Off Topic Messages

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:29 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:You're welcome.

Yes, it needed a LOT of work. Fine Recording were the top people in the business so it had nothing to do with technical problems on their end, their playing was a bit sloppy that night.

I don't think they even bothered trying to play propably that night. Who the hell was gonna notice if they played a wrong chord or sang one line slightly out of tune?

Having said that, they weren't the worlds greatest musicians...they've even admitted this themselves. But they didn't need to be...it was their incredible songwriting that made them.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:36 pm

They were very aware that it was being filmed and recorded. They were followed around that day with a hand-held camera.

I asked Bob if he enjoyed the concert. He said he couldn't see it, he was under the stage!

He was an amazing man: his first industry job was working for Charlie Chaplin. In 1945, he was one of two guys doing the 35mm optical playback for Larry Parks to lip sync to on THE JOLSON STORY.

He never worked with Elvis but said he heard good things about him from friends at the studios: very polite and professional, etc.

Bob was a wonderful gentleman. He gave me many artifacts from his life-long collection, including his personal script for THE EDDY DUCHIN STORY, autographed by Tyrone Power.

Sadly, he died from cancer 8 years ago.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:40 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:You're welcome.

Yes, it needed a LOT of work. Fine Recording were the top people in the business so it had nothing to do with technical problems on their end, their playing was a bit sloppy that night.

I don't think they even bothered trying to play propably that night. Who the hell was gonna notice if they played a wrong chord or sang one line slightly out of tune?

Having said that, they weren't the worlds greatest musicians...they've even admitted this themselves. But they didn't need to be...it was their incredible songwriting that made them.


It needs to be said that the Beatles never played a single show with monitors. Not one. And Shea Stadium had almost 56,000 people screaming at them for their entire set. Given all that, they did very well indeed. It is also the reason Ringo played few fills in this era. It would have thrown everyone off, because Starr could hardly hear the other three, and vice-versa.

Further, it is a fact the Beatles made their reputation first with their live shows, both in Germany and at home. Scholars point to some stunning gigs in December 1960, that apparently excited the teenagers to a point of near-hysteria, as early evidence of their skill and power. By the time of their EMI contract and single releases in late 1962, they had mastered the form.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:20 pm

Which is the best Beatles forum to join?

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:30 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Which is the best Beatles forum to join?


I don't know, there are many of them out there, one assumes. If you find one that's like FECC, let us know!

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:51 am

This one is excellent: http://www.beatlesbible.com/

And they love Elvis very, very much! :wink:

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:43 am

I'm pretty sure I have this if anyone is up for am old fashioned trade?

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:30 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:This one is excellent: http://www.beatlesbible.com/


What is being asked for is a forum similar to FECC. That site does not appear to be a discussion forum.

But it is excellent, as anyone may see by the many posts I make where I offer links to the site for further information on the Beatles.

For example, page 1 of this topic. ;-)

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:57 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:You're welcome.

Yes, it needed a LOT of work. Fine Recording were the top people in the business so it had nothing to do with technical problems on their end, their playing was a bit sloppy that night.


Yes, they were a bit sloppy and purely musically speaking the gig isn't that great. One of the reasons why they stopped touring as they stated themselfs was because they were getting sloppy musically. They couldn't hear themselfs because of the screaming and neither could the audience so why bother.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:This one is excellent: http://www.beatlesbible.com/


What is being asked for is a forum similar to FECC. That site does not appear to be a discussion forum.

But it is excellent, as anyone may see by the many posts I make where I offer links to the site for further information on the Beatles.

For example, page 1 of this topic. ;-)


I'd love to find a Beatles discussion board similar to FECC. I haven't come across one yet.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Try out these two beatle forums i've just found. They are disscussion boards like FECC.

www.dmbeatles.com
www.beatleforum.com

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:19 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Try out these two beatle forums i've just found. They are disscussion boards like FECC.

http://www.dmbeatles.com
http://www.beatleforum.com


The dmbeatles is the best one!

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:55 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Try out these two beatle forums i've just found. They are disscussion boards like FECC.

http://www.dmbeatles.com
http://www.beatleforum.com


The dmbeatles is the best one!


