Off Topic Messages

Beatles Support act sing Elvis Australia 1964

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:02 am

Just came across this on youtube. The Beatles 1964 Australian tour final concert with 2 support acts who sing Elvis songs. The 1st act "Johnny Devlin" sings C'mon Everybody (yes the Elvis one & not the Eddie Cochran song !) - Wha't I Say - Jailhouse Rock. The 2nd act "Johnny Chester" sings Baby I Don't Care - Fever - Party (& also Little Richards Miss Ann).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiEDsJz9yQ8

Re: Beatles Support act sing Elvis Australia 1964

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:13 am

Eap3577 wrote:Just came across this on youtube. The Beatles 1964 Australian tour final concert with 2 support acts who sing Elvis songs. The 1st act "Johnny Devlin" sings C'mon Everybody (yes the Elvis one & not the Eddie Cochran song !) - Wha't I Say - Jailhouse Rock. The 2nd act "Johnny Chester" sings Baby I Don't Care - Fever - Party (& also Little Richards Miss Ann).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiEDsJz9yQ8

"Viva Las Vegas" must have been doing very well down under in the summer of '64.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 am

Nice find! Fist ever cover of "C'mon Everybody" I've ever heard to date.
Nice version, although singing "Lova Me Baby, while the backups are singing "Lova My baby, is a bit annoying.
Couldn't the guy just change accent for just one 2-letter word? :roll:

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:47 pm

I found that annoying too. The crowd loved it though.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:21 pm

Just saw the whole show, that band at the Start they really good ! great groove ;) , only the great UK band The Shadows were missing there....
Love those suites too ;)

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:25 pm

What'd I Say is not an Elvis song. He covered it but in the spirit of 64 and Viva Las Vegas, I see your point but to me the song belongs 100% to Ray Charles. I never liked Elvis' version of it. I prefer (next to Ray) JLL or Darin's version.