Off Topic Messages

old radio shows 30s.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 am

Wonder how many exist that aren't released yet?
I've been restoring some of the early 30s Jack Benny show to listenable audio.Listening to these early shows after restoration They were originally done like the Tonight show with talking about headlines of that time frame etc. Some are so bad quality that parts are missing and skip due to poor storage etc.It's sad that nobody cared enough to save these and not let them get destroyed.
The same goes for all radio shows of the early 30s.

Re: old radio shows 30s.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:25 am

ritchie valens wrote:Wonder how many exist that aren't released yet?
I've been restoring some of the early 30s Jack Benny show to listenable audio.Listening to these early shows after restoration They were originally done like the Tonight show with talking about headlines of that time frame etc. Some are so bad quality that parts are missing and skip due to poor storage etc.It's sad that nobody cared enough to save these and not let them get destroyed.
The same goes for all radio shows of the early 30s.

The 1929 "Amos & Andy" extant episodes need remastering for sure.

There are some great 30s shows. I'm currently listening to Jekyll & Hyde which is excellent - Doctor Christian which is thoroughly heartwarming and "Lum & Abner" which is pretty addictive. I have the complete 1939/40 season of Fibber McGee & Molly straight from the transcription discs in pristine well balanced sound. The musical numbers sound awesome. The pre-1939 F&M episodes are generally good quality with a few poor ones, but they could all do with a revamp.

Of course the 1940s period was generally a better listening experience due to production values being drastically improved due to the huge amount of money pumped in via sponsers. And the 50s had some timeless shows - even if Radio's golden age was reaching an end, it certainly wasn't diminishing in quality. Shows like "the Six Shooter", "X Minus One" and the serialised "Yours Truly - Johnny Dollar" shows were some of the finest radio programs ever made.

http://archive.org/details/001WakeUpMusic <---- here's a link to the best ever and most complete version of the complete WJSV Washington 19 hour broadcast from Thursday 21st September 1939 which I uploaded to the archive. Still one of my favourite pieces of audio ever!

I have many first generation transciption disc quality radio shows from the 30s-40s-50s period Ritchie. Contact me if you ever wanna discuss them or swap files.