If HoneyTalkNelson signs up, so will I!

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Try out these two beatle forums i've just found. They are disscussion boards like FECC.

http://www.dmbeatles.com
http://www.beatleforum.com


The dmbeatles is the best one!


If HoneyTalkNelson signs up, so will I!

Actually, Doc i thought you would have been a member of a Beatles forum long ago or even started up one yourself. Is FECC the only forum your a member of?

Oh, that beatlesbible site you posted is cool. Just added it to my book marks.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:41 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Try out these two beatle forums i've just found. They are disscussion boards like FECC.

http://www.dmbeatles.com
http://www.beatleforum.com


The dmbeatles is the best one!


If HoneyTalkNelson signs up, so will I!

Actually, Doc i thought you would have been a member of a Beatles forum long ago or even started up one yourself. Is FECC the only forum your a member of?

Oh, that beatlesbible site you posted is cool. Just added it to my book marks.


FECC is the only home for me.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:57 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:Same hysteria at this concert...maybe even more so...the crowd NEVER lets up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXtwh9_7PuI


Actually, Elvis' concert craziness came 7 years before the Beatles, so the Shea Stadium show is similar to the clip you provide from the 4-02-1957 ES in Toronto (NOT from either 3-31-1957 Detroit show, despite what is written on the video).

However, Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens has a capacity of 15,700, while the 8-15-1965 Shea Stadium gig was sold out to the tune of 55,700 people, more than triple the audience. The hysteria, just by sheer numbers, is clearly greater in New York, and a clear-cut reason why it is still seen today as a benchmark.


It wasn't a benchmark according to Red Robinson, emcee for Elvis' show at Empire Stadium... 'That was the first time there was ever a performer in front of 26,000 people in a rented stadium'.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:16 am

jungleroombear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Actually, Elvis' concert craziness came 7 years before the Beatles, so the Shea Stadium show is similar to the clip you provide from the 4-02-1957 ES in Toronto (NOT from either 3-31-1957 Detroit show, despite what is written on the video).

However, Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens has a capacity of 15,700, while the 8-15-1965 Shea Stadium gig was sold out to the tune of 55,700 people, more than triple the audience. The hysteria, just by sheer numbers, is clearly greater in New York, and a clear-cut reason why it is still seen today as a benchmark.


It wasn't a benchmark according to Red Robinson, emcee for Elvis' show at Empire Stadium... 'That was the first time there was ever a performer in front of 26,000 people in a rented stadium'.


Robinson is not speaking of Shea Stadium in that quote, it hadn't happened yet, but only of the 1957 Presley show. Certainly if asked now about Shea he would agree with historians about the significance of the Beatles landmark appearance in New York.

And his facts from back then are incorrect, as Elvis played to about 16,500 that night in Vancouver. From 1957 Elvis concert scholar Alan Hanson's blog:

In 1957 Elvis performed 28 live stage shows in 18 cities and on one military post. It broke down like this: one show each in Chicago, St. Louis, Fort Wayne, Buffalo, Spokane, Vancouver B.C., Tacoma, Seattle, Portland, Tupelo, Oakland, and Schofield Barracks (Hawaii); two shows each in Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Honolulu; and four shows in Philadelphia. The biggest crowd he played to that year was in Vancouver, B.C., (16,500) and the smallest was in Philadelphia (3,200). The combined paid attendance for the 28 concerts was a little over 250,000. Although that represented unparalleled drawing power for those days, it didn’t satisfy Colonel Parker, who repeatedly exaggerated the crowd sizes in each city. His phony numbers are still being quoted today, but I tried to set the record straight in my book.

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/interview.html



Hope this helps.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 am

Hanson's book seems a little negative towards Elvis, but is still a good read about his 1957 shows.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:25 am

Hanson mentions in his book about the Colonel making the audience numbers "bigger" or hyping the shows up. For example the Buffalo show on April 1...there were 14,000 people that attended.... a sell out, even though Hanson claims that is was not....The guy I bought my unused ticket from WENT to that concert he was 17 at the time...he told me there wasn't an empty seat in the whole stadium as did Rich Consola, who also attended the show. There is a picture on the Scotty Moore site that shows the crowd and it looks pretty damn packed to me.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:39 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Hanson's book seems a little negative towards Elvis, but is still a good read about his 1957 shows.


