Off Topic Messages

Re: What "out of character" albums do you dig?

Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:34 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Hmm, I guess I am not talking with audiophiles here...

I always thought reel to reels had the best sounds. They made me go 'Wow'! I have many tapes left, but no longer have a player. Only knock on them, they were cumbersome and a pain to set up, but the sound was amazing.

Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm

I agree. I recently had some friends visiting and played an original Pete Fountain reel to reel on Coral from 1959. They were blown away and commented that it sounded like the band was in the room.

Yes, the original analogue can sound THAT good!

Of course, the trick is finding a 50+ year old tape that's been stored properly and mastered well. But when you do, you can put on a stereophonic reel to reel from 1955 that will knock your socks off. The audiophile community knows this. Check out the prices that some of the Mercury Living Presence and RCA Living Stereo tapes get now on eBay.

Last night, I played a mint first edition pressing of an early sixties Slim Whitman album on Liberty. Again, it was far superior to hearing the same recording mastered on CD.

And this is coming from a guy with (at least) five RIAA gold awards for CD releases to his credit.

I may have more, but haven't checked in a while.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:56 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Oh yes, the CD's sound harsh and unnatural compared to the original vinyl (in great shape) and reel to reel tapes.

It's really quite amazing how 50 to 60 year old audio technology is SO much better than what we are hearing today!

Steve Hoffman-mastered CDs usually sound pretty good, as do things like that Capitol Collectors series from the early 1990s that your brother worked on. The Bear Family label out of Germany also masters their audio with care. And Sebastian Jeansson's mastering work for FTD is superb, the audio on 2012's A Boy From Tupelo is but one of many examples of his keen ear and sharp skills.

So, audio really depends on the source, although in general, big companies do not adhere to the digital aesthetics that guide the above parties.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:24 am

Naturally, there are exceptions and there are good CD's out there.

However, the best of them still do not sound as good as the original pressings, partly due to the digital technology and also from the degradation of the original tapes.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:19 am

It's all a matter of taste. Whereas a CD can possibly bring out details not heard elsewhere, it can also take away some of the warmth. Without superb equipment, it probably doesn't matter either way what medium we use, but I can understand people's fondness for the vinyl sound. Mum recently got given a 1960s radiogram, for example, and the sound is very different to that which comes out of modern day speakers.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:56 am

No they have never heard how clean an old reel to reel master tape sounds over it's digital transfer of the same tape.Or even a nm 1st issue lp from the original tape. Artists even say my new record not my new cd yet most still release them on cd even if they say record.Isn't a tape recorded on analogue even by new artists 0f 2013 and it's made into a digital transfer? You see lots of newer artists are putting it out on record.Records sound better if u have a record by the artist and the same record on cd listen to see which sounds best. Even 78s that are 80-to 100 yr old still survive think cd will survive for 100 yrs? Its hard to say which ones i like cause i like so much. One new album to listen to is Bridgit Mendler Hello my name is i really dig that one.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 am

I like Marty Robbins' albums "By The Time I Get To Phoenix", "Marty After Midnight" and "Turn Your Lights Down Low" very much.

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:19 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Fantastic, thank you. Truth be told, I'd rather have an original vinyl in great shape than a CD. I've got a 1961 Fisher amp and a pair of 1956 Altec speakers and the analogue sounds SO good, it's hard listening to anything digital now.

I think I understand what you are saying (in this and in the other posts). I have a 1961 jukebox, and some records sound so extremely good in it, it just doesn't compare to the same song on CD. 'Beyond The Sea' and 'The Summer Wind' (tho from 66) are among my favourites, the sound is so ... I can't even describe it! It's simply amazing, the warmth, it is all around you. Like I said, I can't describe it, maybe it has a lot to do with a certain feeling you get.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:27 am

bob it's tubes.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:08 pm

"The Velvet Underground", by The Velvet Underground (M-G-M, 1969).

So different from their two previous, and first, albums - but just as lethal.

The first four songs of the album, "Candy Says", "What Goes On", "Some Kinda Love" and "Pale Blue Eyes", are ultra-classic VU, especially the latter, which features, as Lou Reed would say, sterling guitar from Sterling Morrison.

"Beginning To See The Light" is a highlight too. As is "After Hours", sung by drummer Maureen Tucker.

Gee, I wish I hadnĀ“t heard about her current activities.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Mister Moon on Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:41 pm

THE WHOLE ENCHILADA by the great Trini Lopez, produced by Boyce and Hart in 1969, is a gem. Here are two of my favorites.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

And from 1970, another Lopez classic:

phpBB [video]

Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:31 am

Michael Bolton - 'My secret passion'

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:35 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Oh yes, the CD's sound harsh and unnatural compared to the original vinyl (in great shape) and reel to reel tapes.

It's really quite amazing how 50 to 60 year old audio technology is SO much better than what we are hearing today!

I think the harsh and clattery CD sound is more a relic of the 1980s. Recent remasters often sound truly superb and warm, and incomparable to anything in the past.

I just worry that contemporary hit music is being mastered for compressed MP3 type formats, and that the age of improvement is nearing an end due to the music delivery systems now employed. It's all boom boom and bombast in contemporary music, and compression and downloadong new songs has a lot to do with it. But, for those of us who enjoy music of the "Golden Age," I think this is the best time. For now.

rjm

Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:23 pm

Talking of CD sounds, I recently picked up the Eddie Cochran entry in the 20th Century Legends series from EMI and thought the sound was stunning compared to other releases of the same material. Also from Capitol/EMI, the "Spotlight" series from the early 1990s were pretty good too - maybe a little bright for some tastes, but much better than what had come before.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:44 pm

George Michael's 1996 album 'Older'.

Nearly every track i like, especially 'Jesus to a Child'. One of the best songs he wrote.

Sold 15 million copies and produced 2 No. 1 singles.