Off Topic Messages

Recommendations for Paul McCartney's best rock songs.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Would anyone on this forum recommend to me Paul McCartney's best rock songs during his Wings and solo career?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Recommendations for Paul McCartney's best rock songs.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:28 pm

You can never fail with songs like Band on the Run, Jet, Let Me Roll It or Live and Let Die. Or the following:

One of my personal favorites is Too Many People (from Ram) :

phpBB [video]

1985:

phpBB [video]

Junior's Farm:

phpBB [video]

Soily:

phpBB [video]

The Mess is fun:

phpBB [video]

Fine Line from his 2005 Chaos and Creation in the Backyard album:

phpBB [video]

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:40 pm

Pulsating B-side from the "Flaming Pie" sessions.
Features Ringo on drums, too.

phpBB [video]

Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:57 pm

What It Is is another one of my favorite seldom heard McCartney gems from 1999. This one was all about Linda:

phpBB [video]

“I was playing bluesy riffs on the piano and this song started to come out. Linda was there and I enjoyed it just for that, for the little feedback she gave. So I thought I’ll do that as sort of my little tribute to Linda.”

And Run Devil Run is a very nice McCartney composition from the same album:

phpBB [video]

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 am

Not a rock song... many of Pauls' sound a bit Status Quo ish to me... but my fave record by him (and Wings) is Silly Love Songs. It was released in the UK just in time for the sizzling Summer of 76. It was constantly on the jukebox in the busy cafe where i had a summer job and hearing it always takes me back to that care-free period of my life. Another was Elton John and Kiki Dee's Don't Go Breaking My Heart. Great times, great tunes!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:05 am

elvisalisellers wrote:Pulsating B-side from the "Flaming Pie" sessions.
Features Ringo on drums, too.

phpBB [video]

Nice B-side from a great, great album. I think Jeff Lynne plays guitar on this little jam.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 am

phpBB [video]

this one rocks!!!!!

phpBB [video]

this one is about the ghost of George Harrison...

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:01 am

Silly Love Songs oddly seems to be a favorite of many on this forum. Is it a rock song? Perhaps. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:21 pm

midnightx wrote:Silly Love Songs oddly seems to be a favorite of many on this forum. Is it a rock song? Perhaps. But I wouldn't recommend it.

Anyone in the UK who is old enough to remember the Summer of 76 must be partial to this song. I suppose it's not always about the technical or vocal quality of a song, it's what it means to the listner. Wether it be for the memories of a great period in their life or, for whatever reason, it represents more than just music to them. I wouldn't class it as a Rock song btw... done by a Rock Band yes! But very middle of the road in direction. It's as tame as hell, but i love it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgUPxgqnfA

Two minutes into the video, the way they pay tribute to the yet to be released "Moody Blue" album cover is really neat!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:21 pm

phpBB [video]