Off Topic Messages

Rare and amazing color footage of New York in 1939

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:07 am

This is remarkable color footage of 1939 New York. It was filmed in 16mm Kodachrome by Jean Vivier, a French tourist.

An amazing window into another time...

phpBB [video]

Re: Rare and amazing color footage of New York in 1939

Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:13 am

That really is amazing!!! Thank you for sharing!!

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 am

BrianTCB wrote:That really is amazing!!! Thank you for sharing!!

You're welcome, BrianTCB! I love it when old, quality footage is found. It makes you wonder what else is out there.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:10 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:That really is amazing!!! Thank you for sharing!!

You're welcome, BrianTCB! I love it when old, quality footage is found. It makes you wonder what else is out there.

It's a reminder of how simple and good life used to be in the "good ol' days".

Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:37 am

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. Great footage!

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:43 am

Fantastic footage, thank you for sharing!

I only wish they had preserved the original aspect ratio instead of cropping it for widescreen.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:26 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Fantastic footage, thank you for sharing!

I only wish they had preserved the original aspect ratio instead of cropping it for widescreen.

That's a really good point, HoneyTalkNelson! I wonder why the folks who uploaded it did that? It's fake widescreen. (I think I've seen versions of Elvis' Aloha show on YouTube where that was done, too.)

Still, it's amazing footage. The footage came from Romano-Archives:

http://romanoarchives.altervista.org/

I wonder if it was shot on something like this:

But the footage is pretty sharp and well shot so maybe they were more than amateurs and shot it on a Bell & Howell 16mm Filmo? The camera is pretty study and the Filmos are heavy so that would reduce shakiness.

Last edited by InheritTheWind on Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:30 am

Hard to tell which camera was used but the quality is excellent!

Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:37 am

Great footage- what strikes me immediately is how clean NYC was in that period. Amazing!

Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:05 am

Great footage, but, seems a little more 40's-ish, but possibly 1939.

Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Stunning, thank you.

It's like watching "The Godfather", beautiful colours, great imagery.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks!

I'm gonna put that on the big TV, and show my dad. Better than always watching the Military Channel, and he was a lot younger when this was shot.

All of the adults you see are likely gone. But the children? Many of them are all scattered around. Some are wearing that blue vest at your local Wal-Mart: old people. When you see an older person, remember the children in this footage. And think of them when they were jumping through the water! :D

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Fabulous! A++++++++

Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:01 am

Fabulous color footage... Thank you for sharing!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:00 am

This is indeed incredible. Thank you for sharing!

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:19 am

InheritTheWind wrote:This is remarkable color footage of 1939 New York. It was filmed in 16mm Kodachrome by Jean Vivier, a French tourist.

phpBB [video]

1939 looks dull and boring! I wouldn't want to live in those times!

Elvis brought colour and energy to the world!

By the way speaking of time is time an illusion :?: ? In this website http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... n-illusion there is a lot of arguments for it, but why do we forget things if everytime and all of time is now???

Just wanted to confuse some people in here that's all :smt005

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:18 am

Wow. What brilliant footage. Thanks for sharing ITW.

It's funny, but we don't seem to equate the past with colour. It's all in black and white. Somehow, colour makes it all real and something we can identify with today. The people in that footage are no different than we are today. They all had hopes, dreams, fears, ambitions. They loved their kids and worried about paying their bills.

Like rjm said, none of the adults in that film would be alive today. Footage like this gives you a glimpse of what the world was like when it was "their turn". Outstanding.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:23 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:1939 looks dull and boring! I wouldn't want to live in those times!

As great as the benefits of the digital world are, I prefer a world where people had to pay more attention to their thoughts than looking for outside stimulus from technology. In 1939 there were few forms of media. There was no TV and radio was more or less coming out of its infancy. There was more reading of books, magazines, and newspapers. Listening to the radio forced your imagination to picture what was happening. If someone wanted to be entertained they had to do a little more than turn on their computer in another room in their home. Our present world leaves little to the imagination. Everything is presented in a casual nature with very little of anything possessing a commanding presence. There are more distractions than ever.

