A Snapshot Of The Past

Off Topic Messages

Moderators: Moderator1, Moderator2

A Snapshot Of The Past

Postby TCB-FAN » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 am

Times Square, New York, December 1962.

"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970
TCB-FAN

Topic author

Re: A Snapshot Of The Past

Postby Wolf » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:24 am

I love looking at old pictures. It's interesting how people dressed then as opposed to now. Men would wear suit and tie while women would wear dresses and oftentimes gloves just to go out in public. I bet that they would be shocked to see how some people dress nowadays.
Wolf

Postby drjohncarpenter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:11 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Times Square, New York, December 1962.

1005997_500828660009052_508320194_n.jpg

Wouldn't it be a lot colder in New York in December? Snow on the ground, and all?

I suspect this photo was taken in the spring of 1963.

Neat photo, though.

Also, what's with all the FB-sourced images?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!
drjohncarpenter

Postby Mister Mike » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:43 pm

Thought the movie ┬źLawrence Of Arabia┬╗ (which can be seen playing at a theater on the right) was released on December 16, 1962, the lack of snow anywhere, as pointed out by the Doc, tends to make me agree with him and place this pix as late winter / early spring 1963. The movie was such a success that it could still be playing there (either the original release or the January 1963 edited release.)
Proud fan-boy since 1973.
Mister Mike

Postby TCB-FAN » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:10 am

Mister Mike wrote:The lack of snow anywhere, as pointed out by the Doc, tends to make me agree with him and place this pix as late winter / early spring 1963.

According to the old farmer's almanac, there was barely any snowfall in NYC in December '62, even though the average temp was around 30 F.

Link :
http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/ ... 1962-12-24
"If The Songs Don't Go Over With The Crowd, We Can Always Do A Medley Of Costumes."

Elvis A. Presley, 1970
TCB-FAN

Topic author

Postby JamesVRoy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:53 am

My father took me to see that movie when it came out here
JamesVRoy

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:49 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:The lack of snow anywhere, as pointed out by the Doc, tends to make me agree with him and place this pix as late winter / early spring 1963.

According to the old farmer's almanac, there was barely any snowfall in NYC in December '62, even though the average temp was around 30 F.

Link :
http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/ ... 1962-12-24

Look at that photo and tell us if you think the people in it are walking around in thirty-degree weather.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby promiseland » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:43 am

I'm going to throw in a guess and say Wednesday January 15th 1963.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit."
promiseland

Postby TCB-FAN » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:41 am

Just a side note.......as I was comparing weather data over a 50 year period on the farmer's almanac website, it seems the winters in the Northeast U.S. including New York have gotten considerably warmer over the years. Global warming perhaps ? Was Al Gore right all along ?

I guess those old geezers weren't that senile when they say that "Winters aren't what they used to be." They're probably right.

Elvis A. Presley, 1970
TCB-FAN

Topic author

Postby rjm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 am

"Lawrence of Arabia" is at the big theater. One assumes it had recently come out. So, I'll go check the Wiki on it, and see the date! Hold up a sec.

Here's the WiKi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Arabia_(film)

Apparently they were made of sterner stuff back then. I would have had scarf, my deerskin mittens, silly knit cap with pom-pom that says "'BAMA". . . but I wasn't born, so I guess that's a good thing.

rjm
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:25 am

rjm wrote:"Lawrence of Arabia" is at the big theater. One assumes it had recently come out.

One assumes such a successful movie, released in mid-December 1962, would be in the big theater for at least a few months. Plus its "Oscar Buzz" would further fuel ticket sales. The film was nominated in late February for 11 Oscars, and the ceremony was held on April 8. It won 7 of those 11 awards.

Again, I'll bet the photo is circa March-April 1963 (Spring).
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby rjm » Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:"Lawrence of Arabia" is at the big theater. One assumes it had recently come out.

One assumes such a successful movie, released in mid-December 1962, would be in the big theater for at least a few months. Plus its "Oscar Buzz" would further fuel ticket sales. The film was nominated in late February for 11 Oscars, and the ceremony was held on April 8. It won 7 of those 11 awards.

Again, I'll bet the photo is circa March-April 1963 (Spring).

That could be! I think it ran 44 weeks. So, there you go. But it's true that back then, men wore standard overcoats, and women something similar, and with practically bare legs (!!); no Polarfleece-lined jeans . . . it was a savage time. (As soon as it hits 55, I gear up!)

Looks like it could indeed be early Spring. I looked for a while for a better quality photograph of this time and place, but there's nothing. This looks like it was from a very poor quality postcard.

rjm
"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

---
Follow me on YouTube!

Or . . .

rjm

Postby George Smith » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm

The white type on the red strip just above the film title outside the cinema seems to say BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR, which would indicate that this is April. And is that a picture of an Oscar on the sign?

Alternatively, there's a possibility that it could perhaps say NOMINATED FOR ... BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR which would place it maybe a month or so earlier?
George Smith

Postby drjohncarpenter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:52 pm

George Smith wrote:The white type on the red strip just above the film title outside the cinema seems to say BEST PICTURE OF THE YEAR, which would indicate that this is April. And is that a picture of an Oscar on the sign?

It says exactly what you spotted, right down to the Oscar icon. So the marquee has to date to no earlier than April 8, 1963!

I just knew it was not Christmas-time in that photo. No snow, no cold people, no grey skies and not a single holiday sign, ornament, light or tree in sight!

Thanks, George Smith, for underscoring my observations.
Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
drjohncarpenter

Postby Mister Mike » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:51 pm

rjm wrote:"Lawrence of Arabia" is at the big theater. One assumes it had recently come out. So, I'll go check the Wiki on it, and see the date! Hold up a sec.

Here's the WiKi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_of_Arabia_(film)

rjm

If you had read my post, you would have seen that I had already done all the work for you....
Proud fan-boy since 1973.
Mister Mike

Postby TCB-FAN » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:51 pm

Ahhh the good ol' days when peanut butter was sold in metal cans. (Circa 1940's)

Elvis A. Presley, 1970
TCB-FAN

Topic author

Return to Off Topic