Off Topic Messages

If you love me (let me know)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:33 pm

This is the second track i recorded at a studio bout 2 months ago.
Hope you appriciate it and let me know what you think.

phpBB [video]

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:50 pm

I'd love to hear a song with you trying to sound a little more like Johnny.

I do love you, by the way.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:06 pm

Rob wrote:I'd love to hear a song with you trying to sound a little more like Johnny.

I do love you, by the way.


I am sounding like myself..
i not forcing my voice.. if thats what ur after.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:09 pm

::rocks BRAVO ::rocks

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:21 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:This is the second track i recorded at a studio bout 2 months ago.
Hope you appriciate it and let me know what you think.

phpBB [video]



The track is very well produced and sounds pleasant to the ear.

Having said that, the song selection and arrangement are taken 100% from Elvis' 1970s live performances. Creating the video with wall-to-wall images of Presley serves to underscores this fact.

So, you have achieved somewhat of a Pyrrhic victory.

I am curious if you also did the J.D. Sumner bass part, which was an unexpected bonus.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:32 am

I think that midnightx' opinion is the one you should seek when it comes to this song.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:25 am

Straining your voice to try to sound like Elvis has killed it. Because to be honest it sounds like a '77 Elvis version with him being even twice as unhealthy to the point that he may even very well die before the song is even finished.

Try the next one with your real voice and see what happens. :wink:
A message to all the ETA's ---> We all have our own lives for a reason, don't live someone else's. Only Elvis could be Elvis.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:08 am

I really feel uncomfortable commenting on a performance of someone who is actually reading it, but there's something more general I'd like to address.

Nothing to do with you, okay? This is an observation I've come to, after so many times tripping over covers on YouTube, accidentally. (And then there was E.T.A. Week on Letterman . . .)

Ok. It seems to me that the "typical E.T.A. voice" -- from Ronnie McDowell on down . . . is that it tends to emulate Elvis when his voice was broken. We have to admit that at a certain point in the '70s, his voice was just . . . I don't know the best way to put it, but it was broken. Never mind the reasons, it became overly nasal, thinner (compensated for by trying to bloat it up), and not the voice that launched a thousand rockers. Not that voice. And it's pretty rare to find E.T.A.'s who can do his voice when it was at its zenith: in the early '60s, and the late '60s. You don't generally hear that sound from E.T.A.s. You hear the voice when it was in bad shape.

Now, in some cases, singers who lost their voices managed to compensate successfully; it's not something one plans on, so I guess it was trial and error, but Billie Holiday would be the case in point. And what happened to Elvis was not something he planned upon either, and sometimes - not terribly often, but sometimes, he got it right despite the hurdle of a voice that was out of commission. The problem with that is when someone else tries to emulate that, they don't realize what they are emulating! So, it comes out sounding clichéd. They are emulating Elvis struggling to sing - but THEY have uninjured voices, so it doesn't really sound natural. In fact, it generally sounds unnatural. Not referring to anyone in particular, but to the phenomenon in general.

Here's Ronnie, with his BIG HIT, right after Elvis died. You can hear the voice he's emulating, and it's not the voice of "Any Day Now" or "Reconsider Baby," or what have you . . .

phpBB [video]



E.T.A.s hardly EVER sound like THIS!

phpBB [video]



So, if you wanna sing a cool Elvis song, just sound like YOURSELF! It really works!

phpBB [video]



In any event, that was a nice performance, Johnny. If you're talented, and you are, you'll eventually find your own voice, that sings your own song. (I don't mean that literally; you can sing any song you like, so long it's coming from YOU, expresses what you wish to express, and doesn't sound like anyone else.)

I wish you all the best!

rjm
P.S. -- I don't necessarily hate that song, although I'm not an Olivia Newton John fan by ANY means. But he tries to give it a little gospel feel - it's a good effort by Elvis, and he liked the song. I believe he said it was "a happy song." The words are kind of like "you keep me hangin' on." Or "Release Me." That idea. I would have preferred . . . "Sunday Morning Coming Down." But he was Elvis, and I'm not.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:This is the second track i recorded at a studio bout 2 months ago.
Hope you appriciate it and let me know what you think.

phpBB [video]



The track is very well produced and sounds pleasant to the ear.

Having said that, the song selection and arrangement are taken 100% from Elvis' 1970s live performances. Creating the video with wall-to-wall images of Presley serves to underscores this fact.

