Off Topic Messages

I met an interesting lady with an Elvis connection today

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:15 am

As many of you know I am a full time entertainer. I also note that I am not an ETA. I spend my weekdays entertaining some great people at assisted living facilities. I meet many great people in my travels and have seen some wonderful things.

Today I visited one of my regular stops. One resident there simply loves Elvis. He seems to know so many songs you'd never get a request for. He asks for many songs and I comply. Songs like Ask Me, Ain't that Lovin' You baby, Crawfish, I Was The One, Happy Ending, Doing The Best I Can and many, many others have been requested by him. Needless to say I enjoy seeing him whenever I go there. We spend extra time talking and singing Elvis tunes.

Today was one of those days and it had an extra special twist at the end of my performance.

When I finished my set and was talking to my friend Joe an elderly lady came up to me to compliment my delivery of the Elvis tunes we did . She paid me a great compliment saying that she enjoyed the way I did not try to impersonate Elvis but rather embodied the way Elvis sang the songs and delivered them vocally. To me that was enough to make my day. She also seemed to have a pretty good knowledge of Elvis & his music.

As our conversation progressed she told me that her son had made an Elvis documentary film. I asked her to tell me more never figuring it was a major documentary.

She asked if I had heard of THAT'S THE WAY IT IS and I acknowledged I had-turns out her son is Rick Schmidlin. I was aware that Schmidlin lived about 45 minutes from me at one point in his life. She told stories of how Rick loved Elvis as a young boy and how music was a big part of their world. She said they had a 13 room house and there would be days when the house would be quiet until evening when musicians who stayed there would wake and start making music. Apparently Rick worked on the road for some rock bands in his younger days.

She mentioned that he now lives in Nova Scotia and I asked if he should ever come to visit could they call me so I could meet him. She said she definitely would try.

We spent at least another 30 minutes talking about Elvis and music- just her, Joe & me. A simply wonderful and very surprising day indeed.

I love what I do and days like this just make it better. You never know who you may meet and whose life path you may cross.
Last edited by Greybeard on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: I met an interesting lady with an Elvis connection today

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:18 am

Beautiful story, my friend.

Keep on doing what you're doing.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:52 am

Cool story! Thanks for sharing it.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:23 am

Greybeard wrote:As many of you know I am a full time entertainer. I also note that I am not an ETA. I spend my weekdays entertaining some great people at assisted living facilities. I meet many great people in my travels and have seen some wonderful things.

Today I visited one of my regular stops. One resident there simply loves Elvis. He seems to know so many songs you'd never get a request for. He asks for many songs and I comply. Songs like Ask Me, Ain't that Lovin' You baby, Crawfish, I Was The One, Happy Ending, Doing The Best I Can and many, many others have been requested by him. Needless to say I enjoy seeing him whenever I go there. We spend extra time talking and singing Elvis tunes.

Today was one of those days and it had an extra special twist at the end of my performance.

When I finished my set and was talking to my friend Joe an elderly lady came up to me to compliment my delivery of the Elvis tunes we did . She paid me a great compliment saying that she enjoyed the way I did not try to impersonate Elvis but rather embodied the way Elvis sang the songs and delivered them vocally. To me that was enough to make my day. She also seemed to have a pretty good knowledge of Elvis & his music.

As our conversation progressed she told me that her son had made an Elvis documentary film. I asked her to tell me more never figuring it was a major documentary.

She asked if I had heard of THAT'S THE WAY IT IS and I acknowledged I had-turns out her son is Rick Schmidlin. I was aware that Schmidlin lived about 45 minutes from me at one point in his life. She told stories of how Rick loved Elvis as a young boy and how music was a big part of their world. She said they had a 13 room house and there would be days when the house would be quiet until evening when musicians who stayed there would wake and start making music. Apparently Rick worked on the road for some rock bands in his younger days.

She mentioned that he now lives in Nova Scotia and I asked if he should ever come to visit could they call me so I could meet him. She said she definitely would try.

We spent at least another 30 minutes talking about Elvis and music- just her, Joe & me. A simply wonderful and very surprising day indeed.

I love what I do and days like this just make it better. You never know who you may meet and whose life path you may cross.

Post of the week! What a terrific anecdote. Please let us know if you ever hook up with Rick.

And I happen to know that your performances of Elvis' songs are always absolutely superb -- and the joy you deliver in your job is something to truly envy.

Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:16 am

Thanks George,great story

Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:47 am

A great story, many thanks for sharing.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 am

Brilliant.......a small world isn't it?

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:54 am

I like to reading this one. Thanks a lot for posting.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:31 am

Cool story, thanks for the post.

Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Cool story. Thanks 8)

Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:41 pm

Thanks for sharing this story with us, greybeard! ::rocks

Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:54 pm

Fantastic read ! cheers for sharing !!!