Off Topic Messages

For Dutch fans: visiting Memphis, Graceland

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Hi all,

in the near future i want to visit Memphis and Graceland. Are there fan clubs or travel agencies specialized in this? If so, which club or organization would that be? And what would the costs be? Thanks.

Re: For Dutch fans: visiting Memphis, Graceland

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Check 'it's Elvis time' or 'Elvis matters'.
A lot of experience in organizing trips...

I went a few times on personal travel but if you want to join a group these are the ones.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Thanks Robert. How was your experience traveling on your own? How did you go about it? I don't mind a group but i want to go during the colder months. I will check them out tho. Really, really want to go.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 pm

The fanclubs only travel during Elvis week, which is the hottest time in Memphis. In May you have the Memphis in May festival which might be an additional reason to visit. I think KLM has direct flights to Memphis. I traveled to Memphis with my family in 2007, we stayed at the wonderful 'sleep inn' in downtown Memphis. This was really close to a trolley stop. ( the trolley makes a loop around downtown, taking you anywhere for 50 cents or something) You could also stay closer to Graceland (which is about 10 miles from downtown) and stay at The Heartbreak Hotel or one of the other motels in the neighbourhood. Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a wonderful time. Memphis is a great city and the people are really friendly and helpful. Hope you'll have a wonderfull trip.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:51 pm

Pink&Black wrote:The fanclubs only travel during Elvis week, which is the hottest time in Memphis. In May you have the Memphis in May festival which might be an additional reason to visit. I think KLM has direct flights to Memphis. I traveled to Memphis with my family in 2007, we stayed at the wonderful 'sleep inn' in downtown Memphis. This was really close to a trolley stop. ( the trolley makes a loop around downtown, taking you anywhere for 50 cents or something) You could also stay closer to Graceland (which is about 10 miles from downtown) and stay at The Heartbreak Hotel or one of the other motels in the neighbourhood. Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a wonderful time. Memphis is a great city and the people are really friendly and helpful. Hope you'll have a wonderfull trip.

Good to read that you had a great time. Thanks for the additional tips and information. It looks like making your own trip is the way to go for me. The information on the trolley is very handy indeed!

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:31 am

epf wrote:
Pink&Black wrote:The fanclubs only travel during Elvis week, which is the hottest time in Memphis. In May you have the Memphis in May festival which might be an additional reason to visit. I think KLM has direct flights to Memphis. I traveled to Memphis with my family in 2007, we stayed at the wonderful 'sleep inn' in downtown Memphis. This was really close to a trolley stop. ( the trolley makes a loop around downtown, taking you anywhere for 50 cents or something) You could also stay closer to Graceland (which is about 10 miles from downtown) and stay at The Heartbreak Hotel or one of the other motels in the neighbourhood. Whatever you decide to do, you'll have a wonderful time. Memphis is a great city and the people are really friendly and helpful. Hope you'll have a wonderfull trip.

Good to read that you had a great time. Thanks for the additional tips and information. It looks like making your own trip is the way to go for me. The information on the trolley is very handy indeed!

If it is your first trip I would advise to go with a fanclub. You would not want to miss anything. Elvis For Everyone had a lot of experience, relatively cheap and very very friendly tour guides.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:49 am

These two websites contain lots of information and advice about visiting Memphis and Graceland.

http://www.elvis.com/

This is EPE’s site and there is valuable information under the tab, “Graceland.” Of special note are the sub-sections, “Specials and Packages,” “Visiting Memphis,” and “International Visitors.”

Below is the official site for Memphis Tourism. Especially helpful is the tab called “Plan Your Visit.” (Be sure to check out the “Coupons and Special Offers” section under this tab.)

http://www.memphistravel.com/

Both of these sites have coupons for various local tour companies. Memphis resident and long-time Elvis fan, Mike Freeman, also gives personalized tours of Memphis and Tupelo. Just google “Mike Freeman Memphis” for info on Mike’s tours.

Sadly, many hotels in the Graceland/Airport area are rather "sketchy." If you want to stay close to Graceland, the Heartbreak Hotel or possibly the Days Inn Graceland, would be your best choices.

Downtown Memphis is about a 20-minute drive from Graceland. While staying downtown is generally a bit more expensive, you should be able to locate some good off-season deals. (Also, be sure you stay somewhere that offers a "complimentary" breakfast!) Staying downtown puts you in close proximity to numerous other Memphis attractions. Many of these attractions can be reached on foot, with the trolley, or by a short cab ride. As in any big city, be aware of your surroundings and, as a general rule, don't walk anywhere after dark.

Another option might be to stay in either the Southaven, Mississippi or Horn Lake, Mississippi areas. Southaven is about 7.75km from Graceland and Horn Lake is about 12km from Graceland. Many fans choose to stay in these areas because accommodations there are safe, convenient to Graceland, and economically priced.

Good luck -- and keep us posted. :)

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:28 am

Pink&Black wrote: I think KLM has direct flights to Memphis.

They did, but sadly not anymore.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:34 pm

elvis for everyone does elvis travels too i heard
but it,s elvis time does this for years now
and there are good whit it i heard
jan

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:02 pm

swagers wrote:elvis for everyone does elvis travels too i heard
but it,s elvis time does this for years now
and there are good whit it i heard
jan

http://www.elvisreizen.com/elvisusatours.html

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 pm

http://www.connexx-test.nl/elvismatters/index.asp

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:09 pm

epf wrote:Thanks Robert. How was your experience traveling on your own? How did you go about it? I don't mind a group but i want to go during the colder months. I will check them out tho. Really, really want to go.

First time I went with my dad, thanks to him I'm an Elvis fan.
We booked separate flight and hotel and we just explored Memhis for a week, great.

Second time with my (ex) girlfriend and we combined a couple of days Memphis (25th ann) with a full week driving around Florida and the keys, also great;)