Off Topic Messages

The source of knowledge

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:38 pm

It is in my eyes astonishing how fast answers, dates and facts to many posts where written. The dates of the many sadly undated pictures are following by facts with sources and the rectification of falsities.

That is for me so astonishing because I must search in my books and on other websites. That is a lot of work and I hate this thing.

So my question to all the experts on the subject:
How do you this? Can you explain how you manage this mountain of information about Elvis and find an answer so quickly? Have you big databases on your machines or many folders to look in? I have no ideas how I could handle such things.

Re: The source of knowledge

Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

Winston wrote:It is in my eyes astonishing how fast answers, dates and facts to many posts where written. The dates of the many sadly undated pictures are following by facts with sources and the rectification of falsities.

That is for me so astonishing because I must search in my books and on other websites. That is a lot of work and I hate this thing.

How do you this? Can you explain how you manage this mountain of information about Elvis and find an answer so quickly? Have you big databases on your machines or many folders to look in? I have no ideas how I could handle such things.

Google-ing is not that difficult :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58 pm

I can't speak for others, but I have been collecting information in books, articles, microfilm, since before he died. I have well over 300 books just about him.

The Internet is also very handy!

Some scan paper into their computers, buy the Kindle versions, or use additional filing systems. I have several thick manilla envelopes of photocopies and microfilms.

Some people are more orderly than others. I need better order. But I do okay.

After so many years, you remember a lot. It becomes second nature. Always good to recheck though.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:44 pm

Thanks a lot. Sadly there is no big interest in the Thread. :(

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:22 pm

Winston wrote:It is in my eyes astonishing how fast answers, dates and facts to many posts where written. The dates of the many sadly undated pictures are following by facts with sources and the rectification of falsities.

Winston, some members of this forum are dedicated fans with many years of deep interest in the life and career of Elvis Presley. So questions new to you are often ones that they have known the answer to for years. That's often why they come to you so quickly.

Now, you will sometimes hear other members jealously cite "Google" as the source, such as the above example, but what they fail to understand or acknowledge is that use of this tool is not a "magic wand." It takes a great deal of accumulated knowledge to research the internet, uncover and then evaluate the data, and properly determine what is true. Luckily, we have several members who are able to do just that, and they are extremely generous in sharing what they turn up.

In other cases, some do have excellent archives (digital and print) which they are kind enough to refer to in answering questions.

It is this unselfishness in both time and effort that makes the FECC forum #1, and always worth a visit.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:17 pm

i do have a concert database. IT comes handy to date concert photos.

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/concerts/dbsearch.php

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Francesc wrote:I do have a concert database. IT comes handy to date concert photos.

Stop being so modest. That database of yours is fantastic. I have used it many times myself.

It took a lot of work and you should be proud of it.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:34 pm

Rob wrote:
Francesc wrote:I do have a concert database. IT comes handy to date concert photos.

Stop being so modest. That database of yours is fantastic. I have used it many times myself.

It is a terrific resource.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Rob wrote:

I am proud. :D Now that they have finished my college semester (whyyy I went back to College at my age :facep: ) I would have more time to update all the cds and different little things here and there.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Thanks. Tons of people have helped one way or another.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:10 am

Francesc wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

I love it! All those reviews! I remember spending stuffy, airless days in library basements, seeking (and often not finding) just the reviews you have posted!

Thank you for this work, and good luck with your studies! Always nice to hear!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 am

I thank you so much for your works and the answers. :smt007

Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:17 am

Francesc wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

A fantastic site, full to the top with usflul information,have used the site for years

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Winston wrote:I thank you so much for your works and the answers. :smt007

You are most welcome.

And don't let the few "bad eggs" on this forum bother you. Most members are great and generous fans. ;-)

Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

+1