them either. But Sgt Pepper is an album I have never "got". I like Lucy in the Sky and Day in the Life very much, but other than I find it to be rather a case of style over substance. Give me Abbey Road any day.

Do you own a copy of Pepper?

Have you thought about replacing your stylus? It seems to be getting stuck.

Thank you.

I suggest you buy a copy of the music being discussed, and listen to it, before dismissing it here via second-hand experiences.

I don't have to own an album to have heard it and made judgement on it. Why would I buy an album I didn't like? Do you not think I might have heard the album because my parents owned a copy? Or a sibling? Or a flatmate? Or a partner? Or because I used to work in a record shop? Or because I used to own a copy in the past but sold it because I didn't like it?

To put it in a way you may comprehend:

I don't own you, but I've heard enough to realise I don't like you. :wink:

On a side note, quite why you seem so intent on starting confrontatations when things have been rather peaceful between the pair of us is a mystery. Do you want us two to be at each other's throats? Because that's what these types of posts suggest.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:52 am

Do I think it's overrated? Yep.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:15 am

poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I have to confess that I'm not a huge Beatles fan, although that doesn't mean I hate them either. But Sgt Pepper is an album I have never "got". I like Lucy in the Sky and Day in the Life very much, but other than I find it to be rather a case of style over substance. Give me Abbey Road any day.

Thank you.

I suggest you buy a copy of the music being discussed, and listen to it, before dismissing it here via second-hand experiences.

I don't have to own an album to have heard it and made judgement on it.

It is disingenuous to dismiss a subject for which you have a superficial investment. And it is irksome to see your constant, lengthy laments about Presley releases that you will never own. Those are points you conveniently ignore, to our dismay.

Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:09 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Here's my order, the way I would rate them:

1. A Day In The Life (5/5)
2. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds (5/5)
3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (5/5)
4. Within You Without You (4.5/5)
5. Lovely Rita (4.5/5)
6. With A Little Help From My Friends (4/5)
7. Good Morning, Good Morning (4/5)
8. When I'm Sixty-Four (4/5)
9. She's Leaving Home (4/5)
10. Getting Better (4/5)
11. Fixing A Hole (3.5/5)
12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) (3.5/5)
13. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! (3/5)

A list. That makes it easier.

I'll go through it track by track. This is not my favorite later period album, I will warn you. Possibly least favorite. Much prefer almost any of the others, with Rubber Soul at the top. But I will go through it, to point out why.

The most ambitious is still satisfying: "A Day In The Life." And "When I'm Sixty-Four" a great pop song. I like the title tune, both times, as a conceptual piece, and also like "She's Leaving Home" as a period piece that is still moving. "Getting Better" is neat ear candy, but great pop? I don't know. Maybe it works for others. I do like "With A Little Help" for it's timely spirit, and it's a pop classic. "Good Morning . . . " doesn't work for me, never has. Nor does "Within You . . ." "Rita" is a novelty; not for me. They could do better. "Fixing A Hole" might be their least favorite song of mine. "Mr. Kite" doesn't move me. "Lucy" is a catchy play on words. I never could get past that.

Have to be honest. This got a lot of spins when I first bought it, because I really wanted to try to feel what the fuss was all about. But when I reach for a Beatles' album today, this is not the one. Well, somebody did ask.

Can ANY of these songs touch the utterly sublime "In My Life"? Be honest. Really.

rjm

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thank you.

I don't have to own an album to have heard it and made judgement on it.

It is disingenuous to dismiss a subject for which you have a superficial investment. And it is irksome to see your constant, lengthy laments about Presley releases that you will never own. Those are points you conveniently ignore, to our dismay.

So I have a superficial investment because I don't like the album and no longer own it? Also, my posts have actually been rather short of late, and my posts considerably less in quantity than usual, so quite where these constant lengthy laments on Presley releases are coming from, I don't know?

Also, please quote my entire post rather than taking a sentence out of context and therefore changing the meaning of what I have written. It is neither clever or amusing. So, to make it clear, my post read:

I don't have to own an album to have heard it and made judgement on it. Why would I buy an album I didn't like? Do you not think I might have heard the album because my parents owned a copy? Or a sibling? Or a flatmate? Or a partner? Or because I used to work in a record shop? Or because I used to own a copy in the past but sold it because I didn't like it?

