Off Topic Messages

Paul McCartney & surviving members of Nirvana - Seattle 7/19

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:52 pm

Paul McCartney invited his friends Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic and Pat Smear to play with him through two encores at Safeco Field in Seattle, WA on July 19, 2013.

Helter Skelter:

phpBB [video]

And their original song Cut Me Some Slack:

phpBB [video]

Encore:
Day Tripper
Cut Me Some Slack (with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)
Get Back (with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)

Encore 2:
Yesterday
Long Tall Sally (with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)
Helter Skelter (with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)
Golden Slumbers (with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)
Carry That Weight (with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)
The End (with Dave Grohl, Krist Novoselic, Pat Smear)

Review:

http://www.seattlepi.com/lifestyle/blog ... 677085.php

Re: Paul McCartney & surviving members of Nirvana - Seattle

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:30 am

How cool to have been at this show. Kurt would have loved it. I think.

Re: Paul McCartney & surviving members of Nirvana - Seattle

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:19 am

Kurt Cobain was one of my all time musical heroes. I was crushed when he took his own life and I was devastated for his daughter and mother. I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard that he had died. Very similar to how I remember where I was and what I was doing when Elvis and John Lennon died.

Sadly, he made several disparaging remarks about Paul McCartney while he was still alive. In one of his last interviews with Rolling Stone he said that "Paul McCartney embarrasses me." This always troubled me because I always heard more of a Paul influence than a John influence in Kurt's songs; they were catchy, carefully constructed, melodic pop masterpieces. The word "grunge" was a misnomer as far as I was concerned.

Oh, yeah. John Lennon was definitely my favorite Beatle, hands down. I don't know who wrote what parts of what Beatles songs, but Paul McCartney embarrasses me.

I think that Kurt played into the idea that John was the only "cool" Beatle so declaring him as his favorite gained him instant credibility. McCartney was definitely not considered "cool" in the early '90s. Only recently has gained ground in the "credibility" department. Thank goodness for artists like Jack White who proudly declare McCartney as a major influence.

That's why I find it especially satisfying that McCartney has such a great rapport with the surviving members of Nirvana. Maybe McCartney will finally get his due as a "cool" Beatle.