Off Topic Messages

The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:13 pm

As the whole Shea Stadium concert ever been released? From my understanding, the whole concert was filmed. I've only seen them doing "I'm Down" from this amazing concert. Would love to see the whole thing.

Re: The Beatles--Shea Stadium.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:20 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:As the whole Shea Stadium concert ever been released? From my understanding, the whole concert was filmed. I've only seen them doing "I'm Down" from this amazing concert. Would love to see the whole thing.

Which one? They did two:

15 August 1965: Live: Shea Stadium, New York | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1965/08/15/live-shea-stadium-new-york/

23 August 1966: Live: Shea Stadium, New York | The Beatles Bible
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/08/23/live-shea-stadium-new-york-2/

Actually, I know you speak of "The Beatles At Shea Stadium," the concert documentary of their ground-breaking, sold out 1965 stadium show, which aired on BBC1 in March 1966, and in the U.S. the following January.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058957/

The 1966 TV soundtrack and the original, undubbed 1965 board tape have been bootlegged, as well as the broadcast of the concert, on VHS and DVD. But nothing officially.

However ... I found the entire show online!

The Beatles Concert at Shea Stadium 1965 (entire show + bonus)
http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6413373fzZAYjdK

Enjoy!

Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:56 am

Well Doc, i didn't know they did two shows at the shea stadium. Will be checking out the links you've posted. Thanks again.

Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:07 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Well Doc, i didn't know they did two shows at the shea stadium. Will be checking out the links you've posted. Thanks again.

What about watching it?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Well Doc, i didn't know they did two shows at the shea stadium. Will be checking out the links you've posted. Thanks again.

What about watching it?

Just watched it. Excuse the language, but that was f**king INCREDIBLE!!!! What a show! Total madness! Imagine being there...the atmosphere must've been something else. A concert like that (first of it's kind) must've quite hard to comprehend for the four lads from Liverpool. More so for John, because i think he felt they couldn't hear them, where he got to the point of playing the keyboard with his elbows, he just went mad, not mentally ill, just caught up in the madness of it all.

I got an adrenalin rush just watching it, but being there, WOW!!

Nice to here them do "Baby's In Black" a very underrated gem.

I hope and pray that this gets an official DVD release in good quality.

Thanks for posting, Doc.

Oh, by the way, is the Shea Stadium still there?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What about watching it?

Just watched it. Excuse the language, but that was f**king INCREDIBLE!!!! What a show! Total madness! Imagine being there...the atmosphere must've been something else. A concert like that (first of it's kind) must've quite hard to comprehend for the four lads from Liverpool. More so for John, because i think he felt they couldn't hear them, where he got to the point of playing the keyboard with his elbows, he just went mad, not mentally ill, just caught up in the madness of it all.

Thanks for posting, Doc.

No, it was demolished in 2009. The site is now the car park of Citi Field, the stadium which replaced. it.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:13 am

If it does get an official release one day let's hope they'll include the two missing songs "She's A Woman" and the Carl Perkins Classic "Everybody's Tryin' To Be My Baby". There's probably more backstage footage than seen in this documentary.

I see they stayed at the Warwick Hotel for this visit, wonder if they were aware Elvis stayed there.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:19 am

Same hysteria at this concert...maybe even more so...the crowd NEVER lets up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXtwh9_7PuI

Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

What about watching it?

Thanks for posting, Doc.

It was an amazing concert, the first true stadium rock extravaganza. Less than 2 weeks later, they were guests at Elvis' house. Heady times indeed for the lads from Liverpool!

Let's hope someday it'll be on an official DVD.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:44 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Same hysteria at this concert...maybe even more so...the crowd NEVER lets up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXtwh9_7PuI

Actually, Elvis' concert craziness came 7 years before the Beatles, so the Shea Stadium show is similar to the clip you provide from the 4-02-1957 ES in Toronto (NOT from either 3-31-1957 Detroit show, despite what is written on the video).