So, you have achieved somewhat of a Pyrrhic victory.

I am curious if you also did the J.D. Sumner bass part, which was an unexpected bonus.


It's a backing-track. Simply cause i wasnt recording with a live band behind me.
This was temporarily as a friend of mine wanted to share my recording.
A video will be shot whenever im back from my trip to the usa.
thank you doc for the compliment.
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:07 pm

rjm wrote:I really feel uncomfortable commenting on a performance of someone who is actually reading it, but there's something more general I'd like to address.

Nothing to do with you, okay? This is an observation I've come to, after so many times tripping over covers on YouTube, accidentally. (And then there was E.T.A. Week on Letterman . . .)

Ok. It seems to me that the "typical E.T.A. voice" -- from Ronnie McDowell on down . . . is that it tends to emulate Elvis when his voice was broken. We have to admit that at a certain point in the '70s, his voice was just . . . I don't know the best way to put it, but it was broken. Never mind the reasons, it became overly nasal, thinner (compensated for by trying to bloat it up), and not the voice that launched a thousand rockers. Not that voice. And it's pretty rare to find E.T.A.'s who can do his voice when it was at its zenith: in the early '60s, and the late '60s. You don't generally hear that sound from E.T.A.s. You hear the voice when it was in bad shape.

Now, in some cases, singers who lost their voices managed to compensate successfully; it's not something one plans on, so I guess it was trial and error, but Billie Holiday would be the case in point. And what happened to Elvis was not something he planned upon either, and sometimes - not terribly often, but sometimes, he got it right despite the hurdle of a voice that was out of commission. The problem with that is when someone else tries to emulate that, they don't realize what they are emulating! So, it comes out sounding clichéd. They are emulating Elvis struggling to sing - but THEY have uninjured voices, so it doesn't really sound natural. In fact, it generally sounds unnatural. Not referring to anyone in particular, but to the phenomenon in general.

Here's Ronnie, with his BIG HIT, right after Elvis died. You can hear the voice he's emulating, and it's not the voice of "Any Day Now" or "Reconsider Baby," or what have you . . .

phpBB [video]



E.T.A.s hardly EVER sound like THIS!

phpBB [video]



So, if you wanna sing a cool Elvis song, just sound like YOURSELF! It really works!

phpBB [video]



In any event, that was a nice performance, Johnny. If you're talented, and you are, you'll eventually find your own voice, that sings your own song. (I don't mean that literally; you can sing any song you like, so long it's coming from YOU, expresses what you wish to express, and doesn't sound like anyone else.)

I wish you all the best!

rjm
P.S. -- I don't necessarily hate that song, although I'm not an Olivia Newton John fan by ANY means. But he tries to give it a little gospel feel - it's a good effort by Elvis, and he liked the song. I believe he said it was "a happy song." The words are kind of like "you keep me hangin' on." Or "Release Me." That idea. I would have preferred . . . "Sunday Morning Coming Down." But he was Elvis, and I'm not.


Thank you RJM.
It was hard to do the recording.
I was really nervous as the guy i recorded at i only met him once in the same week.
But the moment i started singing i felt good and calm, I didnt try to sound like elvis at all, if i gave that impression im sorry.
I recorded 3 demo recordings. Always on my mind with a live played piano next to me
I want you, i need you i love you, if you love me let me done where done with backing tracks. And the one the people i know liked most was this one. some wanted to share it thats the reason i put it on youtube quick with some elvis photo's. Some even wanna film a music-video with it.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:52 pm

Johnny2523 wrote: I didnt try to sound like elvis at all, .


A song that charted on 2 different billboards at #1 by Olivia Newton John, and yet you used Elvis' pictures to theme the Youtube Video, and even added the J.D. Sumner bass part, and posted it on an Elvis Presley forum. C'mon Johnny we all have ears. :facep:

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:36 am

Well, my opinion is: you do not sound like Elvis, but does sound like an ETA. That is a problem for my ears and probably this is what other friends are trying to say.

Don't get me wrong, you sang it fine but very similar to ETA's....

Anyway, this afternoon my brother and I recorded together "For The Good Times". Hope you all like it. Feel free to comment if you like it or not LOL:

phpBB [video]

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:52 am

promiseland wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote: I didnt try to sound like elvis at all, .


