Off Topic Messages

Led Zeppelin 'C'mon Everybody' live 1970

Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:49 pm

I love it when Zeppelin covers their idols

phpBB [video]

Re: Led Zeppelin 'C'mon Everybody' live 1970

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:40 pm

What a terrible version.

It sounds nothing like it. For a start it would help if he sang the correct lyrics:

Come on everybody and snap your fingers now
Come on everybody clap your hands real loud
Come on everybody take a real deep breath
And repeat after me
I love-a my baby
I love-a my baby
Hey, hey, hey and my baby loves me

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Led Zeppelin loved Elvis very, very much.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:39 pm

Mike S wrote:What a terrible version.

It sounds nothing like it. For a start it would help if he sang the correct lyrics:

Come on everybody and snap your fingers now
Come on everybody clap your hands real loud
Come on everybody take a real deep breath
And repeat after me
I love-a my baby
I love-a my baby
Hey, hey, hey and my baby loves me

Thanks for your very kind and thoughtful insight. It's not supposed to sound like the original version..it's the Led Zeppelin version.

Who cares if the lyrics aren't right. They don't have the same haircuts or dress like Eddie Cochran either.

But wait there's more! They didn't exactly carbon copy this Ritchie Valens song, *plus* they changed the title. Is that okay with you?

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:35 pm

It is significant when such a great and celebrated band pays homage to Elvis in grand, public fashion. And they did so more often than not.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I knew there was something weird going on here...

You guys do understand that this is not a cover of the Elvis song from 'Viva Las Vegas', this is Zep's cover of the Eddie Cochran 'C'mon Everybody' which happens to have the same title, but is a different song entirely.

phpBB [video]

...and just for the record Humble Pie covered it in the 70s as well.

phpBB [video]

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:58 pm

Ah, I thought they did a medley of both of them. Ex-Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious also covered the Cochran classic.

phpBB [video]

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:08 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Ah, I thought they did a medley of both of them. Ex-Sex Pistols bassist Sid Vicious also covered the Cochran classic.

phpBB [video]

Ah...Sid. Wow, I haven't really looked at any footage of him in quite some time. Now that I'm older he looks so much younger, which underscores how messed up a kid he was. Only 22. Same age that Cochran died at coincidentally, although I think he had more control over his life than Sid did. Walking around with a sawstika on you're shirt...not a real good look.

He also covered Cochran's 'Something Else'. Impressive musical tastes for a kid that was on the fast track to nowhere, or as his band mate John once said about him..."misunderstood".

phpBB [video]

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Cochran was about 21 and 6 months when he died, Vicious 21 and 9 months. Sad.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:03 am

intheghetto wrote:
Mike S wrote:What a terrible version.

Thanks for your very kind and thoughtful insight.

Don't mention it.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:22 am

My feeling is the 1958 Cochran original is the classic of the two, although I do very much like Elvis' 1963 master.

A key expression of all the great British Invasion bands and musicians who grew up in the 1950s is their unabashed love of the 1950s music that inspired them. That's why Led Zeppelin gave Eddie's tune an airing for their fans -- it was fun, but it was also a reminder that great rock 'n' roll did not begin in 1969. I'm pretty sure this clip is part of an encore, as this is where the band usually paid tribute.

Note the second greatest band to come out of the 1960s, the Who, covered Cochran quite a bit, from "My Way" (yes, Eddie's wonderful rocker) to "Summertime Blues."

Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:My feeling is the 1958 Cochran original is the classic of the two, although I do very much like Elvis' 1963 master.

Wait, are you saying that Elvis did a version of the Cochran song or are you still referring to the other 'C'mon Everybody' from VLV?

drjohncarpenter wrote:A key expression of all the great British Invasion bands and musicians who grew up in the 1950s is their unabashed love of the 1950s music that inspired them. That's why Led Zeppelin gave Eddie's tune an airing for their fans -- it was fun, but it was also a reminder that great rock 'n' roll did not begin in 1969. I'm pretty sure this clip is part of an encore, as this is where the band usually paid tribute.

The clip is from a show the band did at the Royal Albert Hall January 9,1970 only a few months after Led Zeppelin II was released, and is found-the show in it's entirety on the 'Led Zeppelin DVD' that came out in 2003. There are also several other Zep performances on that same DVD, over 5 hours of stuff. Totally worth getting.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:41 pm

I really enjoy their version of "Somethin' Else" from the BBC Sessions - it's fantastic.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:46 pm

Started to re-visit the 'Led Zeppelin DVD' from 2003, been sitting on my shelf too long. Forgot how amazing the '75 Earl's Court stuff was.

One of my all time fave Zep songs and this an amazing delivery of it.

phpBB [video]

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Same here . . . I finally watched it again for the 2nd time earlier this year.

If the entire show was captured (or even most of it), they should do a complete DVD release of Earl's Court. Really liked the acoustic performances, too.