However, Toronto's Maple Leaf Gardens has a capacity of 15,700, while the 8-15-1965 Shea Stadium gig was sold out to the tune of 55,700 people, more than triple the audience. The hysteria, just by sheer numbers, is clearly greater in New York, and a clear-cut reason why it is still seen today as a benchmark.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:06 am

Of course there were more people at the Beatles show...which Elvis broke at the Silverdome...but giving the difference in the size of the crowd...Elvis' show is just as impressive.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:37 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Of course there were more people at the Beatles show...which Elvis broke at the Silverdome...but giving the difference in the size of the crowd...Elvis' show is just as impressive.

Well, not really. Only hard-core Elvis fans know of the 1957 Toronto shows given by Presley. Shea is a milestone performance in rock 'n' roll history, written about and celebrated for over 45 years. As the first concert at a major stadium, it set attendance and revenue records, and set in motion the idea that outdoor concerts on a large scale could be successful and profitable.

It's too bad a film was not made of Presley's 10-11-1956 Cotton Bowl show -- he attracted 26,500 people that day, and it would be his largest concert crowd until the Houston shows in 1970. Elvis' Silverdome show in Pontiac on 12-31-1975, long after the stadium era had begun, did draw 62,500, but the Who pulled in 75,962 about three weeks earlier, on 12-06-1975.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:43 am

londonflash wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What about watching it?

Thanks for posting, Doc.

No, it was demolished in 2009. The site is now the car park of Citi Field, the stadium which replaced. it.

Yes, and McCartney was back for the last show at Shea Stadium, as a guest of Billy Joel. McCartney played the opening gig at Citi Field shortly after.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:13 am

Well, I couldn't hear ANY music whatsoever on that Toronto film. Nothing. Seeing as it *is* possible to pick up music beyond the screams, the fault is where it always is.

With zero audible music, and not even in a major U.S. city, it's no wonder it's lost to history.

Btw, there were outdoor NY venues at the time of his 3rd Sullivan show. (The first was disrupted by Ed's accident, and the left coast.) Wasn't even considered.

I guess the significance of an Elvis Presley performance varies INVERSELY with the probability of its being professionally filmed.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:Of course there were more people at the Beatles show...which Elvis broke at the Silverdome...but giving the difference in the size of the crowd...Elvis' show is just as impressive.

Whatever how much people were in the audience, the head-shaking dolls from Liverpool were a bunch of amateurs, as a live act. No charisma at all, and a clown sitting behind the drums.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:32 pm

nevermind wrote:

Whatever how much people were in the audience, the head-shaking dolls from Liverpool were a bunch of amateurs, as a live act. No charisma at all, and a clown sitting behind the drums.

They can't fool you!

Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:00 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:As the whole Shea Stadium concert ever been released? From my understanding, the whole concert was filmed. I've only seen them doing "I'm Down" from this amazing concert. Would love to see the whole thing.

The best source for the '65 Shea Stadium concert film is The Beatles Anthology dvd set which has several tracks (but not all) from the concert in great remastered sound and picture quality.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well, not really. Only hard-core Elvis fans know of the 1957 Toronto shows given by Presley. Shea is a milestone performance in rock 'n' roll history, written about and celebrated for over 45 years. As the first concert at a major stadium, it set attendance and revenue records, and set in motion the idea that outdoor concerts on a large scale could be successful and profitable.

It's too bad a film was not made of Presley's 10-11-1956 Cotton Bowl show -- he attracted 26,500 people that day, and it would be his largest concert crowd until the Houston shows in 1970. Elvis' Silverdome show in Pontiac on 12-31-1975, long after the stadium era had begun, did draw 62,500, but the Who pulled in 75,962 about three weeks earlier, on 12-06-1975.

