Off Topic Messages

The Beatles' Defining Moment (Hint: It's Not 'Sgt. Pepper')

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:14 pm

by NPR STAFF

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/16/191705940/bbc-beatles-on-wesunt

Checkout the cover of "That's All right Mama"

Re: The Beatles' Defining Moment (Hint: It's Not 'Sgt. Peppe

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:49 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:by NPR STAFF
630219_Beatles_Victoria Monument_Liverpool_Michael Ward.JPG

http://www.npr.org/2013/06/16/191705940/bbc-beatles-on-wesunt

Checkout the cover of "That's All right Mama"

The Beatles' cover of Sun 209 is a superb example of honoring their hero, without being slavish imitators. Paul handles the lead vocals, and George's solos are a fine homage to the great Scotty Moore.

phpBB [video]

The Beatles "That's All Right" (BBC Radio, Maida Vale Studios, London, Tuesday, July 2, 1963)
Broadcast: "Pop Go The Beatles," Tuesday, July 16, 1963)
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/thats-all-right-mama/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_at_the_BBC_(The_Beatles_album)

The NPR article is a very thoughtful look at the Beatles in 1963, and their extensive radio performances that year. I've long argued that the group were masters of the form by mid-1962, with "Some Other Guy" (live at the Cavern Club, August 22) and "Please Please Me" (taped at EMI, November 26) as two excellent examples. Each year, from 1963 to 1970 may be well-argued as their defining moment, that's how good they were, although I would suggest the period in the studio from October 1965 to June 1966 ("Day Tripper"/"We Can Work It Out," Rubber Soul, "Paperback Writer"/"Rain," Revolver) is unmatched by any rock 'n' roll artist, then or now, in every respect.

See -->
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1962/08/22/live-cavern-club-liverpool-218-beatles-first-television-appearance/
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1962/11/26/recording-please-please-me-single/
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/day-tripper/
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/we-can-work-it-out/
http://www.beatlesbible.com/albums/rubber-soul/
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/paperback-writer/
http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/rain/
http://www.beatlesbible.com/albums/revolver/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Fantastic recording by the Beatles, love it

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:42 pm

california boy wrote:Fantastic recording by the Beatles, love it

Me too!

They loved Elvis very, very much. And he loved them very, very much!

Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:00 am

IIRC, wasn't on the official BBC CD's a recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" also?

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:02 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, wasn't on the official BBC CD's a recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" also?

Yes, sung by George in heartfelt fashion. There's also John singing the Presley arrangement of "I Got A Woman," right down to the blues vamp ending. It's no wonder that the 2xCD set topped the charts back in 1994.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:40 pm

Those BBC recordings are a true treasure. I remember being blown away when I first got to hear many of them on bootlegs. The '94 cd-release is great and it was such a thrill finally have some new material from Fab Four. Little did I know that in few years we would have wealth of material on Anthology releases. Mid 90's was a great time for Beatle-people.
Last edited by Marko on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:42 pm

When they broke up !!!

Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:IIRC, wasn't on the official BBC CD's a recording of "I Forgot To Remember To Forget" also?

Yes, sung by George in heartfelt fashion. There's also John singing the Presley arrangement of "I Got A Woman," right down to the blues vamp ending. It's no wonder that the 2xCD set topped the charts back in 1994.

It's a cool rendition from George. Kind of makes me wish that he would've covered that track on For Sale album instead of Carl Perkin's Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby which I have never been very fond of.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:25 pm

Marko wrote:Those BBC recordings are a true treasure. I remember being blown away when I first got to hear many of them on bootlegs. The '94 cd-release is great and it was such a thrill finally have some new material from Fab Four. Little did I know that in few years we would have wealth of material on Anthology releases. Mid 90's was a great time for Beatle-people.

It was pretty cool to walk into a store in 1994, 1995 and 1996 and ask, "Where is the NEW Beatles album?"

And then go home and listen to a double CD filled with incredible Beatles music.

Good times.

Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It's a cool rendition from George. Kind of makes me wish that he would've covered that track on For Sale album instead of Carl Perkin's Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby which I have never been very fond of.

It seems the Beatles (wisely) made an executive decision to make most of their officially-released covers more obscure, although it's clear that they could've easily taped some very nice Presley tunes, had they chosen.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:00 am

This is amazing.!

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Marko wrote:Those BBC recordings are a true treasure. I remember being blown away when I first got to hear many of them on bootlegs. The '94 cd-release is great and it was such a thrill finally have some new material from Fab Four. Little did I know that in few years we would have wealth of material on Anthology releases. Mid 90's was a great time for Beatle-people.

It was pretty cool to walk into a store in 1994, 1995 and 1996 and ask, "Where is the NEW Beatles album?"

And then go home and listen to a double CD filled with incredible Beatles music.

Good times.

Still recall when I walked into a store in 1995 and "Hallelujah, I Love Her So" and "You'll Be Mine" screamed out of the speakers. My first thought was: "WHAT THE **** IS THAT???". Within a few minutes I was smarter... :wink:
Cherished memories.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:07 am

Oh, it was a great time. I knew the release date for Anthology 1 and went into local record store to get it. Well, they didn't have it and promised that it would get there tomorrow. It didn't and I think I went back there 2 or 3 times before they finally had it.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It seems the Beatles (wisely) made an executive decision to make most of their officially-released covers more obscure, although it's clear that they could've easily taped some very nice Presley tunes, had they chosen.

