Off Topic Messages

Re: Obama finally speaks as a black president

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Obama should focus on issues that he was elected for, like fixing the mess left by Bush, not stirring up fires, especially since the justice system that has a particular procedure in place.

The President of the United States represents ALL of us, not some of us. His words were necessary, and pertinent. Period.

President Obama's comments last Friday will be seen as extremely significant when viewed through the lens of history, and it's very sad that so many Elvis Presley fans here are unable to grasp the import of his eloquent, spot-on speech.

And it's beyond shameful that my careful posting of President Obama's wonderful moment was beaten into submission (and banishment) with angry, off-topic posts and links by the lunatic-fringe, Limbaugh-loving bunch who have FECC membership. These people have serious issues, and I wish they belonged to another forum.

Wow, whatever happened to diversity of opinion? I respect your opinion, Doc, and have not taken to calling you various names (as you just did of me) for the views you have shared here or sought to banish them. This is America and one has the right to disagree with a view and explain why in a rational manner - that is something I am positive Elvis would agreed with.

How exactly have any of my posts on this thread or you prior post with Obama's speech been angry?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:22 pm

No member was called any names, but I have finally had enough of the codified language used on this forum for years by some members when referring to twice-elected President Barack Obama. Never referring to him as "President," calling him "boy," saying he "should keep his mouth shut," and so on. This is the President of the United States, not some guy standing on a corner.

And so I have no more patience or time for opinions by public figures who repeatedly spout divisive, racist rhetoric, who use hate speech to polarize public thought. They offer no deep insight into America or its people.

That's MY opinion, and I have as much right here to say so as anyone else.

I carefully posted a speech by President Barack Obama I considered historically significant, unbiased, inclusive, moving and worthy of discussion. A topic Elvis Presley would have appreciated, on many levels. I made NO comment myself about the subject he was speaking on. It got turned into an off-topic sling-fest by certain members, some who boasted they were not even willing to read or hear what our President had to say. And so the topic was deleted. On a forum all about Elvis Presley, the man, his music and his career, that is pathetic.

Thank you.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:You got your verdict; how much more pain do you wish to gratuitously inflict on his parents by throwing this dirt about their dead kid all over the Internet? Since it serves no litigation purpose to insinuate their son "got what he had coming," does this merely give you guys pleasure?

No, they simply share Rush Limbaugh's view, and cannot help but run at the mouth.

So is this a backwards way of saying we are racist since you already called Rush Limbaugh a racist in this thread already?

I am not, I was just pointing out this case isn't so open and close as people think.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:06 am

Seriously, I love these threads. Quality sniping, back-biting, bitching, name-calling, and nothing getting accomplished. And I never read a single entry!

Keep up the good work, folks..... :D

Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 am

I'm offended.

Shouldn't it be "African-American President?"

Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:32 am

jak wrote:Doc
You referred to other members as "bigots" before anyone had even posted on the thread.

Context.

I referred to no other specific members as bigots, but was speaking from the experience of a previous thread destroyed by same just a few days ago. Surely you are capable of connecting the dots.

Thank you.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 am

As bad as this feels, John, what these threads about the speech revealed has been enlightening. And it feels bad. But no need for any regrets. Originally, I thought the speech was very tepid and overly measured. Why do it at all if today's world is "better" than "35 years ago"?

Now I see it very differently. This speech merely asked people to privately question their own bias because racial profiling is real. He expressed memories of some of his personal experiences. I had put it down, initially, as an inadequate response. I thought he was preaching to the choir.

And, clearly, I was wrong.

His call for "a conversation" - in private no less, about race and one's own biases, brought out the worst in a lot of people. He asked people to simply talk about it "around the dinner table." And maybe that's the real message: "the conversation" he suggested is not possible at this time.

As for Elvis, I think he already knew that. He spoke of watching audience members stand with hand over heart at the strains of "Dixie," and then seeing the same people sit back down when he started the "other" songs. He was not naive about this.

We are younger, and many of us believe everything has changed. Now, we know. We know what he knew.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:46 am

The best man at my wedding 30 years ago was my best friend in high school. A black, gay American from Louisiana. Highly educated, Dartmouth and Harvard Law School. He now practices law in California. When he goes back home to Louisiana, he says "yes, things seem better than they used to be, but the racial hatred and bigotry are still there, they are just bubbling below the surface, people may be nice to your face, but..."

Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:12 am

rjm wrote:As bad as this feels, John, what these threads about the speech revealed has been enlightening. And it feels bad. But no need for any regrets. Originally, I thought the speech was very tepid and overly measured. Why do it at all if today's world is "better" than "35 years ago"?

Now I see it very differently. This speech merely asked people to privately question their own bias because racial profiling is real. He expressed memories of some of his personal experiences. I had put it down, initially, as an inadequate response. I thought he was preaching to the choir.

And, clearly, I was wrong.

His call for "a conversation" - in private no less, about race and one's own biases, brought out the worst in a lot of people. He asked people to simply talk about it "around the dinner table." And maybe that's the real message: "the conversation" he suggested is not possible at this time.

As for Elvis, I think he already knew that. He spoke of watching audience members stand with hand over heart at the strains of "Dixie," and then seeing the same people sit back down when he started the "other" songs. He was not naive about this.

We are younger, and many of us believe everything has changed. Now, we know. We know what he knew.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jak wrote:Doc
You referred to other members as "bigots" before anyone had even posted on the thread.

Context.

I referred to no other specific members as bigots, but was speaking from the experience of a previous thread destroyed by same just a few days ago. Surely you are capable of connecting the dots.

Thank you.

But you did refer to us a members of the "lunatic-fringe".

And it's beyond shameful that my careful posting of President Obama's wonderful moment was beaten into submission (and banishment) with angry, off-topic posts and links by the lunatic-fringe, Limbaugh-loving bunch who have FECC membership.

That's not exactly kind words for those of us with divergent views from yours.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:20 pm

Mike C wrote:But you did refer to us a members of the "lunatic-fringe".

I refer to no specific person as part of "the lunatic-fringe, Limbaugh-loving bunch who have FECC membership" -- that you tag yourself as being in such a group is another cross you have to bear.