Good read? It's an essential look at that year of touring, with more accurate information than anything I have ever seen in years of being a fan.

A little negative? Do you have his book? I do, I read it, and I detected not a note of negativity.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:55 am

Well...if I said it was a good read...of course I would have to own it...wouldn't I? Yeah...good read...I don't think it's the greatest...what do you want me to say....it's the greatest thing since sliced bread?

Well, yes...I do get a feel that there is a touch of negative about Elvis...on another Elvis site, they feel the same as I do.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:03 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Well...if I said it was a good read...of course I would have to own it...wouldn't I? Yeah...good read...I don't think it's the greatest...what do you want me to say....it's the greatest thing since sliced bread?


Some members here rant and rave about products they have never owned.

Fairchild1171 wrote:Well, yes...I do get a feel that there is a touch of negative about Elvis...


Do explain, since I perceive none at all, and consider Hanson a deeply devoted, very intelligent and measured Elvis fan.

Fairchild1171 wrote:... on another Elvis site, they feel the same as I do.


That may not be a good thing. ;-)

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:13 am

Sure it's a good thing...I don't agree with you and kiss your ass! 8)

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:52 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Sure it's a good thing...I don't agree with you and kiss your ass! 8)


You also don't answer direct questions, nor do you engage in civil discussions.

Keep reading my posts, you might learn something!

::rocks

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Actually, Elvis' concert craziness came 7 years before the Beatles, so the Shea Stadium show is similar to the clip you provide from the 4-02-1957 ES in Toronto (NOT from either 3-31-1957 Detroit show, despite what is written on the video).

However, Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens has a capacity of 15,700, while the 8-15-1965 Shea Stadium gig was sold out to the tune of 55,700 people, more than triple the audience. The hysteria, just by sheer numbers, is clearly greater in New York, and a clear-cut reason why it is still seen today as a benchmark.


It wasn't a benchmark according to Red Robinson, emcee for Elvis' show at Empire Stadium... 'That was the first time there was ever a performer in front of 26,000 people in a rented stadium'.


Robinson is not speaking of Shea Stadium in that quote, it hadn't happened yet, but only of the 1957 Presley show. Certainly if asked now about Shea he would agree with historians about the significance of the Beatles landmark appearance in New York.

And his facts from back then are incorrect, as Elvis played to about 16,500 that night in Vancouver. From 1957 Elvis concert scholar Alan Hanson's blog:

In 1957 Elvis performed 28 live stage shows in 18 cities and on one military post. It broke down like this: one show each in Chicago, St. Louis, Fort Wayne, Buffalo, Spokane, Vancouver B.C., Tacoma, Seattle, Portland, Tupelo, Oakland, and Schofield Barracks (Hawaii); two shows each in Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and Honolulu; and four shows in Philadelphia. The biggest crowd he played to that year was in Vancouver, B.C., (16,500) and the smallest was in Philadelphia (3,200). The combined paid attendance for the 28 concerts was a little over 250,000. Although that represented unparalleled drawing power for those days, it didn’t satisfy Colonel Parker, who repeatedly exaggerated the crowd sizes in each city. His phony numbers are still being quoted today, but I tried to set the record straight in my book.

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/interview.html



Hope this helps.

Surely, Elvis could've filled the Shea Stadium up in '57. The Colonel always booked him into relatively small venues, apart from some exceptions. You make more money from a 55/60 thousand audience than a 10/15 thousand. It's quite bizzare he didn't book him in more larger stadiums, the USA certainly had bigger venues. The recently discovered color footage from Hawaii, that's been doing the rounds at Graceland from the collection of Ken Moore. If you look at that footage more closely, you can see a hell of a lot of empty seats at the back. Though there were 15,000 people there, but they were actually on the football pitch and not in the actual seats of the stadium.