A song that charted on 2 different billboards at #1 by Olivia Newton John, and yet you used Elvis' pictures to theme the Youtube Video, and even added the J.D. Sumner bass part, and posted it on an Elvis Presley forum. C'mon Johnny we all have ears. :facep:


if u read my other reply you would see that this was just a quick upload so others could share..
And that a real musicvideo will be shot AFTER my vacation.
THE JD part was in the backing track i didnt add it.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:00 am

Renan wrote:Well, my opinion is: you do not sound like Elvis, but does sound like an ETA. That is a problem for my ears and probably this is what other friends are trying to say.

Don't get me wrong, you sang it fine but very similar to ETA's....

Anyway, this afternoon my brother and I recorded together "For The Good Times". Hope you all like it. Feel free to comment if you like it or not LOL:

phpBB [video]



That's no problem and i do understand what you mean.
But i just sang it the way i sang it, the ETA's usually go into the higher parts that elvis would do sometimes in the 70's with this song. I just let the backing track run and sung on it. fact i dont like any ETA's really. Jamie aaron kelley i appriciate he's not a eta, aswell as ronnie mcdowelll.
with all those eta's its hard to not be compared to them i guess.
but this is just the way i sing, i dont force it, i dont try to impersonate elvis, i dont try anything i just sing.

Btw great job on ur song ::rocks

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:15 am

Renan wrote:Well, my opinion is: you do not sound like Elvis, but does sound like an ETA. That is a problem for my ears and probably this is what other friends are trying to say.

Don't get me wrong, you sang it fine but very similar to ETA's....

Anyway, this afternoon my brother and I recorded together "For The Good Times". Hope you all like it. Feel free to comment if you like it or not LOL:

phpBB [video]



Nicely done!

A backing track? That's okay - heck, Elvis did it with The Kingston Trio. They made a "singalong" album.

People should listen more to those Karaoke things that Elvis himself did. He experiments a lot, and never just sings along. It's like a guide as to how to use a record as a backing track.

Anyway, I like your recording, Renan.

rjm (also nice work, Johnny)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:56 am

Johnny2523 wrote:This is the second track i recorded at a studio bout 2 months ago.
Hope you appriciate it and let me know what you think.

phpBB [video]




Yes, good singing.

I have reservations about the Elvis sound - it's too Elvisy and therefore likely to draw attention to that fact.

But, I can understand that. When I studied classical vocal, my style was similar to my teachers- both the female and the male ones! I had spent so much time learning from them that some people could recognize who my teachers were just from my style.

You may have unconsciously absorbed the Elvis style and now find it hard to sing in another voice.

It might be useful if you tried a non-Elvis song. You could discover your own voice when singing something that is less familiar than the songs that you, maybe, know too well.

But still, you did sing it a little differently from your major influence, here and there, so well done.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:00 am

Suds wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:This is the second track i recorded at a studio bout 2 months ago.
Hope you appriciate it and let me know what you think.

phpBB [video]




Yes, good singing.

I have reservations about the Elvis sound - it's too Elvisy and therefore likely to draw attention to that fact.

But, I can understand that. When I studied classical vocal, my style was similar to my teachers- both the female and the male ones! I had spent so much time learning from them that some people could recognize who my teachers were just from my style.

You may have unconsciously absorbed the Elvis style and now find it hard to sing in another voice.

It might be useful if you tried a non-Elvis song. You could discover your own voice when singing something that is less familiar than the songs that you, maybe, know too well.

But still, you did sing it a little differently from your major influence, here and there, so well done.


Thank you :),
I appriciate ur comment

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:04 pm

i already let my feelings about this be known in another thread that Johnny posted on this board ("Big Boss Man" on the Youtube section of this board), but i'll say a few more things on this subject.
To the people who complimented Johnny on his vocals: if someone's singing is not very good, then don't tell them they sound great. That only encourages them to continue their same style of singing and not fix what is wrong with their voice or style. That has been the big downfall with karaoke in night clubs. Tone deaf singers are told they sound great by the DJs and they continue to sing time and time again and chase away all the customers.Studio time for someone who can't sing very well? i hope that studio time was a freebie and if i were you, i would buy a home karaoke system, outfit yourself with karaoke tracks from other artists, practice a lot of other artists' songs and try being yourself and save yourself some money on a studio.Don't kid yourself into believing you will be the next big thing in music because you sound fantastic. Why did you ever go into a studio in the first place? You hoped to be discovered and become a big star? Not likely. Getting contracted to an agency as an Elvis impersonator? You say you aren't one so i guess if you were offered $$$ to become one you'd refuse...correct? (that's not likely to happen because money talks).
In the other thread, you say you sing for your own enjoyment, yet, this is at least the 3rd song you've posted here and asked for comments on your songs.
I don't candy-coat anything , i tell it like it is.
I'll look forward to hearing you sound like yourself on a future non-Elvis recording (not likely to happen).

