Off Topic Messages

Re: Obama's Brick House!

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Blue River wrote:
elvissessions wrote:
How is the U.S. changing?

Well, for example, the long-overdue broad-based acceptance of gay rights and all the good things that go along with them, including marriage equality ... and fuller participation in organizations such as the Boy Scouts and the military.

Yeah, what a change. :facep:

You have a problem with gay people, too? C'mon, Blue River, you're smarter than that.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:34 pm

JaneTLC wrote:One thing that constantly puzzles me (I am English) about reaction to the current President of the United States, is these two fixations with him being a Muslim, or sympathising with Muslims (or Muslins, as it is sometimes picturesquely spelt). I have a lot of American friends, or interact with a lot of their friends, through Elvis, on FB, and I find myself biting my lip a lot. Occasionally I will comment, but it's fruitless, and when they START WRITING IN CAPITALS AT YOU, shortly before quoting the Bible, I usually either give up or defriend, because you can't argue with stupidity.

Anyway, on the first count, if he were a Muslim (Quaker/Hindu/Rastafarian/Zoroastrian/whatever), so what?
Doesn't the constitution guarantee the right to worship (or not worship) whoever you please?
Wasn't that one of the basic rights of Americans?

Secondly, I find it offensive that, as if all Muslims are evil, by default, the implication is that no POTUS should soil him or herself with them in any way. That is such a load of utter bollocks, and I am fed up of hearing it.

Excuse my French.

Actually, a person who is a Muslim has a better chance of being elected President of the United States than an atheist:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/athei ... dates.aspx

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:10 pm

80% would vote for a Mormom, but only 54% would vote for an Atheist? :smt003

Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:12 pm

JaneTLC wrote:80% would vote for a Mormom, but only 54% would vote for an Atheist? :smt003

Frightening, isn't it?

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Here you are Doc - not from a "conservative website":

http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/

phpBB [video]

Candidate Obama said:

“No more illegal wiretapping of American citizens,” candidate Barack Obama said in 2007. “No more national security letters to spy on citizens who are not suspected of a crime. No more tracking citizens who do nothing but protest a misguided war. No more ignoring the law when it is inconvenient.”

Those of you liberals and leftists who support Obama must be outraged by this policy of spying on Americans.

RKS

Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:12 pm

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Those of you liberals and leftists who support Obama must be outraged by this policy of spying on Americans.

It is amusing how you continue to name-call, yet expect a serious discussion, year after year after year.

Enjoy President Barack H. Obama in the White House, he will be there until January 2017.

President Barack Obama.JPG

Note: he was reelected not by "liberals and leftists," but by a broad cross-section of good Americans.

Have fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Those of you liberals and leftists who support Obama must be outraged by this policy of spying on Americans.

Note: he was reelected not by "liberals and leftists," but by a broad cross-section of good Americans.

Have fun!

+1

Yeah, it's called 'common sense', something that is very obviously lacking in the United States.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
It is amusing how you continue to name-call,

Name call? I didn't call you or anyone a name. Since when is being called a liberal name calling?

I stated your political philosophy (liberal) of which is on the "left" of the political spectrum. If that is not your political philosophy, then what is?

You can call me a conservative (which is on the "right" of the political spectrum), I have no problem with it.

You will use any excuse NOT to state your true opinion.

First you say:
"These people are affraid of how the U.S. is changing"

and then won't explain. And now you won't answer because of "name-calling". Very telling.

So you're O.K. with the Obama spying program? You guys crucified the previous administration for the surveillance program that was part of the Patriot Act - which at the time only tracked known terroists.

Now - not a word.

Playing politics with average Americans freedom.

Obama = NO CREDIBILITY!

RKS

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:01 am

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Name call? I didn't call you or anyone a name. Since when is being called a liberal name calling?
RKS

Let me try and explain. I'm not American but I have noticed that whenever I express an opinion that is not shared with the American right, they all start shrilly yelling "Liberal!", at me. I am not a liberal. I am not anything. I do not vote in the US, clearly; I am just expressing my opinion. I do not understand why that warrants rabid undereducated Republicans assuming anything about me.