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:Elvis brought colour and energy to the world!

Perhaps he did, but he came along during a time that was just a little more advanced than the world of '39. Really just a decade and a half later. By then of course there was TV, but people weren't over stimulated. If it wasn't at that place and time maybe he wouldn't have had such an impact. The argument could be made that there were artists prior to Elvis that also brought color and energy. Sinatra, Billie Holiday, Chaplin, Buster Keaton, the list goes on. They had their own form of energy that still exists today.

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:By the way speaking of time is time an illusion :?: ? In this website http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... n-illusion there is a lot of arguments for it, but why do we forget things if everytime and all of time is now???

We'll never know what 'time' really is. What we do know is that it's a concept that can be argued. Time is existence and existence is temporary. That's something we really don't understand that either. When you're here it's 'your time', when you're gone your 'time's up'.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:47 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:This is remarkable color footage of 1939 New York. It was filmed in 16mm Kodachrome by Jean Vivier, a French tourist.

phpBB [video]

1939 looks dull and boring! I wouldn't want to live in those times!

By the way speaking of time is time an illusion :?: ? In this website http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... n-illusion there is a lot of arguments for it, but why do we forget things if everytime and all of time is now???

Just wanted to confuse some people in here that's all :smt005

I love to be confused. Tomorrow (if it exists ;) ), will debut the fourth season of Through The Wormhole with Morgan Freeman. Love it.
Anyway, time exists, and is real because we just watched that film of dead people, alive! (Well, not all of them, but most of them.) They lived. They drank milk. Smoked a LOT of cigarettes. And were RECORDED. That is perhaps the most important practical and theoretical scientific advance in history: recording, whether audio or video. Film, tape, or digital.

When future generations look at video of us, it will totally freak them out! We look SO REAL! LOL!

See, if time is an illusion, then so are we. And, for the longest time, we could kind of believe that "life (was) but a walking shadow, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

But we just saw that guy, somebody's late grandpa, now fertilizer pushin' up those daisies, drink a glass of milk.

He was not a walking shadow drinking milk.

And I like that.

rjm

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:06 am

rjm wrote:When future generations look at video of us, it will totally freak them out! We look SO REAL! LOL!

rjm

Imagine someone from 2087 having access to the millions of hours of amateur YouTube footage from 2013. I hope they understand that some of the weirder stuff wasn't representative of a generation :)

Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am

TJ wrote:
rjm wrote:When future generations look at video of us, it will totally freak them out! We look SO REAL! LOL!

rjm

Imagine someone from 2087 having access to the millions of hours of amateur YouTube footage from 2013. I hope they understand that some of the weirder stuff wasn't representative of a generation :)

I didn't think about that! A generation of a mentally deranged populace!

At least, with those videos in the ether, they needn't worry about an alien invasion. No intelligent species would dare come to such a place.

ROFLMAO!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:57 pm

The same people have similar video footage on YouTube from the New York World Fair in 1939. Also a fascinating window into yester-year..
It really is amazing to watch.. and makes me sad at the same time. Everyone going about their normal business. Who were they all, and what did they do..
They never knew that over 70 years later, they'd be stars of a movie, on a technology that hadn't been invented yet..
And now they're all gone.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:15 pm

[quote="ElvisLive3August1969"][quote="InheritTheWind"]This is remarkable color footage of 1939 New York. It was filmed in 16mm Kodachrome by Jean Vivier, a French tourist.

So I guess the world really sucked before Elvis came along. Funny, I never heard my parents say that,

Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:33 pm

"1939 looks dull and boring! I wouldn't want to live in those times!"

You may be right. We have more of everything now. A lot more technology, convenience, choice, even prosperity.

Do you really think we are any happier than the people in that film?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:13 pm

wow 1 i really found it really facinating, what a great quality...and like other mentioned here we always reflected the past with black & white...but Reality is never like that !!! its always colour ;) i wouldnt say i would love to live way back in 1939....but 1959 is another thing ;)
Thank you for sharing this rare stuff
:smt006