Have a nice day :)

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:00 pm

elvisbot wrote:i already let my feelings about this be known in another thread that Johnny posted on this board ("Big Boss Man" on the Youtube section of this board), but i'll say a few more things on this subject.
To the people who complimented Johnny on his vocals: if someone's singing is not very good, then don't tell them they sound great. That only encourages them to continue their same style of singing and not fix what is wrong with their voice or style. That has been the big downfall with karaoke in night clubs. Tone deaf singers are told they sound great by the DJs and they continue to sing time and time again and chase away all the customers.Studio time for someone who can't sing very well? i hope that studio time was a freebie and if i were you, i would buy a home karaoke system, outfit yourself with karaoke tracks from other artists, practice a lot of other artists' songs and try being yourself and save yourself some money on a studio.Don't kid yourself into believing you will be the next big thing in music because you sound fantastic. Why did you ever go into a studio in the first place? You hoped to be discovered and become a big star? Not likely. Getting contracted to an agency as an Elvis impersonator? You say you aren't one so i guess if you were offered $$$ to become one you'd refuse...correct? (that's not likely to happen because money talks).
In the other thread, you say you sing for your own enjoyment, yet, this is at least the 3rd song you've posted here and asked for comments on your songs.
I don't candy-coat anything , i tell it like it is.
I'll look forward to hearing you sound like yourself on a future non-Elvis recording (not likely to happen).

Have a nice day :)


First of all..
Don't kid yourself into believing you will be the next big thing in music because you sound fantastic
I never sayd i was, so this is a stupid comment.

Why did you ever go into a studio in the first place? You hoped to be discovered and become a big star? Not likely
Nope. I went into a studio to cut some songs, because i love singing, and others (relatives, friends, ex-school teachers) believed in me.

Getting contracted to an agency as an Elvis impersonator? You say you aren't one so i guess if you were offered $$$ to become one you'd refuse...correct
I would refuse!. Because i wouldnt be standing singing songs in a elvis costume, and if i ever WOULD they would be either two-piece suites and not rhinestones

In the other thread, you say you sing for your own enjoyment, yet, this is at least the 3rd song you've posted here and asked for comments on your songs.
I don't candy-coat anything , i tell it like it is.
I'll look forward to hearing you sound like yourself on a future non-Elvis recording

Yes I sing for my own enjoyement, and if others get a kick out of it then whats the problem?. I posted it here cause i like to hear feedback, but what you do is just slander my name all over the place, i havent heard u sing. (Not likely that u could). This is my voice, I didnt force anything, i didnt try anything, i just sing the way i sing. If u don't like it, then im sorry for u, But your advise is not taken, coz ur as worse as a BULLY can get. ;)

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:46 pm

why do you consider my comments slander? Slander is when you say something damaging that isn't true and just because you don't want to hear it you say it's slander. And i don't flap my gums to hear myself talk. What i'm doing is giving you what you asked for....feedback. Don't ask for feedback and then get mad when someone sends you some. I don't have a tin ear and i know music very, very well so i am hearing everything you're putting out there. I also said that if you tried songs from other artists and sang as yourself, then you would probably be performing tunes that were less painful to listen to and maybe my opinion would change.. A singer who tries to perform in a style not suited to their voice, is likely to fail miserably in their attempts. You say you don't try to sound like Elvis, you just do. You know how many impersonators say this same thing to make themselves sound better? All of them. It's an old story that has worn thin on my ears. Your voice is not suited to trying to sound like Elvis...at all. Have you ever tried country music? Maybe pop or easy listening?
as far as you saying i can't sing....you don't know me, and.....well, you'd be surprised if you knew who was behind this keyboard right now typing this message.
nuff said. :smt006

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 am

Whenever I listen to an ETA trying to sound like Elvis..........this is the only image I get that comes to mind.... :facep: :facep: :facep:


Image

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:19 am

promiseland wrote:Straining your voice to try to sound like Elvis has killed it. Because to be honest it sounds like a '77 Elvis version with him being even twice as unhealthy to the point that he may even very well die before the song is even finished.