It's very odd the way the word liberal is almost spat out at one, as it is evidently meant as an insult (from the other point of view).
I am always reminded of Elvis' monologue, where he says everyone was saying, "Watch him, he's a squirrel!"
You know, with liberal inserted instead of squirrel.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:29 am

JaneTLC wrote:
RKSNASHVILLE wrote:Name call? I didn't call you or anyone a name. Since when is being called a liberal name calling?
RKS

Let me try and explain. I'm not American but I have noticed that whenever I express an opinion that is not shared with the American right, they all start shrilly yelling "Liberal!", at me. I am not a liberal. I am not anything. I do not vote in the US, clearly; I am just expressing my opinion. I do not understand why that warrants rabid undereducated Republicans assuming anything about me.

It's very odd the way the word liberal is almost spat out at one, as it is evidently meant as an insult (from the other point of view).
I am always reminded of Elvis' monologue, where he says everyone was saying, "Watch him, he's a squirrel!"

Thank you for shedding some much needed light on this.

Isn't it funny how some love to use a word in a negative context then when you call them on it, all of the sudden the word reverts back to it's objective context. It's like the intellect of a fourth grader at the playground.

"Huh? Who me? I didn't call you no name, I was just saying what the word means and all. Your the one who's saying all the bad stuff and being mean."

They're not fooling anybody..
Last edited by intheghetto on Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:20 am

I don't watch this guy but I wonder how his man love for Obama is going now. Jon Stewart:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... vTORuB8TFY

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:47 am

chris wrote:I don't watch this guy but I wonder how his man love for Obama is going now. Jon Stewart:
phpBB [video]

Ha-ha, "man love," that's funny.

You say you "don't watch," so how do you know of such "affection"?

Don't answer, I don't care.

Jon Stewart has always been a voice of reason, intelligent and funny as hell, and carries the twin mantles of Will Rogers and Edward R. Murrow with great skill and passion.

You should watch "The Daily Show" as often as possible; you'll enjoy some hearty laughs while learning more about the world you live in.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 am

chris wrote:I don't watch this guy but I wonder how his man love for Obama is going now. Jon Stewart:

Jon Stewart, unlike the Fox-bots and those of that ilk, has a mind of his own and doesn't walk in lock-step with his perceived leader. If those on the right would take a similar approach maybe the issues at hand in the United States could be resolved with a little more swiftness.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:11 am

intheghetto wrote:
Jon Stewart, unlike the Doc-bots and those of that ilk, has a mind of his own and doesn't walk in lock-step with his perceived leader. If those on the left would take a similar approach maybe the issues at hand in the United States could be resolved with a little more swiftness.

Note intheghetto's post changed by iplayastrat
to bring it a little closer to home on the FECC.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:38 am

intheghetto wrote:

Jon Stewart, unlike the Fox-bots and those of that ilk, has a mind of his own and doesn't walk in lock-step with his perceived leader. If those on the right would take a similar approach maybe the issues at hand in the United States could be resolved with a little more swiftness.

If one has watched the show, one would know how stridently Stewart has criticized these policies (which, incidentally, started during the Dubya administration), and criticized the Obama administration on a variety of issues, but particularly in terms of his refusal to rip apart this unconstitutional invasion of privacy begun by the previous administration.

Check this out, and read, and listen. For a change! http://www.mediaite.com/tv/stewart-tears-apart-obama-you-cant-keep-saying-you-found-out-about-news-at-the-same-time-as-us/

There is nothing more clear than the 4th Amendment; it is not confusing or inelegantly written. Very plain, and these are clear violations. "Compromises" to protect our physical safety from ANYONE WHO MIGHT POSSIBLY BE A TERRORIST, are simply ways to "compromise" the 4th Amendment, which protects our fundamental right to be secure in our persons, houses, papers, and effects. It also prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures, and does not allow warrantless searches except upon probable cause. Those searches have already taken place, and that is wrong, and the most vociferous "liberals" have said so, LOUDLY. While conservatives, such as Lindsey Graham, have defended at least some of the practices, if not all of them.

Here's your "liberal" condoning these violations of our most fundamental freedoms. http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/lindsey-graham-nsa-tracking-phones-92330.html

Anything else you have to say about "liberals" in this matter is a LIE!

Jon Stewart has been possibly the MOST vocal critic of these policies, no matter who happened to be in power, so that is MORE than unfair; it is a lie.

Obama's failure here has not been to invent this scheme, which he most certainly did not, but to tolerate it in an age when almost all communication, of the most innocuous and necessary kind, is digital. To claim that your idea of "liberals" condone it is also a lie. We do not. And have not. And will not. But one thing you should know: it is almost always under progressive administrations, even when they're wrong, that progressive change can take place. If there are protests, there is much more chance of a progressive administration listening to those protests than a conservative one. That statistics have always been clear on that. I expect people of conscience to protest what W. Bush started, and I expect some changes to take place.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:46 am

iplayastrat wrote:
intheghetto wrote:
Jon Stewart, unlike the Doc-bots and those of that ilk, has a mind of his own and doesn't walk in lock-step with his perceived leader. If those on the left would take a similar approach maybe the issues at hand in the United States could be resolved with a little more swiftness.

