Off Topic Messages

Well, I Got Laid Off

Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 am

Well, I was laid off Friday morning.

By a consultant. Who I recommended in the first place, BTW!

And I:

Type up to 120 wpm
Have an insane skill set (Linux server admin w/some mySQL, phpmyadmin, cpanel - SEO, web design, web development, HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.)
Just got three employee "stars" at the latest staff meeting (for recognition for compliments received from vendors)
Always had great performance reviews (just had a great review in December)
Never been written up
Never been warned
Always turned in high quality website design/coding work

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

Re: Well, I Got Laid Off

Thu May 30, 2013 5:35 am

Hang tough. Another, better job awaits you Brian!

Thu May 30, 2013 5:36 am

I'm sorry to hear that Brian. It looks like you have a ton of skills...you'll be back on your feet in no time!

Thu May 30, 2013 6:25 am

More time to watch EIC videos ! :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

Thu May 30, 2013 6:39 am

BrianTCB wrote:Well, I was laid off Friday morning.

And I:

Type up to 120 wpm
Have an insane skill set (Linux server admin w/some mySQL, phpmyadmin, cpanel - SEO, web design, web development, HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.)
Just got three employee "stars" at the latest staff meeting (for recognition for compliments received from vendors)
Never been written up
Never been warned

Don't be discouraged. This is an industry where layoffs happen all the time -- I've gone through it thrice, and you know how wonderful I am ;-)

Take a little, well-deserved break, fire up that high-quality import DVD of "Elvis In Concert" outtakes, and have a tall, cool one.

After a bit, put that great skill set up on LinkedIn and you'll get some offers.

http://www.linkedin.com/

And be sure to tell all your friends and colleagues you are available. Word-of-mouth is an excellent way to get some leads.

P.S. Elvis got laid off from work too. He did OK. ;-)

Thu May 30, 2013 7:09 am

And I:

Type up to 120 wpm
Never been written up
Never been warned

Maybe you made somebody nervous. Office politics? That sort of thing?

You have a wonderful resume. You're young. Maybe it was for the best. You'll get something right away. The future looks bright ahead!

All the best,
Robin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 am

And I:

Type up to 120 wpm
Never been written up
Never been warned

With those skills you won't be unemployed for long. About 4 years ago I was part of a mass layoff at a job I had for 8 years. I was unemployed for a total of one day before I was offered my present job in the Financial District in San Francsco. A much better job. Better things can and will happen to you! Good luck!

Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 am

I hope you find work soon.

In the meantime play a strat.
Just not mine.

Thu May 30, 2013 3:24 pm

Best wishes for better days ahead, Brian! Hang in there, and go get 'em...........

Thu May 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Here's a suggestion Brian...with the way the economy is ever changing and favoring more women than men for top positions, I'd say you should marry a woman who is the breadwinner. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. You'll just have to serve her meals and do household chores for her.

Have you read this thread concerning women in the workforce ???

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76977

I'm afraid the days of the alpha male are long gone. Women are taking over...and you know what ? I don't think it's all that bad.

Thu May 30, 2013 8:30 pm

All the best for the future mate

Thu May 30, 2013 8:53 pm

Good luck Brian.

Thu May 30, 2013 10:02 pm

You hang in there, Brian. Take a breather, remove the last word from your thread title, and things will work out. You're obviously talented enough to fall back on your feet.

Thu May 30, 2013 10:05 pm

Mister Mike wrote:You hang in there, Brian. Take a breather, remove the last word from your thread title.

I was going to say the same thing...... :smt003

You go Brian. Just know that we're all pullin' for ya in spite of the crummy circumstances life can bring us from time to time. You're a freakin' smart guy. There's no doubt you'll land a much better job with better pay in no time. :smt001

Re: Well, I Got Laid

Thu May 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Dunno when BrianTCB is returning to this topic, but if he just deletes the last word from his subject title, things will be going very well. ;-)

Thu May 30, 2013 10:39 pm

Best of luck Brian !

Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 am

rjm wrote:

And I:

Type up to 120 wpm
Never been written up
Never been warned

Maybe you made somebody nervous. Office politics? That sort of thing?

You have a wonderful resume. You're young. Maybe it was for the best. You'll get something right away. The future looks bright ahead!

All the best,
Robin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

That's pretty much exactly what happened. This same consultant said before that she thought I'm a genius. Apparently I became too much of a genius - because I was the only one in the firm who can completely run the entire site without any team assistance or assistance from an outside company.

Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

And I:

Type up to 120 wpm
Never been written up
Never been warned

Don't be discouraged. This is an industry where layoffs happen all the time -- I've gone through it thrice, and you know how wonderful I am ;-)

Take a little, well-deserved break, fire up that high-quality import DVD of "Elvis In Concert" outtakes, and have a tall, cool one.

After a bit, put that great skill set up on LinkedIn and you'll get some offers.

http://www.linkedin.com/

And be sure to tell all your friends and colleagues you are available. Word-of-mouth is an excellent way to get some leads.

P.S. Elvis got laid off from work too. He did OK. ;-)

Thank you, John!! I'm sorry to hear you were laid off before too - but I am glad you were able to bounce back! And yes! I remember how Elvis got laid off. Hey who knows what may happen right? The only way from here on out is up! :)

Fri May 31, 2013 1:36 am

InheritTheWind wrote:

And I:

Type up to 120 wpm
Never been written up
Never been warned

With those skills you won't be unemployed for long. About 4 years ago I was part of a mass layoff at a job I had for 8 years. I was unemployed for a total of one day before I was offered my present job in the Financial District in San Francsco. A much better job. Better things can and will happen to you! Good luck!

Wow!! That is pretty impressive, InheritTheWind! I'm happy to hear things turned out much better for you in the long run. :smt023

Fri May 31, 2013 1:37 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Here's a suggestion Brian...with the way the economy is ever changing and favoring more women than men for top positions, I'd say you should marry a woman who is the breadwinner. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever. You'll just have to serve her meals and do household chores for her.

Have you read this thread concerning women in the workforce ???

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... =2&t=76977

I'm afraid the days of the alpha male are long gone. Women are taking over...and you know what ? I don't think it's all that bad.

Hahaha TCB-FAN - I don't think it's all that bad, either ;)

Fri May 31, 2013 1:38 am

Mister Mike wrote:You hang in there, Brian. Take a breather, remove the last word from your thread title, and things will work out. You're obviously talented enough to fall back on your feet.

Bahahahahahaha...perhaps pretty soon I'll get lucky and removing that last word from my thread title will take place!! :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Re: Well, I Got Laid

Fri May 31, 2013 1:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Dunno when BrianTCB is returning to this topic, but if he just deletes the last word from his subject title, things will be going very well. ;-)

Haha - sorry about the thread absence, Doc. Just trying to keep myself from thinking about the situation too much.

Hey! Who knows! Perhaps I'll get lucky and some lucky lady will get to be a part of deleting the last word from my subject title. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ::rocks

Fri May 31, 2013 1:42 am

Sorry about the thread absence, everyone!

Thank you all for your support. It does mean a lot!! I couldn't help but smile at this thread. You guys made my day! :smt026

Fri May 31, 2013 1:59 am

BrianTCB wrote:Wow!! That is pretty impressive, InheritTheWind! I'm happy to hear things turned out much better for you in the long run. :smt023

Just wanted to let you know that sometimes sudden, unexpected change can actually be a good thing! Like I said, with your fantastic skills you won't be unemployed for long! :D

Fri May 31, 2013 4:38 am

So sorry to hear about your news, Brian. Hang in there, my friend. One door may have 'closed," but another door will begin to open for you. Please don't be discouraged. "Keep on seeking..., you will find...."!

rlj