Try the next one with your real voice and see what happens. :wink:
A message to all the ETA's ---> We all have our own lives for a reason, don't live someone else's. Only Elvis could be Elvis.


I think if Elvis could sing Hurt, You gave me a Mountain, Trying to get to You, How great thou Art, My Way etc., and rock out on See See Rider, That's Alright etc., he could most definitely make it through "If you love me"!!! But if you think different, let me know, if not, then just move it. 8)

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:56 am

elvisbot wrote:why do you consider my comments slander? Slander is when you say something damaging that isn't true and just because you don't want to hear it you say it's slander. And i don't flap my gums to hear myself talk. What i'm doing is giving you what you asked for....feedback. Don't ask for feedback and then get mad when someone sends you some. I don't have a tin ear and i know music very, very well so i am hearing everything you're putting out there. I also said that if you tried songs from other artists and sang as yourself, then you would probably be performing tunes that were less painful to listen to and maybe my opinion would change.. A singer who tries to perform in a style not suited to their voice, is likely to fail miserably in their attempts. You say you don't try to sound like Elvis, you just do. You know how many impersonators say this same thing to make themselves sound better? All of them. It's an old story that has worn thin on my ears. Your voice is not suited to trying to sound like Elvis...at all. Have you ever tried country music? Maybe pop or easy listening?
as far as you saying i can't sing....you don't know me, and.....well, you'd be surprised if you knew who was behind this keyboard right now typing this message.
nuff said. :smt006


Would everybody be surprised? Ah, now you've created a mystery!

I would say . . . a producer? Hmmm.

rjm ("slander my name all over the place" is from "Blue Suede Shoes")

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:10 pm

elvisbot wrote:why do you consider my comments slander? Slander is when you say something damaging that isn't true and just because you don't want to hear it you say it's slander. And i don't flap my gums to hear myself talk. What i'm doing is giving you what you asked for....feedback. Don't ask for feedback and then get mad when someone sends you some. I don't have a tin ear and i know music very, very well so i am hearing everything you're putting out there. I also said that if you tried songs from other artists and sang as yourself, then you would probably be performing tunes that were less painful to listen to and maybe my opinion would change.. A singer who tries to perform in a style not suited to their voice, is likely to fail miserably in their attempts. You say you don't try to sound like Elvis, you just do. You know how many impersonators say this same thing to make themselves sound better? All of them. It's an old story that has worn thin on my ears. Your voice is not suited to trying to sound like Elvis...at all. Have you ever tried country music? Maybe pop or easy listening?
as far as you saying i can't sing....you don't know me, and.....well, you'd be surprised if you knew who was behind this keyboard right now typing this message.
nuff said. :smt006


This has been exactly my point.
Johnny doesn't sound like Elvis, but trying to sound like Elvis , and the point is NO-ONE has that magic that Elvis had, but singing to mimic his singing style always sounds the same ---> TERRIBLE...I really wish they would just get a life and stop.

Re: If you love me (let me know)

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:07 am

promiseland wrote:
elvisbot wrote:why do you consider my comments slander? Slander is when you say something damaging that isn't true and just because you don't want to hear it you say it's slander. And i don't flap my gums to hear myself talk. What i'm doing is giving you what you asked for....feedback. Don't ask for feedback and then get mad when someone sends you some. I don't have a tin ear and i know music very, very well so i am hearing everything you're putting out there. I also said that if you tried songs from other artists and sang as yourself, then you would probably be performing tunes that were less painful to listen to and maybe my opinion would change.. A singer who tries to perform in a style not suited to their voice, is likely to fail miserably in their attempts. You say you don't try to sound like Elvis, you just do. You know how many impersonators say this same thing to make themselves sound better? All of them. It's an old story that has worn thin on my ears. Your voice is not suited to trying to sound like Elvis...at all. Have you ever tried country music? Maybe pop or easy listening?
as far as you saying i can't sing....you don't know me, and.....well, you'd be surprised if you knew who was behind this keyboard right now typing this message.
nuff said. :smt006


This has been exactly my point.
Johnny doesn't sound like Elvis, but trying to sound like Elvis , and the point is NO-ONE has that magic that Elvis had, but singing to mimic his singing style always sounds the same ---> TERRIBLE...I really wish they would just get a life and stop.


Wrong and wrong.. I just sayd I dont try that, and i never sayd i tried to sound like elvis either.

u really took 4 days to write that?...