I think it stems from the same reason why they wrote they own material. In the early days in Liverpool there would be several groups performing in one show and everyone would do pretty much the same well known songs. In order to stand out you needed your own material. Hence the obscure b-side covers and own compositions.

When they started recording John and Paul would give George and Ringo material which they themselfs didn't consider really good. Sometimes they did odd choises for themselfs too (Mr Moonlight on For Sale is pretty bad and I can't stand Paul's Till There Was You). IMO the majority of the songs George sang on the albums 1963-1964 were forgettable save for Chuck Berry cover Roll Over Beethoven.

Here is the suberb I Got A Woman sang by John.

phpBB [video]

And I Forgot To Remember To Forget sang by George which includes very nice guitar work.

phpBB [video]

And speaking of great Elvis covers, they also did great job on I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You sang by John which of course was heard on the BBC cd too.

phpBB [video]

Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:40 am

Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

I think it stems from the same reason why they wrote they own material. In the early days in Liverpool there would be several groups performing in one show and everyone would do pretty much the same well known songs. In order to stand out you needed your own material. Hence the obscure b-side covers and own compositions.

When they started recording John and Paul would give George and Ringo material which they themselfs didn't consider really good. Sometimes they did odd choises for themselfs too (Mr Moonlight on For Sale is pretty bad and I can't stand Paul's Till There Was You). IMO the majority of the songs George sang on the albums 1963-1964 were forgettable save for Chuck Berry cover Roll Over Beethoven.

phpBB [video]

And I Forgot To Remember To Forget sang by George which includes very nice guitar work.

phpBB [video]

And speaking of great Elvis covers, they also did great job on I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry Over You sang by John which of course was heard on the BBC cd too.

phpBB [video]

George's first published original, "Don't Bother Me," is a fantastic piece of rock 'n' roll. And so cheeky!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: ... They loved Elvis very, very much. And he loved them very, very much! ...

:mrgreen: :smt003

Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:13 am

Winston wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: ... They loved Elvis very, very much. And he loved them very, very much! ...

:mrgreen: :smt003

I'm not kidding! The evidence speaks for itself.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:43 pm

The double CD "Beatles live at the BBC" is a great insight into the songs they were doing in the Cavern Club and in Hamburg, before they started taking songwriting very seriously. Each week on the radio they performed their lastest hit and did cover versions of their favourite songs to fill radio time. But i have to say that George Harrisons guitar playing is a bit dodgy at times. But this double CD is essential, because it completes more of the Beatle story.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Marko wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

George's first published original, "Don't Bother Me," is a fantastic piece of rock 'n' roll. And so cheeky!

Love it! One of my favourite Harrison tunes.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Marko wrote: I can't stand Paul's Till There Was You

FTR, he didn't write that, it was a cover.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:47 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:The double CD "Beatles live at the BBC" is a great insight into the songs they were doing in the Cavern Club and in Hamburg, before they started taking songwriting very seriously. Each week on the radio they performed their lastest hit and did cover versions of their favourite songs to fill radio time. But i have to say that George Harrisons guitar playing is a bit dodgy at times. But this double CD is essential, because it completes more of the Beatle story.

Harrison definitely grew as a guitarist. Note that the 1963 BBC cuts were taped when he was just 20 years old.

The BBC set is almost like getting two, new early Beatles albums. It is such a gift. And solid proof they had mastered the art of rock 'n' roll by 1963.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:16 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:
Marko wrote: I can't stand Paul's Till There Was You

FTR, he didn't write that, it was a cover.

No, he didn't and I don't dislike the song per se. It's Paul's performance of the song that I'm not fan of. IMO it's just didn't fit his voice or the style of the Beatles. Should've been more accurate in my post.

I thought Peggy Lee did a wonderful job on the song

phpBB [video]

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:20 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Love it! One of my favourite Harrison tunes.

Not my favourite Harrison composition but it was a fine job considering it was his first effort on songwriting (apart from, of course, the instrumental Cry For A Shadow). IMO George started blossom as a songwriter from 1965 onwards.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:The double CD "Beatles live at the BBC" is a great insight into the songs they were doing in the Cavern Club and in Hamburg, before they started taking songwriting very seriously. Each week on the radio they performed their lastest hit and did cover versions of their favourite songs to fill radio time. But i have to say that George Harrisons guitar playing is a bit dodgy at times. But this double CD is essential, because it completes more of the Beatle story.

Harrison definitely grew as a guitarist. Note that the 1963 BBC cuts were taped when he was just 20 years old.

The BBC set is almost like getting two, new early Beatles albums. It is such a gift. And solid proof they had mastered the art of rock 'n' roll by 1963.

True even though the recordings in a BBC studio never quite captured the energy and feeling of live performances as demonstrated on the December 1962 Hamburg recordings. But it was fantastic to get so many unheard Beatles performances in a decent sound quality. Like I said before it's a true treasure.