Off Topic Messages

Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Wed May 08, 2013 1:04 pm

From Sky News
Ray Harryhausen: Movie Legend Dies Aged 92
Special effects pioneer Ray Harryhausen - the "king of stop-motion animation" - has died at the age of 92.
Ray Harryhausen DiesRay Harryhousen with a model of Medusa
The Oscar-winner is best known for his work on the 1963 film Jason And The Argonauts and 1981's Clash Of The Titans.

"Ray has been a great inspiration to us all in the special visual industry," said Star Wars mastermind George Lucas.
Ray Harryhausen Dies Aged 92He has inspired generations of special effects artists
"The art of his earlier films, which most of us grew up on, inspired us so much. Without Ray Harryhausen there would likely have been no Star Wars."

Director Peter Jackson called The Lord Of The Rings his "Ray Harryhausen movie".
Ray Harryhausen Dies Aged 92A model of one of his best-known creations
"Without his life-long love of his wondrous images and storytelling it would never have been made - not by me at least," he said.

Steven Spielberg said Harryhausen's "inspiration goes with us forever" while Avatar director James Cameron stressed that Hollywood science fiction practitioners had been "standing on the shoulders of a giant".

Nick Park, the creator of Wallace & Gromit, called him the "king of stop-motion animation".
Ray Harryhausen Dies Aged 92Harryhausen manipulates a figure of a serpent-like monster
Harryhausen, who was born in Los Angeles in 1920, attributed his fascination with special effects to Willis O'Brien's creations in the 1933 classic King Kong.

Other credits throughout his distinguished career include It Came From Beneath the Sea (1955), One Million Years BC (1966) and three films based on the adventures of Sinbad.
Ray Harryhausen DiesModels of charaters from Clash Of The Titans
"Harryhausen's genius was in being able to bring his models alive," his family said in a statement.

"Whether they were prehistoric dinosaurs or mythological creatures, in Ray's hands they were no longer puppets.

"(They) became instead characters in their own right, just as important as the actors they played against - and in most cases even more so."

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Wed May 08, 2013 4:11 pm

I've long been a fan of Ray Harryhausen's work and am quite saddened by his passing. I don't think there's a film he was involved in as a creator of visual effects that I don't like -- and after all these years, as an adult, I still view the likes of Jason and the Argonauts, Mysterious Island, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, The Golden Voyage of Sindbad, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger and Clash of the Titans with wonder and awe. His creations were often unique, always inspired and remain pivotal in advancing the art of special effects within the motion picture industry. Stop-motion may be a thing of the past, but for a certain generation of movie fan, there will always be a nostalgia attached to remarkable creations such as the Children of the Hyrdra's Teeth, the Harpies that torment Phineas, Trogg, Gwangi and Kali. The recent documentary, Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan, is a loving and entertaining tribute to this great artist, and has proven to be quite timely.

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Wed May 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Agree it was a very good documentary and Jason and the Argonauts remains one of my all time favorites

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Wed May 08, 2013 4:25 pm

keninlincs wrote:Agree it was a very good documentary and Jason and the Argonauts remains one of my all time favorites


Me, too, Ken. The Blu-ray is superb, as are Blu-ray releases of The 7th Voyage of Sindbad, Clash of the Titans, Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers and Mysterious Island. The latter is, unfortunately, difficult to find at a reasonable price, being limited to 3,000 copies via Twilight Time. But they're all a joy to see in such wonderful quality.

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Wed May 08, 2013 4:34 pm

greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Agree it was a very good documentary and Jason and the Argonauts remains one of my all time favorites


Me, too, Ken. The Blu-ray is superb, as are Blu-ray releases of The 7th Voyage of Sindbad, Clash of the Titans, Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers and Mysterious Island. The latter is, unfortunately, difficult to find at a reasonable price, being limited to 3,000 copies via Twilight Time. But they're all a joy to see in such wonderful quality.

Is First men in the moon available on BR yet ?

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Wed May 08, 2013 10:02 pm

keninlincs wrote:
greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Agree it was a very good documentary and Jason and the Argonauts remains one of my all time favorites


Me, too, Ken. The Blu-ray is superb, as are Blu-ray releases of The 7th Voyage of Sindbad, Clash of the Titans, Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers and Mysterious Island. The latter is, unfortunately, difficult to find at a reasonable price, being limited to 3,000 copies via Twilight Time. But they're all a joy to see in such wonderful quality.

Is First men in the moon available on BR yet ?


Not yet, Ken. Perhaps next year with a 50th anniversary release.

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Thu May 09, 2013 2:14 pm

greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:
greystoke wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Agree it was a very good documentary and Jason and the Argonauts remains one of my all time favorites


Me, too, Ken. The Blu-ray is superb, as are Blu-ray releases of The 7th Voyage of Sindbad, Clash of the Titans, Earth Vs. the Flying Saucers and Mysterious Island. The latter is, unfortunately, difficult to find at a reasonable price, being limited to 3,000 copies via Twilight Time. But they're all a joy to see in such wonderful quality.

Is First men in the moon available on BR yet ?


Not yet, Ken. Perhaps next year with a 50th anniversary release.

Thanks Hugh,thats another must have

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

I was on holiday in New York in 1981, and by chance came across an exhibition of his work at the Museum Of Modern Art. I wish I'd paid a bit more attention at the time, but back then it was just something else to fill a few minutes on an afternoon. More fool me.

Re: Ray Harryhausen 1920-2013

Thu May 09, 2013 9:27 pm

Mysterious Island; 20 Million Miles To Earth and The Beast From 20,000 Fathons were the Ray Harryhausen films that made the biggest impression on me when I was a kid. Mr. Harryhausen was a true master of his craft. RIP