What's more you argument about having to own something to pass judgement on it is ridiculous.

If you hear a song on the radio, can you not pass judgement on it?
If you watch a film on TV, do you have to go out and buy the DVD in order to make a decision on its worth?
Do film reviewers have to wait until the DVD is released before they can write their review in an honest way?

Now, to coin your own phrase, please post on topic.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:04 am

poormadpeter wrote:What's more you argument about having to own something to pass judgement on it is ridiculous.

That's not my argument.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:What's more you argument about having to own something to pass judgement on it is ridiculous.

That's not my argument.

Are you sure about that, because that's certainly what you wrote:

That is you telling me to buy a copy before passing judgement on it, right? And you write this despite the fact that I have alluded really quite clearly to the fact that I am very familiar with the album.

But that isn't what this is about, is it? It's just you playing your normal games. Well, as I said earlier: the ball's in your court. Think a little before you send it back my way.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:26 pm

At the time, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't think I have ever played an album everyday like that in my life. Also, all my friends did. It was everywhere in the summer of love. It was iconic in so many ways. The album became a work of art, and it was the turning point of albums becoming more important than 45s and FM radio becoming more popular than AM. That being said, is it overrated? Well not for its time. But to me, it is kind of stuck in that hazy summer of 67 and sounds a bit dated. I think their best albums were Rubber Soul & Revolver. I think the While album is very good and probably would have been their best album if it was a single LP, with all the filler stuff and lesser songs omitted.

Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:24 pm

r&b wrote:At the time, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't think I have ever played an album everyday like that in my life. Also, all my friends did. It was everywhere in the summer of love. It was iconic in so many ways. The album became a work of art, and it was the turning point of albums becoming more important than 45s and FM radio becoming more popular than AM. That being said, is it overrated? Well not for its time. But to me, it is kind of stuck in that hazy summer of 67 and sounds a bit dated. I think their best albums were Rubber Soul & Revolver. I think the While album is very good and probably would have been their best album if it was a single LP, with all the filler stuff and lesser songs omitted.

I've also put a topic up about the white album, should it have been a double or single album... Take a look.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:04 am

r&b wrote:At the time, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. I don't think I have ever played an album everyday like that in my life. Also, all my friends did. It was everywhere in the summer of love. It was iconic in so many ways. The album became a work of art, and it was the turning point of albums becoming more important than 45s and FM radio becoming more popular than AM. That being said, is it overrated? Well not for its time. But to me, it is kind of stuck in that hazy summer of 67 and sounds a bit dated. I think their best albums were Rubber Soul & Revolver. I think the While album is very good and probably would have been their best album if it was a single LP, with all the filler stuff and lesser songs omitted.

Very much agree with this, and very well-stated. Thank you.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Very much agree with this, and very well-stated. Thank you.

Just wish i had been around in the 60's when all this stuff was first released. The 60's & 50's must've been wonderful era's to live in, as far as music goes. Such fabulous times. 50's & 60's are the best decades for music.

Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:09 pm

No, I don't think the Sgt. Peppar album is overrated. Beside the Peppar album my favorites is The White Album and Revolver.

Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:15 pm

It's about about as overrated as Citizen Kane, Elvis Presley, Silence of the Lambs, Elvis Presley, Oh and yeah, Elvis Presley. :-)

Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:55 pm

On Friday I had the pleasure of seeing Paul McCartney thrill San Francisco with his performance of "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" -- what I call a quiet tribute to John, as this intricate, fascinating tune was primarily written by Lennon. And it was part of a spectacular three-hour set that blew away the 60,000 assembled at the Outside Lands Festival. Not too shabby for a guy over 71 years of age.

phpBB [video]

Paul McCartney "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" (Outside Lands Festival, Friday, August 9, 2013)

Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:On Friday I had the pleasure of seeing Paul McCartney thrill San Francisco with his performance of "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" -- what I call a quiet tribute to John, as this intricate, fascinating tune was primarily written by Lennon. And it was part of a spectacular three-hour set that blew away the 60,000 assembled at the Outside Lands Festival. Not too shabby for a guy over 71 years of age.

phpBB [video]

Paul McCartney "Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!" (Outside Lands Festival, Friday, August 9, 2013)

Cool! Thanks for posting. If only John was still around RIP.