Well, a decade or so later...Wrestlemania with Andre the Giant and Hulk hogan drew 90,000...but that doesn't mean it was any better. And as far as the Shea stadium concert, it may be celebrated by mop top fans, but not me. :lol:

Just compare the energy of both Elvis' and the Beatles performances on the Ed Sullivan show...to my ears and eyes...Elvis wins hands down. Although YMMV "Your mileage may vary"

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:40 pm

nevermind wrote:

Interesting you mention clown, when you have a KISS photo posted, the most ridiculous band there ever was. You must be really into them (clowns that is)

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:26 pm

r&b wrote:
nevermind wrote:

Interesting you mention clown, when you have a KISS photo posted, the most ridiculous band there ever was. You must be really into them (clowns that is)

With a reply like this, its clear you have no clue what you talking about. All of the three drummers that were/are in KISS could play drums. Especially Eric Carr. What was the name again from the beetles drummer? Dingo Star?

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:31 pm

My late friend Bob Eberenz was one of the recording engineers at Shea along with Bob Fine of Fine Recording in New York (Mercury Living Presence, Perspecta stereo, etc.)

He told me they set up multiple mikes throughout the stadium to record the crowd. As soon as the Beatles walked out, they realized they wouldn't need them and killed the feed. The stage microphones picked up enough screaming!

As it stands, even with the top guys in the business doing audio, the sound had to be sweetened in post. Ringo's ACT NATURALLY was unusable and had to be lifted off the studio master. I think some guitar parts had to be overdubbed as well and there were some sessions done at Abbey Road to fix the sound.

EDIT: Overdubs were not done at Abbey Road.

The picture was multi-camera 35mm and the final negative is in great shape. My brother did the restoration and I saw a new 35mm print about 15 years ago. It was stunning!
Last edited by HoneyTalkNelson on Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:My late friend Bob Eberenz was one of the recording engineers at Shea along with Bob Fine of Fine Recording in New York (Mercury Living Presence, Perspecta stereo, etc.)

He told me they set up multiple mikes throughout the stadium to record the crowd. As soon as the Beatles walked out, they realized they wouldn't need them and killed the feed. The stage microphones picked up enough screaming!

As it stands, even with the top guys in the business doing audio, the sound had to be sweetened in post. Ringo's ACT NATURALLY was unusable and had to be lifted off the studio master. I think some guitar parts had to be overdubbed as well and there were some sessions done at Abbey Road to fix the sound.

The picture was multi-camera 35mm and the final negative is in great shape. My brother did the restoration and I saw a new 35mm print about 15 years ago. It was stunning!

Very nice post. Thanks for the info. I guess the restored film was used in The Beatles Anthology series. It looks fantastic.

According to the book The Beatles Chronicle by Mark Lewinsohn The Beatles did repairs and re-recordings on the soundtrack at CTS Studios, London on 5 January 1966.

Paul overdubbed a new bass line to
- Dizzy Miss Lizzy
- Can't Buy Me Love
- Baby's In Black
- I'm Down (John also overdubbed a new organ track)

I Feel Fine and Help were re-recorded.

Ticket To Ride received some overdubs.

Act Naturally was replaced with the original studio master. And finally an unreleased live recording of Twist and Shout from a concert at Hollywood Bowl on 30 August 1965 was used to bolster the original Shea Stadium recording. The Hollywood Bowl recording was also used to get the audience screaming specially on the two new recordings.

She's A Woman and Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby were left intact probably because they were already dropped from the film.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:59 pm

You're welcome.

Yes, it needed a LOT of work. Fine Recording were the top people in the business so it had nothing to do with technical problems on their end, their playing was a bit sloppy that night.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:13 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:My late friend Bob Eberenz was one of the recording engineers at Shea along with Bob Fine of Fine Recording in New York (Mercury Living Presence, Perspecta stereo, etc.)

Nice info, thanks.

Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 pm

All very good and true. The audio overdub session -- in January 1966 at Cine Tele Sound Studios in London -- was the only work the Beatles did in-between cutting the wonderful Rubber Soul tracks along with a #1 single ("Day Tripper"/ "We Can Work It Out"), and starting the momentous sessions for Revolver and a fresh single ("Paperback Writer" / "Rain").

5 January 1966: Recording: overdubs for The Beatles At Shea Stadium
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1966/01/05/recording-overdubs-for-the-beatles-at-shea-stadium/

Maybe someday an official DVD will be made available for fans.