Note intheghetto's post changed by iplayastrat
to bring it a little closer to home on the FECC.

I think I just disproved that, didn't I? :smt018

rjm

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:10 am

Good post rjm, but let's face it, there are indeed those who let their party affiliation determine their degree of opposition to such policies. Some will seek excuses when their side does the same thing that they slammed the other side for. Human nature I guess. The likes of Stewart and Cenk Uygur often make a lot of sense.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:19 am

rjm wrote:
Stewart has criticized these policies (which, incidentally, started during the Dubya administration), and criticized the Obama administration on a variety of issues, but particularly in terms of his refusal to rip apart this unconstitutional invasion of privacy begun by the previous administration.

conservatives, such as Lindsey Graham, have defended at least some of the practices, if not all of them.

Obama's failure here has not been to invent this scheme, but to tolerate it...

I expect people of conscience to protest what W. Bush started, and I expect some changes to take place.

rjm

Out of respect I don't call President Bush "Dubya". And I'm careful not to call
President Obama disrespectful names either. Lindsey Graham has lost all of
my respect after his statements on our privacy - or lack there of.

One of the biggest disappointments I had with President Bush was about this
very subject. I understand why it was put in to place, but in the end it's just
too big of an invasion of privacy. And clearly after today's news even most
liberals understand that not only did Obama keep the Bush policies in place,
but that he expanded them.

You might admit it RJM, but Doc and his loyal subjects won't. Turning a blind
eye to Benghazi and that "agency" that takes our money. And now the government
is tracking every American citizen. You guys are loyal to the end, I'd say.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:39 pm

rjm,
I am glad that Jon Stewart is "calling out" Obama on this issue - but that's just one. Most of the others either in the media and those on this board seem to be fine with what is happening in regards to the collection of data from everyday - law abiding Americans.

Bush was crucified for it and because now it's "our guy" doing it - it's O.K.

Stop playing politics. If it's wrong - it's wrong - no matter what party is doing it!

rjm wrote:
I expect people of conscience to protest what W. Bush started, and I expect some changes to take place.

I expect people of conscience to protest what Obama and the Democrats continued especially when they we're so adamantly against it.

But yesterday, President Obama defended the program and said it would continue. Sen. Diane Feinstein said the program was "necessary".

Doesn't look like it's going to change anytime soon - unless the American people rise up and say enough is enough!

RKS

Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:57 pm

JaneTLC wrote:
RKS

Good points .

Had George W. Bush not bombed the World Trade Centers, we wouldn't be in the invasion of privacy issue now.

Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:06 pm

promiseland wrote:
Had George W. Bush not bombed the World Trade Centers, we wouldn't be in the invasion of privacy issue now

Now you have lost all credibility. This is just kooky conspiracy. Nothing factual.

Is this how you detract away from the sins of Obama?

C'mon - you're better than this.

RKS

Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:35 pm

promiseland wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:
RKS

Good points .

Had George W. Bush not bombed the World Trade Centers, we wouldn't be in the invasion of privacy issue now.

What? On this point, RKS is right. That theory is nuts. I can't understand how anyone can believe that.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:51 am

promiseland wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:
RKS

Good points .

You are correct that 9/11 began the erosion of our civil liberties we continue to see in the news.

And stay healthy. History may one day, long after the evildoers are deceased, prove beyond any doubt the culpability of the Bush Administration in the horrific events of that day.

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:08 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
ian wrote:Oh my God, you democrats are unbelievable, just unbelievable!!!!!

Just remember: Paul McCartney loves Obama very, very much. :wink:

phpBB [video]

I don't care at all about US politics, but I just saw the complete DVD of this event last week and I have to agree with Paul here! LOL

phpBB [video]

Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:22 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
You are correct that 9/11 began the erosion of our civil liberties we continue to see in the news.

And the erosion not only continued but eroded even more, MUCH more with the current administration.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
And stay healthy. History may one day, long after the evildoers are deceased, prove beyond any doubt the culpability of the Bush Administration in the horrific events of that day.

And now there's 2 with ZERO credibility.

Move along - you bring nothing of substance to the discussion.

RKS