Off Topic Messages

And you thought Parker was bad?

Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:32 am

There is more to life than just Elvis' music, so I am now reading a book I picked up at a discount book store for peanuts, called The Monkees - the day by day story of the 60's TV pop sensation by Andrew Sandoval.
They recorded at RCA and lots of session tapes did not survive, while lots of information is incomplete. There is paperwork for sessions but no specific details about who did what.
For me interesting is the information about their TV series, which I got on 2 box sets.
The members of The monkees were employed by Screen Gems. While their records sold in millions, the TV series grossed nicely and their live shows grossed at least $33,000 per show, their income was.......$ 400.00 a week! The make-up person got $ 450.00 a week!
Only when they insisted to have their own songs recorded and thus getting mechanical copyright payments, they started to make money.

Re: And you thought Parker was bad?

Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:47 pm

Jimi Hendrix was also robbed of most of his earnings by his manager.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:38 pm

Harry Nilsson and even George Harrison were robed of their money by accountants as well

Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:09 am

It's still going on with current artists too i bet.

Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:36 am

All what happen between artisrts and managers is very sad, artisrt are usually very naive and those managers are taking adventage that.....
As an artist myself i dont have a manager althou im looking cause i need lots of promotion and pr and stuff....its very hard .
Parker robbed Elvis artisticlly mostly during the '60....with the movies, he never gave him a free hand to do what he really wanted to do, as we all know that
during the '70 Parker just put Elvis in live shows till the end without touring the world, a big mistake and also had a gambling troubles that finally Elvis had to pay by doin show after show....till he almost had to sell Graceland....
as a PR parker was very good

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:19 am

Chow prolly embezzeled money from Concord Productions co-partner Bruce Lee and possibly even delayed the ambulance on purpose to make sure Lee was DOA.

Convinient that he could use Lazenby as an alibi too.

Lo Wei claimed that Lee had threatened him with a knife , this happened 10 days before Lee's death & Wei was well known to have mobster connections.

Bryanston which distributed Way of Dragon in the US were financed by mobsters , for example TX Chainsaw actors were promised a piece of TCMs profits but saw nada until VHS era came along.